the 100% directionless thread

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Well this day just keeps getting better! My flight is delayed 2hrs and 15mins!!! Hope everyone else is having a better day.

AIRLINES SUCK! Seriously. Tell em you know a boy stewardess maybe they'll give you a drink. Don't use the term boy stewardess if it's a straight male flight attendant though cuz I'm pretty much the only one that thinks that's funny.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Well this day just keeps getting better! My flight is delayed 2hrs and 15mins!!! Hope everyone else is having a better day.

I can sympathize. I got stuck at DFW airport overnight cause they canceled my flight this past Saturday

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
LAS was all screwed up because the Vice President flew in.

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Personally I have been scouting out the OT/PT students. I have had enough drama with dating fellow nursing students lately.

They love cheesy pick up lines. Try something about gag reflexes and intubating. Gets them 89% of the time, every time. Guaranteed

I will have to give that a whirl. radiology chicks are fun too... the point to remember about the students is that they will be gone in 2 months so if you piss them off you aren't black-balled from that ER. new grads are too scared to talk :censored::censored::censored::censored:...

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Took the advice of some people on my resume and updated it. I resubmitted it to the local 911 company and e-mailed their HR saying that I am still interested in "serving my county". After talking with somebody in private chat, reading about Hall Ambulance here, I decided I'd apply online and upload my resume to their website. If I got hired at Hall, I would have to move.

Anjel

Forum Angel
OPA and NPA practical tomorrow for class. I keep forgetting to check for gag reflex. For the first time in my life I wish someone, namely the dummy, would throw up on me that way I would def not forget to check the next time.

Just keep thinking of what happens when things get shoved in your mouth/throat.

Like a toothbrush....

If you have that feeling in your mind, you won't forget to check.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Took the advice of some people on my resume and updated it. I resubmitted it to the local 911 company and e-mailed their HR saying that I am still interested in "serving my county". After talking with somebody in private chat, reading about Hall Ambulance here, I decided I'd apply online and upload my resume to their website. If I got hired at Hall, I would have to move.

Hall is up in kern right?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Just keep thinking of what happens when things get shoved in your mouth/throat.

Like a toothbrush....

If you have that feeling in your mind, you won't forget to check.

How do you check for a gag reflex? We were told to drop and then just pull and suction if they do gag?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
How do you check for a gag reflex? We were told to drop and then just pull and suction if they do gag?

The way I have learned and have to teach is to touch their eyelashes. If their eyelids/eyes move then they have a gag reflex. However I have used this and it doesn't seem to work very well.

CMHills

Forum Probie

I was taught the eyelash thing too, but I've never used it. One of my instructors told me that it's possible (though unlikely) for a pt to have a gag reflex and no twitch reflex in their eyelids. Whatever the specifics are, I just tend to go for the gold with an OPA. It's quicker, and if I were down and in need of an airway, I'd rather the EMT chance it than waste time giving me butterfly kisses.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'll use the eyelash method, but like firefite said, it's not very accurate. I've seen many with no flutter and still have a gag (not as common the other way around). Typically you just drop it in or test it with a tongue depressor. When they start to gag, pull it out. Would love to find out there's a better way, though :D

CMHills

Forum Probie
In my Basic class, I think my instructor's exact words in response to this question were "To test the gag reflex? Oh you just stick an OPA down there. The pt will let you know if they have a gag reflex."

He then proceeded to test the dummy's gag reflex with his middle finger.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Corneal reflex is not the same as the blink reflex.... to test the corneal reflex you need to touch the cornea itself, not the eye lid.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Doesn't the Trigeminal (V) cranial nerve affect the sensory of the eyelid, and the Glossopharyngeal (IX) and Vagus (X) cranial nerve affect the gag reflex?

Yeh, Hall Ambulance is in Kern county. I'd probably have to move if I got hired there. It's about 5 hours South of me, lol.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The girlfriend of an EMT co-worker of mine decided to post a "sexy" picture of herself on Facebook and tagged my co-worker in it.

This co-worker is friends on facebook with pretty much all the employees at our company. She now has a whole lot of likes on that photo from people she doesn't know. He is going to be in for it when he comes to work tonight :rofl:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Proof or it didn't happen.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
This conversation is useless without pictures.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
:glare: