What did you have to do to get into Paramedic school?

Hal9000

Forum Captain
mostly water colors, but I loved just to draw with pastels. Then he asked if I did houses, I said no and he said he'd give me a job painting his barn.

At least I know I have a job if Paramedic falls through, right??

With watercolors? :D

The strangest things I've been asked during an interview (for jobs) were:

1-If I'd completed my mission trip yet. (I'm not Mormon, though, so it was awkward.) Still got a job offer.

2-If I was single, because the lady's daughter needed someone who, in her words, "wasn't stupid." The interview just got more casual from there, and I was given the job without having to even take the last test.

The worst interview I ever had involved the interviewer not showing up, and the replacement person coughing spit on my face, and then not knowing where her office was being relocated, when I did. It was mostly laughable and also somewhat outrageous.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member

1-If I'd completed my mission trip yet. (I'm not Mormon, though, so it was awkward.) Still got a job offer.

2-If I was single, because the lady's daughter needed someone who, in her words, "wasn't stupid." The interview just got more casual from there, and I was given the job without having to even take the last test.

The worst interview I ever had involved the interviewer not showing up, and the replacement person coughing spit on my face, and then not knowing where her office was being relocated, when I did. It was mostly laughable and also somewhat outrageous.

WTF? LOL! :lol:

Yeah, watercolors... (not on the barn though!) I'm an artist in my spare time. :p

medic417

The Truth Provider

I'm just a gigolo and every where I go...........................

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
We also don't have a glut of under-educated providers here either. The program including internship time is two years. If I had my Medic right now there is several places I could walk in and get a job too, at a reasonable rate of pay to boot. Should I also mention that that the state requires 600 didactic hours plus 650 clinical hours as an absolute minimum not counting prerequisites. If you don't believe me look here for the state of Indiana requirements for EMT-P.

From what I have heard through the grapevine the state will be doing away with certificate programs all together, soon the only way you will get your medic is to have an Associates degree at a minimum, there is further rumor that reciprocity will only be granted for degree holding paramedics as well, so no going out of state for a medic mill either! Additionally all program instructors will soon be required to have at least a bachelors degree for all levels of ems, and the program must be affiliated with a state accredited college, so no more back room courses.

I think this is a step in the right direction, don't you?
This is probably a good step. It might help to further legitimize EMS, possibly give a little more ammunition in the fight to get better wages for Paramedics.

That said...

At Wake Tech, where I am taking my Basic class (180 hours, btw), you could never accuse them of operating a medic mill (Not saying you did). There is no way to get a medic cert in less than 2 years. The degree takes two, and doing it piecemeal through CE classes will take at least as long, requires a certain amount of field experience between levels, but will still not get you the degree. The person coming out with their medic cert from CE classes is already going to be completely field ready, primarily because they have been working (not just doing clinicals) in the field (I'm not trying to knock people with their AAS, i'm just saying that someone with 2 years working as an EMT will have more experience than the medic straight out of the degree program).

I just don't want to create a situation in which the hard work put in by medics without their AAS is discounted. Like they are second class medics or something. The CE classes for medic at Wake Tech will have a student doing 600 hours clinical and well over that in classroom instruction (the intermediate course is 256 hours by itself).

Honestly, it is up to each and every state to set the standards for their paramedics, and if one state is letting medic mills operate, then other states should deny them reciprocity. Make their medics pass the NREMT-P exams if they are worried, but especially for experienced medics that don't have an AAS, don't deny them the ability to work just because they didn't have the ability to take their classes through a degree program.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
(I'm not trying to knock people with their AAS, i'm just saying that someone with 2 years working as an EMT will have more experience than the medic straight out of the degree program).

Yes they will have experience driving and fetching supplies. What little head start they have in patient care will be closed within a month of a Paramedic being out of school and employed full time. Uneducated experience does not equal educated experience.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes they will have experience driving and fetching supplies. What little head start they have in patient care will be closed within a month of a Paramedic being out of school and employed full time. Uneducated experience does not equal educated experience.

My thoughts exactly

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I should have been more specific. In NC, that would be 6 months to a year working as a basic, and another 6 months to a year working ALS as an intermediate. Obviously an intermediate doesn't have the same education, but they are allowed to perform many of the same skills in the field as medics, so I would imagine (indicates I am not talking out of any experience whatsoever) that CE medics would have a huge head start on AAS medics right out of school.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
I should have been more specific. In NC, that would be 6 months to a year working as a basic, and another 6 months to a year working ALS as an intermediate. Obviously an intermediate doesn't have the same education, but they are allowed to perform many of the same skills in the field as medics, so I would imagine (indicates I am not talking out of any experience whatsoever) that CE medics would have a huge head start on AAS medics right out of school.

Since this thread is getting somewhat off topic I am going to continue the conversation of Education vs Skills Here. With that being said, I see so many that talk nothing about the education that they received and talk more of the cool skills that they learned. I think it would be safe to say a child could master the majority of the so called "skills" the difference is does the child or even better yet the provider have the appropriate education to properly and appropriately apply those skills.

I will close in apologizing to the OP and Admin team for going off topic I am taking my tangent to another thread Oh Boy, here we go. Education Vs Skills.

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
NCTI owned by AMR

Be an EMT-B (and all ascociated paper work that goes along with it)

Take an approved A&P course

pay 11k

1 1/2 year program

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Hmm, lets see

Just to be considered for the program:

College Level courses

2 Semesters of English
Interpersonal Communication
General Psychology
Developmental or Abnormal Psychology
Algebra
Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2

Sate Certified EMT by the first day of class
(My seat is provisional, I still have to pass the state written exam which is scheduled for next week, I had to take my practical skills before I could take my written)

One Year experience in public safety, EMT, Firefighter, etc.

Then an interview with the Program Chair

For 15 seats starting next fall the cut GPA was 3.85 mine is at 4.0 (100+ Applicants for 15 seats)

The only thing left to do is pass my written exam, and I have my seat.

In addition to everything else that I already did, I passed my state written exam for my EMT-B, I got my official acceptance letter from school in the mail today.

Stat12Lead

Forum Ride Along
I had to take an EMT test, go through an interview and get selected. Before I tested for paramedic school, I took a basic college level A/P class, basic ECG cardiology class and pharmacology. This helped me in so many ways. Our program was only 6 months long 5 days a week. It was very intense with a lot of information and a very short amount of time. If you are interested in going to paramedic school go talk with the program directors of the program and ask them what they are looking for in a student. That is what I did and it paid off.

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
Here's a basic layout of our Programs requirements for Paramedic!

1 year of EMT (Basic or Intermediate) experience
Being accepted into the program (after passing the test)
Immunizations/program requirements/program criteria are met
Pay 6k plus (medical expenses, equipment, meeting other requirements, etc)

Pre Reqs:
1. A/P 1 & 2
2. Med Terminology
3. Math (Elementary Algebra) and English 101

OPT: (but strongly recommended) and In my college is actually a requirement for taking A/P 1 and 2!!
1. Psychology
2. Microbiology
3. Chemistry
4. Cell Biology
5. Math 100

Our Paramedic program is 9 months long or 2500-3000 hours of training. B)

Course in my case I'm seriously considering doing the Nursing program prior, since all the pre-reqs I need are needed for the Nursing program and I could get my AA at the same time. I also have 'currently' Vol fire fighting experience, and EMT-B experience (1 year). This will add another 2 years to my 2 year commitment for my pre-reqs, plus I'll have 3 qtrs of Paramedic which will make about 5 years total for college.

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
i had to take the hobet test but my teacher said it didnt matter what u got on it just a state requirement <_< i live in MI