You might work for a private if.....

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
-If you work with state of the art equipment newer and more elaborate than surrounding public services.

-If your front line ambulances never exceed 5 years of 300,000kms before becoming a backup

-If your continuing medical education program exceeds the mandatory requirements and includes vehicle safety, proper lifting and moving, and clinical development.

-If your company provides multiple public education and public safety training at no cost.

-If you make more money than your boss does because he makes sure you get your pay first and your patients get the best care you can provide before he takes care of himself.

-If you have a benefits and health plan package that is better than that provided to government agencies.

Then you might just work for a private company like me. They're not all bad, sometimes someone does it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
-If you work with state of the art equipment newer and more elaborate than surrounding public services.

-If your front line ambulances never exceed 5 years of 300,000kms before becoming a backup

-If your continuing medical education program exceeds the mandatory requirements and includes vehicle safety, proper lifting and moving, and clinical development.

-If your company provides multiple public education and public safety training at no cost.

-If you make more money than your boss does because he makes sure you get your pay first and your patients get the best care you can provide before he takes care of himself.

-If you have a benefits and health plan package that is better than that provided to government agencies.

Then you might just work for a private company like me. They're not all bad, sometimes someone does it right.

Sounds like my private employer.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Sounds like my private employer.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

But the Borg tends to actually care about their employees. At least that's the impression I got when I interviewed last summer in Austin

phildo

Forum Crew Member
If you've ever been instructed by the owner not to take equipment into a nursing home on a full arrest because "it scares the other residents."
If you've ever been fired or threatened with firing for writing up things you see in facilities, ie. no CPR, no oxygen, you name it.
If you've ever been told by an LVN "Don't talk back to your betters!"
If you have ever had to go pick up a sandwich tray, birthday cake, or donuts and deliver them to a facility.
If you've ever known the PR people to get 'friendly' with facility staff members with big warts on their noses or butts the size of Mount Everest.
If you've ever had to take someone home from the ER that you picked up, before you are through with the first run sheet.

amessernremtp

Forum Probie
When you are required to be there 24 hrs but have to clock in for calls after 2300.

You have to "get the "new" truck ready to go by stripping ofv all the old equipment and lettering..

Your truck has caught on fire at least 3 times...and it is the "new" unit.

You are the only 24 hr unit...

Your dispatchers go home at 1700 and dont work weekends and foreward lines to cell phone..

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
ArticKat - I want to work for your service!

My list is mostly previous experience:

When your fleet is multi-colored

When your company has an "old name" and a "new name" and your uniforms and trucks are a combination of both

When paychecks are released at 1200 Friday, and it's a mad dash to the bank in hopes your check won't bounce

When you provide your own uniform

When everyone wears generic "EMS/EMT/Medic" T-shirts with no company name

When you are good at begging IV stuff from the ED staff because your company doesn't give you any back stock

When you must bring all your ALS gear in every night and lock it up.

When you go to load your gear into the truck and have to move 20 sheets and 6 pillows to make room.

When your co-workers are in awe because you've been in EMS more than a year

When your co-workers are in awe because you actually get paid to do 911, and the private is a side job.

When the truck not having a stereo is a HUGE problem

When you recognize new employees from your previous jobs

amessernremtp

Forum Probie
Or when you break down, the owner does roadside repairs with used belts and hoses...and YOU get written up because it broke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
If you've ever been instructed by the owner not to take equipment into a nursing home on a full arrest because "it scares the other residents."
If you've ever been fired or threatened with firing for writing up things you see in facilities, ie. no CPR, no oxygen, you name it.
If you've ever been told by an LVN "Don't talk back to your betters!"
If you have ever had to go pick up a sandwich tray, birthday cake, or donuts and deliver them to a facility.
If you've ever known the PR people to get 'friendly' with facility staff members with big warts on their noses or butts the size of Mount Everest.
If you've ever had to take someone home from the ER that you picked up, before you are through with the first run sheet.

I'll cop to the last two of those. That said, if an LVN ever said that to me there would be issues. Any provider who wipes butts and thinks they are better than anyone else needs to think again.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
When you go to load your gear into the truck and have to move 20 sheets and 6 pillows to make room.

Hoarding is a perfectly understandable response to supply uncertainty, although it might be the reason for a lot of the supply uncertainty. Whenever I can't find something on the shelves, my first reaction is to start looking through trucks for the stash.

Oddly, at my employer, it's Spic-and-Span that most frequently goes missing. I don't know what they're doing with it, because half the crews don't clean their trucks.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
You have to pay for the units oil change and tune up. then save the receipt to get reimbursed. they say its in your next paycheck. it never comes.

Your units look like they have been in a demolition derby.

Your best unit's only flaw is a bent fender and has serious alignment issues.

You have to Photocopy run sheets cause they forgot to order more.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
When you know your dialysis patients by their first name, and can fill in all the pt hx, rx, and allergies prior to picking them up

When you don't have radios, you call dispatch on your private cell phone

When your dispatcher tells you to "limp" the truck back to base due to the plume of smoke coming from the engine

When your co-workers wear coors light hats and volly FD t-shirts that say "big hose company #69"

When management orders you to use gas station "frequent flyer cards" to get $0.02 of a gallon of diesel every time you fill up

When the fuel cards get rejected due to non-payment

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
1. If you have the IO drill over 9 months before anyone else in the county got it (including county funded ems).

2. If your ambulance breaks down, you call chief and take it to the Ford dealer immediately...rather than waiting for Monday morning to go to a county garage.

3. If the county EMS director comes to the chief of your department and asks for "a few of the new LED laryngoscope blades" to try.

4. If the county employees keep asking "when are y'all going to hire more people?"

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm very glad to see there are private services that are better to work for than everyone else in an area.

We're somewhere in the middle. We're several orders of magnitude better off than many of the smaller fire and third service agencies, but still maddeningly penny wise pound foolish at times.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

For the most part I guess im pretty lucky too

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
the patches on co workers shirts are so faded they are all one color, white
the stains arent blood, its ketchup, mustard and mayo
exposed butt crack
EMT's with less then 1 year on their certs
and i know it was said earlier, but it is true i my parts as well...
exposed tats and facial piercings

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
EMT's with less then 1 year on their certs
and i know it was said earlier, but it is true i my parts as well...
exposed tats and facial piercings

I fail to see how the first one is an issue. And i still don't see why exposed tattoos are an issue at all. Seen it with FDs and PDs more, not to mention third service agencies.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I fail to see how the first one is an issue. And i still don't see why exposed tattoos are an issue at all. Seen it with FDs and PDs more, not to mention third service agencies.

As far as exposed tattoos go, I think it all depends on the agency. I know our county ems, and all other 911s around here (public and private) don't mind tattoos. I have 2 visible and no one has ever said anything to me. However, the ambulance service that is a part if our hospital has the same rules as the hospital, including no visible tattoos.