What did you have to do to get into Paramedic school?

Fox

Forum Crew Member
At my school you have to pass the EMT basic class. You have to fill out a form, then take a test. If you pass the test you have to pay $130 for a psych eval. It's basically a bubble test and if you answer anything weird the psychiatrist speaks to you. They have a profile that you are required to fit into. (You know, slightly crazy.) If you pass that, they have a suit/tie interview with the Paramedic board, with some big important names. And if you pass that you're in. You have to respond with a written acceptance of their offer to let you in. I'm writing mine now.

I've heard other schools let in anybody that wants to join. So what did you have to do to get in?

terrible one

Always wandering
try searching "medic mills" essentially if you have a heartbeat and a wad of cash you are patch medic in as little as 12 weeks

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
try searching "medic mills" essentially if you have a heartbeat and a wad of cash you are patch medic in as little as 12 weeks

D:

I kinda like how my school did it. Only serious candidates get in.

Wouldn't it be fairly hard and unwise to get a job with a medic mill background?

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
How did the conversation go? :)

They literally came to me and said "Congrats, you're just crazy enough to get in!" So I didn't have to talk to him.

One of the questions said "Do you believe you are superior to others?" I didn't know how to answer it. So after a minute I darkened "neutral." (Wasn't sure what they meant/how to take it.)

I also said I agreed strongly with: "Do you like to read poetry?"

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
At my school you have to pass the EMT basic class. You have to fill out a form, then take a test. If you pass the test you have to pay $130 for a psych eval. It's basically a bubble test and if you answer anything weird the psychiatrist speaks to you. They have a profile that you are required to fit into. (You know, slightly crazy.) If you pass that, they have a suit/tie interview with the Paramedic board, with some big important names. And if you pass that you're in. You have to respond with a written acceptance of their offer to let you in. I'm writing mine now.

I've heard other schools let in anybody that wants to join. So what did you have to do to get in?

Our school is requiring anatomy and physiology I and II as pre reqs starting this fall term.

When I enrolled there were no requirements besides having an EMT license.

We had 40 spots in the course, and over 100 applicants.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For the medic school I went to? A&P, Pharm, Adv Trauma (basically long PHTLS course), Drug Calc. Then you sent an app in and it was picked in committee of the instructors from the EMS pre-reqs. Now you also have to have the pre-reqs for the AAS (psych, math, english, and an elective) to even be considered for the program

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
We have classes like required A&P I & II, speech, prob & stats, psychology, electives, comp I, intro into allied health, medical terminology for the HCP, bunch of electives... but you can enter the Paramedic program without them, you only need them to graduate. They do a certificate and a degree program. I'm shooting for the degree.

I am taking prob & stats, and A&P II after I finish the paramedic course. I didn't have time to do it before (ours starts once a year) and this may be the last year they offer Paramedic. We usually have small classes. 14 in class this year, so they are considering getting rid of it. I'm hoping that's just a rumor, though.

This semester I'll be taking A&P I, medical terminology, and of course, starting Paramedic.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
For the medic school I went to? A&P, Pharm, Adv Trauma (basically long PHTLS course), Drug Calc. Then you sent an app in and it was picked in committee of the instructors from the EMS pre-reqs. Now you also have to have the pre-reqs for the AAS (psych, math, english, and an elective) to even be considered for the program

Pharm, ITLS, PALS, CPR, drug calc, and things of that natural are part of our course. We just spend a few classes devoted to that thing. I know some people have to enroll in an extra class for it, but they lump all of ours under the Paramedic class. They've told us not to be surprised if we see any EMTs/Paramedics come to class a few days and get their CEUs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Pharm, ITLS, PALS, CPR, drug calc, and things of that natural are part of our course. We just spend a few classes devoted to that thing. I know some people have to enroll in an extra class for it, but they lump all of ours under the Paramedic class. They've told us not to be surprised if we see any EMTs/Paramedics come to class a few days and get their CEUs.

How long is your medic classes? The thing I liked about mine was without those courses it still was a year long course. Which meant we could expand on the national requirement instead of hitting just the minimums.

EDIT: And ACLS/CPR was part of cardiac, PALS and PEPP were part of pedi

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
How long is your medic classes? The thing I liked about mine was without those courses it still was a year long course. Which meant we could expand on the national requirement instead of hitting just the minimums.

Sorry if this is confusing, this is what the school has listed. It could vary from what the teacher actually wants us to do.

The easy answer is "almost every day for a year." Here is the long answer:

Summer paramedic 2010
TR 10:40-12:10, 1:10-2:40 lecture
W hours TBA -lab

Fall Paramedic
MF 9-12am clinical
M 1-5 clinical
TR 8:30-12, 1-5 lecture (Could be lab or clinicals as well)
W 9-12, 1-4 labs/lecture/clinical
150 clinical hours

Spring Paramedic
TBA
150 clinical hours

Summer 2011
MTWR 9-12, 1-5:30 clinical
325 clinical hours

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

how does NREMT I/85 differ from EMT-P?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
how does NREMT I/85 differ from EMT-P?

A lot. But i've yet to go to an EMT-I class. I got my EMT-I because I didn't finish medic internship. I've done a complete medic program though

I/85 is basically a basic with a little more knowledge, IV skills, extra drugs (in NM it's Benadryl, some narc, Epi 1:10 and non dose limiting 1:1 (EMT-Bs in NM can draw up 1:1 in .3cc syringes and give it), D50, Glucagon, and a few others. Airway is still Combi or LMA, we can do and interpret 4-leads, give any crystaloids, transport K+ up to 20mEq... and a few other things. I/99 on the other hand is essentially a mini-medic. All the skills, none of the education

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot. But i've yet to go to an EMT-I class. I got my EMT-I because I didn't finish medic internship. I've done a complete medic program though

I tried looking it up and it's associated skill set varied widely from state to state. We had a lot of student's last semester who did not finish internship, and have to retake it.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member

I/85 is basically a basic with a little more knowledge, IV skills, extra drugs (in NM it's Benadryl, some narc, Epi 1:10 and non dose limiting 1:1 (EMT-Bs in NM can draw up 1:1 in .3cc syringes and give it), D50, Glucagon, and a few others. Airway is still Combi or LMA, we can do and interpret 4-leads, give any crystaloids, transport K+ up to 20mEq... and a few other things. I/99 on the other hand is essentially a mini-medic. All the skills, none of the education

What exactly is the internship?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What exactly is the internship?

10 weeks (my program broke it up 4 weeks the first semester, 6 weeks the second, always at the end of the semester) of working as lead medic, with a preceptor and their partner, on an ambulance full time. You got graded and evaluated every second of every call you ran with the crews

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
10 weeks (my program broke it up 4 weeks the first semester, 6 weeks the second, always at the end of the semester) of working as lead medic, with a preceptor and their partner, on an ambulance full time. You got graded and evaluated every second of every call you ran with the crews

What happened to you at the end of your internship? I saw you mentioned a bit about it, but nothing elaborate.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
It was...

A two-year degree requiring A&P I & II, Medical Terminology, etc. Then they started advertising heavily in JEMS, there was talk of the overall head leaving and someone I knew (a person quite rotund, who really have no love for being a medic) taking it over, and then they axed some of the requirements, such as A&P.

So I decided that I didn't want to get my degree with them, and off I went. I'm now about halfway through my BSN requirements, and I hope to eventually study anesthesia.

In any case, as long as you could pass the classes and get high enough scores—which many couldn't, and I imagine that's why the requirements were lowered—you could get in. Also, it struck me that they were really trying to work it so that Fire Science could fit in with the Paramedic degree.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
A two-year degree requiring A&P I & II, Medical Terminology, etc. Then they started advertising heavily in JEMS, there was talk of the overall head leaving and someone I knew (a person quite rotund, who really have no love for being a medic) taking it over, and then they axed some of the requirements, such as A&P.

So I decided that I didn't want to get my degree with them, and off I went. I'm now about halfway through my BSN requirements, and I hope to eventually study anesthesia.

In any case, as long as you could pass the classes and get high enough scores—which many couldn't, and I imagine that's why the requirements were lowered—you could get in. Also, it struck me that they were really trying to work it so that Fire Science could fit in with the Paramedic degree.
Not gonna lie. That's pretty awful. All of it is awful, but that irritates me. Those are two separate things and should stay that way.

Don't get me wrong, I loooove firemen, but that's just not good.