Will AMR DQ me for driving record?

enbloc

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone, I begin my clinical time and ride alongs next month and I'm currently finishing up classes and will take the NREMT in 2 months and had a quick question.

I just pulled my electronic DMV H-6 printout and I currently have 2 at-fault accidents on my record. 1 in 2016 when I was a new driver and 1 from last December in 2018 in heavy LA traffic. As I understand in AMR's policy iirc you cannot have more than (2) at-fault violations? Other than these accidents my record is clean, everything paid up to date and no suspension history. Would going to online driving school and having a point removed help at all in the hiring process? I understand the point of AMR's policy is to make sure employees are insurable and I just wanna make sure I don't go through all this work just to be denied by AMR if and when I pass my NREMT.

And a side-note, if I don't qualify for AMR would an EMT tech be the only other real option? My goal is to go from civilian Paramedic- Trauma RN

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yes.

no.

maybe.

depends.

Sounds like a great question to address directly to your local AMR office, instead of to a bunch of random people on the internet.....

OP
OP
E

enbloc

Forum Ride Along
Look man I'm just trying to get advice while I wait on my exams.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Look man I'm just trying to get advice while I wait on my exams.
The only ones who could answer the question are the hiring personnel at AMR. If any of us on here gave you an answer it would be a guess at best.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you can do online traffic school to get your point/s removed then yes I would highly consider doing that.

AMR will usually allow 3 points on your record however at fault accidents may be a little different.

In CA you will notice that a lot of ER tech positions require experience in the field before you can even put in an application. So yes it is an option but it might be difficult to find a hospital that will hire a brand new EMT with zero experience when they probably have a handful of experienced providers lined up. Depending on the ED a lot of these positions require you to know someone on the inside.

If your final goal is to be a RN then go straight to a RN school and get your BSN. Don’t bother with spending the time and money to go to paramedic school. As a nurse you will have a much better working environment, much better pay, safer working environment, probably better benefits/401k than the vast majority of single role paramedics in CA.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
......when I was a new driver and 1 from last December in 2018 in heavy LA traffic.

Greetings young Padiwan. Go "old school", pick up the phone and call them directly, go visit them in person, or go to their website and email your concern to the generic HR address which is listed. I do not like the last option because you will never know if they received it and chose to not reply or if it was missed. Options 1 and 2 will get you exact and fast results.

As for your words which I quoted above....work on accepting responsibility. You had two crashes...period. Do not try to BS anyone by explaining it away as new driver or heavy traffic....because millions of new drivers and millions of drivers in heavy traffic manage to not crash every single day.

If you take offense to this observation, please work on yourself some as acknowledging and accepting errors and omissions when they occur will make you a way better provider going forward than trying to find ways to make an excuse.