What did you have to do to get into Paramedic school?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I just paid and signed up. It's a private school and not through a college, but it holds a pretty decent reputation around the area, and I enjoyed it.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I just paid and signed up. It's a private school and not through a college, but it holds a pretty decent reputation around the area, and I enjoyed it.

Did you feel the education was better with it being a private school? I've heard a lot of people prefer private schools.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I opened the door.

Only other way in was through the window and it was a 10 story building.

DaniGrrl

Forum Lieutenant
I'm going to a community college, so I just had to go apply and turn in my transcripts to get into school, but I have to take Chem 090 before I can start the EMS classes. This is the list of classes for the degree program, I can't wait to start:

General Ed:
ACA 118 College Study Skills ...................................................... 2
BIO 163 Anatomy and Physiology ............................................. 5
COM 120 Interpersonal Communication ...................................... 3
ENG 111 Expository Writing ......................................................... 3
MAT 110 Mathematical Measurement ......................................... 3
PSY 150 General Psychology ...................................................... 3
Humanities/Fine Arts Elective ...................................... 3

Major Courses:
EMS 110 EMT-Basic ..................................................................... 7
EMS 120 Intermediate Interventions ............................................ 3
EMS 121 EMS Clinical Practicum I .............................................. 2

EMS 125 EMS Instructor Methodology ........................................ 2
OR
EMS 235 EMS Management ........................................................ 2

EMS 130 Pharmacology I for EMS............................................... 2
EMS 131 Advanced Airway Management ................................... 2
EMS 140 Rescue Scene Management ........................................ 2
EMS 150 Emergency Vehicles and EMS Communication .......... 2
EMS 210 Advanced Patient Assessment .................................... 2
EMS 220 Cardiology ..................................................................... 4
EMS 221 EMS Clinical Practicum II ............................................. 3
EMS 230 Pharmacology II for EMS.............................................. 2
EMS 231 EMS Clinical Practicum III ............................................ 3
EMS 240 Special Needs Patients ................................................ 2
EMS 241 EMS Clinical Practicum IV ............................................ 3
EMS 250 Advanced Medical Emergencies .................................. 3
EMS 260 Advanced Trauma Emergencies .................................. 2
EMS 270 Life Span Emergencies ................................................ 3
EMS 285 EMS Capstone .............................................................. 2
Graduation Requirements ....................................... 73 Credit Hours

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to a community college, so I just had to go apply and turn in my transcripts to get into school, but I have to take Chem 090 before I can start the EMS classes. This is the list of classes for the degree program, I can't wait to start:

General Ed:
ACA 118 College Study Skills ...................................................... 2
BIO 163 Anatomy and Physiology ............................................. 5
COM 120 Interpersonal Communication ...................................... 3
ENG 111 Expository Writing ......................................................... 3
MAT 110 Mathematical Measurement ......................................... 3
PSY 150 General Psychology ...................................................... 3
Humanities/Fine Arts Elective ...................................... 3

Major Courses:
EMS 110 EMT-Basic ..................................................................... 7
EMS 120 Intermediate Interventions ............................................ 3
EMS 121 EMS Clinical Practicum I .............................................. 2

EMS 125 EMS Instructor Methodology ........................................ 2
OR
EMS 235 EMS Management ........................................................ 2

EMS 130 Pharmacology I for EMS............................................... 2
EMS 131 Advanced Airway Management ................................... 2
EMS 140 Rescue Scene Management ........................................ 2
EMS 150 Emergency Vehicles and EMS Communication .......... 2
EMS 210 Advanced Patient Assessment .................................... 2
EMS 220 Cardiology ..................................................................... 4
EMS 221 EMS Clinical Practicum II ............................................. 3
EMS 230 Pharmacology II for EMS.............................................. 2
EMS 231 EMS Clinical Practicum III ............................................ 3
EMS 240 Special Needs Patients ................................................ 2
EMS 241 EMS Clinical Practicum IV ............................................ 3
EMS 250 Advanced Medical Emergencies .................................. 3
EMS 260 Advanced Trauma Emergencies .................................. 2
EMS 270 Life Span Emergencies ................................................ 3
EMS 285 EMS Capstone .............................................................. 2
Graduation Requirements ....................................... 73 Credit Hours

Your classes are way different than mine. I think I only have to have 67 hours, as well.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Our Bachelor of Health Science (Paramedic) is very selective and only takes a small number of applicants once a year (I think about 30, compared to most Degrees who have hundreds of students).

You need standard university admission, interview, 3 referees, fitness test, medical exam, police screening and I think a small written exemplar.

For Intensive Care Paramedic (advanced life support) it is a Post-Graduate Certificate so you need the Paramedic Degree plus graduate year (Qualified Paramedic) and a niumber of years experience as well as selection.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I've copied this from the website of one of the Paramedic schools here on Canadas East coast. Further details on their website.

Program Details - Primary Care (PCP)
Tuition for the Primary Care Paramedic program is; $12,990

To be considered for the PCP program, candidates must have a strong linguistic capability, be physically and mentally able to perform all required duties, be willing to do shift work, travel and meet the following pre requisites:

• Paramedic Interview (See APA Web Site under public documents)
• High School Diploma
• Transcript of marks (2 high school sciences. Grade 10,11 or 12)
• Current Standard First Aid

• CPR Level "C" (updated within the past 12 months)
• APA Medical Form (See APA Web Site under public document)
• Hepatitis B shots (all 3 shots must be completed by Phase II - approx. 6 months after course start date)
• Class 4 Drivers License for ambulance. (Must be obtained before prior to Phase II - approx. 6 months after course start date). We strongly recommend that you obtain this prior to course start date.
• Drivers Abstract (can be obtained from Service New Brunswick)
• Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector Screening (Including Sexual Offence for which a Pardon has been granted/issued)
• Autobiography (a one page summary of who you are)
• Resume - Physical Ability Test - This test is administered by LifeMark Health. Please contact them at 902-404-3888 to book an appointment time and make a payment.

All pre requisites must be submitted with the application form and $150 processing fee. The processing fee is non-refundable. Pre-requisites will not be accepted until such time that the processing fee is paid. All pre-requisites must be received prior to May 31st, 2010 in order to be considered for the Selection Process.

Program Details - Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP)

Tuition for the Advanced Care Paramedic program is: $13,900

To be considered for the ACP program, candidates must have a strong
linguistic capability and be physically and mentally able to perform all required
duties. Candidates must be willing to do shift work, travel and meet the
following pre requisites:

• Medical Form
• Hepatitis B shots (All 3 shots prior to Phase III)
• Drivers Abstract
• Class 4 Drivers License (Ambulance)
• High School Diploma
• Transcript of Marks (Two High School Sciences)
• CPR Level “C”
• Autobiography
• Criminal Record Check
• Resume
• PCP Diploma (or equivalent)
• 6 months experience on an ambulance with at least 150 ambulance patient
contacts (non transfers)

All pre-requisites must be submitted with the application form and $100
processing fee no later then September 30, 2010. The processing fee is non-refundable.

http://www.paramedicacademy.ca/ProgramInformation.php

Other schools Holland College P.E.I. and Maritime School of Paramedicine

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Fail

I also said I agreed strongly with: "Do you like to read poetry?"

This, in and of itself, should be grounds for automatic disqualification :p

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I took the MMPI (I appearantly want to be race car driver and have a fascination with door knobs! Love it.)

You were given a score of 1 - 5 by the testing committee based on their findings. This score was relayed to the admissions panel.

----------------------
Had an EMT-IV exam where we were graded on a scale of 1 - 5.

Test Score
-----------------
1 = 80% to 84%
2 = 85% to 89%
3 = 90% to 94%
4 = 95% to 99%
5 = Perfect 100%

-----------------------------------
Interview Panel with Local EMS from surrounding counties including Medical Directors, Service Directors, State Board of EMS members, and even instructors from other programs.

This was the scariest interview I ever had. Nursing school admission was nothing compared to this. RN admission was based on numbers and HESI score. In this interview, you were grilled on various things:

1. Why should we pick you over joe blow?

2. What makes us so sure you arent going to leave ems?

3. Why should we assume you are able to complete such a rigorous program?

4. How are you going to pay for this program?

5. How are you going to get back and forth to class and clinicals? What are your plans for your bills?

God forbid you were one of the individuals who had an EMT license but didnt work with a service. You were treated like dirt (I mean that in EVERY sense of the word). People came out crying. They grilled me about my nursing degree asking,

"Why are you even here? You will make more money as a nurse? What is the point."

I left my interview thinking I would never be admitted because of the fact that I was an RN and they thought i just wanted the degree for show. Fortunately, this was not the case and I received my acceptance letter in the mail 2 days later.

----------------

Also, if you made less than an 80% on your EMT-IV exam, you were automatically disqualified. If the average of all three scores on the 1-5 scale, (The interview score, The Test Score, and the MMPI) was below 2, auto disqualification.

God forbid someone came in with the slightest amount of dirt on their shoes or their tie slightly wrong. It was horrible, and I still have mental scars, but boy it sure was a great program, and I wouldn't trade a single minute of it!

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
God forbid someone came in with the slightest amount of dirt on their shoes or their tie slightly wrong. It was horrible, and I still have mental scars, but boy it sure was a great program, and I wouldn't trade a single minute of it!

This is very similar to my interviews. (Even the points, we had to average at least a 2.5 or more.) They were very nice to any previous EMTs, but anyone that wasn't working as one was treated awful.

In all seriousness, a vast majority of my questions had absolutely nothing to do with Paramedic. One of my interviewers insulted me at one point, which I handled professionally.

Also I had ran volunteer duty against someone who ran for office against one of my interviewers. I thought that would seriously hurt me, but luckily it did not as far as getting in class.

I felt awful when I left the interview. Despite them going off topic and picking at me, I just answered their questions, handled it professionally and just joked back with them. I honestly didn't think I'd get in, since I didn't have experience and some other reasons I picked up in the interview, but I got my acceptance letter two days after, as well.

They said they'd heard to be harder on me by my teacher, that I was shy, so I just considered the fact they might've been testing me to see how I could perform. I hope that my teacher spoke good things about me to them. I was far from shy, I helped my classmates, as far as coming in on their re-testing days to help them practice, when I didn't have to. And helped other classmates study. I came out with several new friends and spoke to everyone there, so I wouldn't say I was shy at all.

Sounds silly maybe, but I think the interview was a good experience for me, prepared me a bit more, as weird as it was.

(I think they are aiming to stress people out.)

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Yup. They sure do. That is the whole point. They even went so far as to bring up the murder of a family member. That's all im gonna say.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Hmm, lets see

Just to be considered for the program:

College Level courses

2 Semesters of English
Interpersonal Communication
General Psychology
Developmental or Abnormal Psychology
Algebra
Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2

Sate Certified EMT by the first day of class
(My seat is provisional, I still have to pass the state written exam which is scheduled for next week, I had to take my practical skills before I could take my written)

One Year experience in public safety, EMT, Firefighter, etc.

Then an interview with the Program Chair

For 15 seats starting next fall the cut GPA was 3.85 mine is at 4.0

The only thing left to do is pass my written exam, and I have my seat.

Hal9000

Forum Captain

Yup. They sure do. That is the whole point. They even went so far as to bring up the murder of a family member. That's all im gonna say.

I think I would probably start laughing if an interview of mine got that far off in to the Twilight Zone. Sorry, the panel is there to gauge my mental, physical, and professional competence, not perform some sort of psychological interrogation:

"And next up, we're going to CS gas you while breaking the necks of small puppies to make sure you're good enough for the paramedic program." :lol:

The next time I interview someone, I might mention that they have to pass a physical agility test and a waterboard interview. :lol:

Sorry, I'm still chuckling inwardly over your amusing story—I probably would not be so amused if I were the one who had taken it.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm, lets see

Just to be considered for the program:

College Level courses

2 Semesters of English
Interpersonal Communication
General Psychology
Developmental or Abnormal Psychology
Algebra
Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2

Sate Certified EMT by the first day of class
(My seat is provisional, I still have to pass the state written exam which is scheduled for next week, I had to take my practical skills before I could take my written)

One Year experience in public safety, EMT, Firefighter, etc.

Then an interview with the Program Chair

For 15 seats starting next fall the cut GPA was 3.85 mine is at 4.0

The only thing left to do is pass my written exam, and I have my seat.

Thats absolutely ridiculous. Those qualifications would get you into med school. If I end up doing medic training, it will be con-ed classes at a local community college. You can take an EMT-I class and then a 3 semester Medic course. Less than $1000 total, or free if you are affiliated with a rescue organization.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Thats absolutely ridiculous. Those qualifications would get you into med school. If I end up doing medic training, it will be con-ed classes at a local community college. You can take an EMT-I class and then a 3 semester Medic course. Less than $1000 total, or free if you are affiliated with a rescue organization.

We also don't have a glut of under-educated providers here either. The program including internship time is two years. If I had my Medic right now there is several places I could walk in and get a job too, at a reasonable rate of pay to boot. Should I also mention that that the state requires 600 didactic hours plus 650 clinical hours as an absolute minimum not counting prerequisites. If you don't believe me look here for the state of Indiana requirements for EMT-P.

From what I have heard through the grapevine the state will be doing away with certificate programs all together, soon the only way you will get your medic is to have an Associates degree at a minimum, there is further rumor that reciprocity will only be granted for degree holding paramedics as well, so no going out of state for a medic mill either! Additionally all program instructors will soon be required to have at least a bachelors degree for all levels of ems, and the program must be affiliated with a state accredited college, so no more back room courses.

I think this is a step in the right direction, don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
I think I would probably start laughing if an interview of mine got that far off in to the Twilight Zone. Sorry, the panel is there to gauge my mental, physical, and professional competence, not perform some sort of psychological interrogation:

"And next up, we're going to CS gas you while breaking the necks of small puppies to make sure you're good enough for the paramedic program." :lol:

The next time I interview someone, I might mention that they have to pass a physical agility test and a waterboard interview. :lol:

Sorry, I'm still chuckling inwardly over your amusing story—I probably would not be so amused if I were the one who had taken it.

I'm not stressed over my interview. I think it was challenging and a learning experience, so feel free to chuckle. I did in the parking lot when I was leaving. I've suffered through weirder things, an interview isn't a big deal to me. When I said I felt awful I meant in as far as getting in to school - I felt awful. I didn't think they would take me. But they did, because I didn't freak out or cry during the interview.

If you'd really like a good laugh, I'll have you know they offered me a job painting barns during my interview.

But I do believe if they want a professional interview then they need to set the example on professional. Like in medicRob's interview some things should not be discussed. It's rude and unprofessional. I don't think the board should try to test you psychologically, especially if they already have a psych test.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
I'm not stressed over my interview. I think it was challenging and a learning experience, so feel free to chuckle. I did in the parking lot when I was leaving. I've suffered through weirder things, an interview isn't a big deal to me. When I said I felt awful I meant in as far as getting in to school - I felt awful. I didn't think they would take me. But they did, because I didn't freak out or cry during the interview.

If you'd really like a good laugh, I'll have you know they offered me a job painting barns during my interview.

But I do believe if they want a professional interview then they need to set the example on professional. Like in medicRob's interview some things should not be discussed. It's rude and unprofessional. I don't think the board should try to test you psychologically, especially if they already have a psych test.

Yes, I've never let myself get stressed over an interview, no matter what's happened during it. In my view, it comes down to a binary decision: acceptance or rejection. I don't have the hours in my life to worry about it as much as some people do. :p

However, I have seen people cry in EMS classes, such as after failing a test or something. I don't understand that, so I'm not sure if I can adequately judge it. I do know that success wouldn't mean much if everyone had it.

Anyway, I was referring to medicRob's story, but your barn story made me chuckle, too! :lol: When things like that happen during interviewing—and sometimes just when interviewing in general—I have a bad habit of becoming detached and thinking about how the people interviewing me are being paid to look at my ugly mug when they could be out doing something fun, like fishing or hiking.

Now that I think about it, I've never gone to an interview and ended up not chuckling or laughing at some point. Oh well, whatever has happened, it's worked all the time so far.

Very interesting to hear about all these stories. I'm humbled and amused.

OP
OP
Fox

Fox

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I've never let myself get stressed over an interview, no matter what's happened during it. In my view, it comes down to a binary decision: acceptance or rejection. I don't have the hours in my life to worry about it as much as some people do. :p

However, I have seen people cry in EMS classes, such as after failing a test or something. I don't understand that, so I'm not sure if I can adequately judge it. I do know that success wouldn't mean much if everyone had it.

Anyway, I was referring to medicRob's story, but your barn story made me chuckle, too! :lol: When things like that happen during interviewing—and sometimes just when interviewing in general—I have a bad habit of becoming detached and thinking about how the people interviewing me are being paid to look at my ugly mug when they could be out doing something fun, like fishing or hiking.

Now that I think about it, I've never gone to an interview and ended up not chuckling or laughing at some point. Oh well, whatever has happened, it's worked all the time so far.

Very interesting to hear about all these stories. I'm humbled and amused.
You would've loved my class. DRAMA. Seriously. Some of them were more wired up about their personal lives than they were class. :rolleyes:

I don't mind when people laugh at me, I do it all the time, lol. But I did tell him if he paid enough I'd consider it. He asked me how I handled stress if stuff got to me really bad. I said I painted, mostly water colors, but I loved just to draw with pastels. Then he asked if I did houses, I said no and he said he'd give me a job painting his barn.

At least I know I have a job if Paramedic falls through, right??