You might work for a private if.....

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I fail to see how the first one is an issue. And i still don't see why exposed tattoos are an issue at all. Seen it with FDs and PDs more, not to mention third service agencies.

I guess its different elsewhere, but exposed tatoos are not allowed around here. PD FD and 911EMS, its seen as unprofessional

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I guess its different elsewhere, but exposed tatoos are not allowed around here. PD FD and 911EMS, its seen as unprofessional

I'd say definitely a regional thing. I've worked in CO, TX, and NM, and never seen anyone be required to cover up. And now that I have one on my forearm it makes me happy that it's like that. To be honest, I figure once some of the old people start dying off, tattoos will start being more and more common...

EDIT: Just like, I'm assuming by reading posts by NJ EMTs on this forum and in CA too for that matter, by private EMS most of you think of IFT services. Whereas out here in NM and in TX, private EMS can easily refer to 911 services that just happen to be non-third service, non-fd, and non-hospital based services that are for-profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I'd say definitely a regional thing. I've worked in CO, TX, and NM, and never seen anyone be required to cover up. And now that I have one on my forearm it makes me happy that it's like that. To be honest, I figure once some of the old people start dying off, tattoos will start being more and more common...

EDIT: Just like, I'm assuming by reading posts by NJ EMTs on this forum and in CA too for that matter, by private EMS most of you think of IFT services. Whereas out here in NM and in TX, private EMS can easily refer to 911 services that just happen to be non-third service, non-fd, and non-hospital based services that are for-profit.

in nj we have 556 municipalities served by around 600 various EMS agencies,the significant majority of BLS services are volunteer squads, only th larger, busiest cities and townships have some kind of career EMS and most are run either through a township PD, FD ect, a few are hybrid. Very few private for-profit companies do 911. The private services to IFT or 911 to contracted facilities only. so yeah, private EMS in NJ is IFT, and its generally viewed as the dumping ground for those who "washed out" of 911 service

Sasha

Forum Chief
Your trucks are fully stocked with stolen sani-wipes taken from your favorite emergency rooms...

And stolen gloves.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

daine.scott

Forum Probie
When you are asked to reach the hospital in 10 min which is impossible in such a messy vehicle
When sometimes you alone pick up the stretcher with the family member of the patient
When your company believes that the break can be added on to next day

Anjel

Forum Angel

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
man, this thread makes me glad I work for a good private service now because most of this stuff actually applies more the the local county services than it does to ours lol... guess we're backwards

btkspot89

Forum Probie
When you go through 3 trucks in one day because one won't start, one is shooting smoke out the tailpipe anytime your foot is on the pedal, and the last one decides to stall on the highway. Then the fleet departments asks you to stop breaking their trucks. In response to this Operations gives you another crappy truck because they fear you will do damage to their newer trucks which sit.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
When you call in about truck issues and they ask you drive it back:
1: brakes gave out, and hit a tree, (no damage)
2: back axle broke and read duals passed us.

on #2 dispatch refused to send a tow until we talked to maintenance and he asked us if we would drive it back also

jemt

Forum Crew Member
When they ask you to work extra shifts than complain to you about all the OT your working and ask how its happening.

When the E.R. staff looks at you funny when you say your companies name.

911 trucks don't even acknowledge you on the road.

You can still make out of the names of the city/township your rig came from.

Half the lights/buttons don't work on the ambulance.

Your stretcher looks like its from 1970.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
You have to leave one of the units running all day for fear the battery will drain and die (and it will) should you turn it off and on too many times.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
When new employees pop up once a week.