the 100% directionless thread

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What provoked this?

Noticing that the forum has recently been lacking a certain sincerity and straightforwardness :p (don't hate if that's not a word...)

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Noticing that the forum has recently been lacking a certain sincerity and straightforwardness :p (don't hate if that's not a word...)

He says he's looking forward to coming back in January.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
5 hours of Double Time pay? Sure I'll drop my BLS unit and pick up an ALS unit.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
5 hours of Double Time pay? Sure I'll drop my BLS unit and pick up an ALS unit.

Fun fun fun. Just stay away from Oaisis. *****y nurses.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Birthday party tonight!!!!!!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Bummed out. Losing a partner who I worked really well with. Didn't matter what kind of call it was she and I knew exactly what the other was going to do and what they were thinking. And we were actual friends. Gonna miss her.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Bummed out. Losing a partner who I worked really well with. Didn't matter what kind of call it was she and I knew exactly what the other was going to do and what they were thinking. And we were actual friends. Gonna miss her.

Bummer. Where's she going?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Bummer. Where's she going?

a company two hours away for two dollars more an hour. I'm really happy she got a better opportunity, just wish it didn't cost me a really great partner.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Was offered a full time position as soon as I finish FTO! :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Was offered a full time position as soon as I finish FTO! :)

Congrats. Do you know what unit you are going to be on? As of right now I believe the only open BLS unit is 202B (noon-midnight on end of weeks)

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
About an hour ago I watched a new ER doc spend 15 minutes trying to intubate this 100 lb little lady...

And congrats exodus

Last edited by a moderator:

socalemt123

Forum Crew Member
Interview Monday afternoon. Let's hope I nail it and get a full time position =) I'm a bit nervous but excited because I need a new job. My full time job right now is going downhill fast =/

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Congrats. Do you know what unit you are going to be on? As of right now I believe the only open BLS unit is 202B (noon-midnight on end of weeks)

Nope, he said I wouldn't know until I'm out of FTO, but that I will be put on a ft shift. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's stories like this and comments like these that has made me lose so much respect for law enforcement.

The fact that anyone could stand behind a police officer, of all people, who was caught going 120 mph in a marked patrol car because he was going to be late to his off duty job is just... well... shocking. It's almost like many officers believe that the laws are meant for anyone but them. I especially loved the comment about how one officer doesn't police other officers. If the police don't police themselves, then whose job is it?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Fark...Florida...there is a reason...

I don't spend to much time in here, but I need to vent/whine.

My partner is going to give me a stroke. I've had some partners that were not the best EMTs in the world, but they were manageable. This guy is in a category of his own. Unfortunately it has gotten to the point where I have no idea what to do, so I'm recommending he have ride time with an FTO. As many problems as I have had with him, I'm feeling guilty about what amounts to throwing him under the bus (no pun intended). I've been putting off turning in the paperwork hoping that things will improve but they haven't (go figure).

He is a really smart guy, who has zero intuition, doesn't like making decisions, and doesn't like using his own judgement. That amounts to a fairly useless partner. He can be helpful if you tell him exactly what to do, but he can't/won't follow the intent of the instructions so if you happen to mess up your instructions....well...

We were on scene of a drunk twit that had some superficial cuts on their hand. We were standing next to our ambulance, and I asked him to please get me some saline from the ambulance to clean the pts hand with. He came back with an IV bag.

HELP!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Fark...Florida...there is a reason...

I don't spend to much time in here, but I need to vent/whine.

My partner is going to give me a stroke. I've had some partners that were not the best EMTs in the world, but they were manageable. This guy is in a category of his own. Unfortunately it has gotten to the point where I have no idea what to do, so I'm recommending he have ride time with an FTO. As many problems as I have had with him, I'm feeling guilty about what amounts to throwing him under the bus (no pun intended). I've been putting off turning in the paperwork hoping that things will improve but they haven't (go figure).

He is a really smart guy, who has zero intuition, doesn't like making decisions, and doesn't like using his own judgement. That amounts to a fairly useless partner. He can be helpful if you tell him exactly what to do, but he can't/won't follow the intent of the instructions so if you happen to mess up your instructions....well...

We were on scene of a drunk twit that had some superficial cuts on their hand. We were standing next to our ambulance, and I asked him to please get me some saline from the ambulance to clean the pts hand with. He came back with an IV bag.

HELP!

My Sunday partner apparently came in to complain about working with me and got switched with a person working an 8 hr shift, who started at 8. So I'm working 7 hours. Completely out of left field because he has never said anything or acted like he didn't want to work with me. But its okay because he is lazy, stubborn and a know it all.

How bout you ditch your partner, move here and work with me?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
He is a really smart guy, who has zero intuition, doesn't like making decisions, and doesn't like using his own judgement.

Let's be honest here, a good portion of EMTs are like that, which is precisely why they stand behind the "I don't want the liability of being a medic, so I'll work as an EMT" bit.

Granted most are more useful, but it's the defense I hear all the time from a certain subset of EMTs. They don't want the responsibility of being the one to make all the decisions on a call, they fall back on "My medic will do it"m or for a certain segment, "I don't feel comfortable running this call, so my medic has to" Yeah.. because medics are NEVER uncomfortable with calls...

He can be helpful if you tell him exactly what to do, but he can't/won't follow the intent of the instructions so if you happen to mess up your instructions....well..

In my academy, we had to do scenarios the other day, and each medic was partnered with an EMT. The way they did it is the least experienced medic got the most experienced EMT, while the most experienced medic (me) got the least experienced EMT.

The scenario was for a combative / nosey family member on a scene, and despite telling my partner multiple times to get the bystander away from me, they kept coming up behind my back, taking me off of my patient.

If it was my LAST partner who'd been an EMT for 14 years, he'd have body slammed her so I could do my thing :p

Last edited by a moderator: