the 100% directionless thread

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Get it, Adam!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ughhhh. Someone shoot me before I shoot my partner, a fireman, or a patient.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Ughhhh. Someone shoot me before I shoot my partner, a fireman, or a patient.

Put the gun back in your specially made fanny pack with star of life holster, they aren't worth it. :)

bigbaldguy

Start my medic class Monday. Going into it completely blind. No book no uniform nothing. Registered at the last minute.

bigbaldguy

anybody know what the name of the song is that talks about the guys dad running moonshine and talks about smelling the moonshine burning. I'm drawing a blank

edit NM it's copperhead road

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Thanks for the good wishes, guys. Pass or fail, copious amounts of alcohol are in my near future. The outcome of the test just determines whether I'll wake up to find myself on 72 hour hold or not : rofl:

Start my medic class Monday. Going into it completely blind. No book no uniform nothing. Registered at the last minute.

You don't need no steenking books.

But really, almost everything in my books ended up getting further research because I wasn't happy with the book's definition.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Good luck man! You'll do good :)

Adam, hope you do well!

Anjel

Forum Angel

You will do great.

How long is the course?

On a related note. Kinda had a wake up call in class today. I need to kick my *** into high gear.

Cardiology here I come.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Good luck! You'll do great.

The objectives? They're there for a total reason. Make sure you can write out the "answer" to each objective with a good solid understanding of what it means before the test for each chapter.

This is the key to success. You can study and review all day, but unless you can teach yourself, you're spinning your wheels.

And DANG there were a love of homonyms in those two paragraphs.

bigbaldguy

Thanks all. The course is a year and I think it's a pretty decent one. Not a community college unfortunately but with my schedule that would be tricky. Clinicals on this one should be excellent. Didactic is only 433 hours :( but there's 244 hrs of clinical (in a level one hopefully) and 288 hours on a truck (I'll be riding out of the busiest station I can find). Clinicals in theory should include
Trauma 24 hrs
ER 72 hrs
OR 12 hrs
Cath 8 hrs
MICU 12 hrs
SICU 12 hrs
Resp 12 hrs
Psych 12 hrs (hopefully I can get some extra time on this one)
Peds ER 24 hrs
Geriatrics 8 hrs
L/D 24 hrs
Hyperbarics 8 hrs
Mortuary? 4 hrs (not sure what this is about)

Top 6 students get to do a lifeflight ride out. My goal is to be in top 3 so hopefully I'll get a piece of that too.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Mortuary? 4 hrs (not sure what this is about)

Dealing with dead bodies, decomposition, autopsies, etc.

Had a patient yesterday who most likely broke their neck upon falling out of a wheelchair. The hard palate was so anterior and up against the front of the mouth that it was darn near impossible to get the laryngescope blade past the teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Good luck bbg!

Let me tell you, take all the OR time you can get your mitts on. And don't just sit around all day either waiting for a tube. Go sit in the CRNA lounge and pick their and the anesthesiologist's brains for all you are worth.

Oh yea, and never turn down a ride in the bird. :) Fortunately my entire class was able to do shifts with helo crews. I personally was able to do 5 or 6 and rode probably 8 or 10 calls with them.

bigbaldguy

Good luck bbg!

Let me tell you, take all the OR time you can get your mitts on. And don't just sit around all day either waiting for a tube. Go sit in the CRNA lounge and pick their and the anesthesiologist's brains for all you are worth.

One advantage to being an older student is I have no problem jumping on opportunities. I'll definitely shoot for extra OR time if it's an option...OR will I? Sorry I've always wanted to use that line.

bigbaldguy

Dealing with dead bodies, decomposition, autopsies, etc.

I'm not complaining, but is this a normal part of a medic course?

Anjel

Forum Angel

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

This is not normal, but another good opportunity from those guys is to learn some language and tips for dealing with people who just lost a loved one. That's a tricky scene to deal with, and morticians do it well.

My lab partner in a&p class was a guy in his 50s who'd apprenticed in a mortuary for a decade, and was now working on his degree. I learned so much from him.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
So, I'm pretty sure my medical director thinks I'm some sort of a ladies man, he constantly asks me how all the women that follow me around are doing. I have come to the conclusion that I either have a secret society of female stalkers, or that my medical director has me confused with someone else.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
We went to the morgue during A&P.

I think every EMT class should include an autopsy viewing. It's truly fascinating how the human body is assembled and works, and a good pathologist is a great teacher.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

the medic school I teach at spends a day in the cadaver lab with the medical director and other trauma docs. we usually have enough bodys for a 1-5 ratio. it is a great opportunity that we get and it truly helps all the students out. I wish it where a requirement for all medic schools.