the 100% directionless thread

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Never have I gotten so many looks or had so many nurses or medics walk up to me til today. If you want to be special, start a forehead IV. Nobody knows what to think of it
You've done it now!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Never have I gotten so many looks or had so many nurses or medics walk up to me til today. If you want to be special, start a forehead IV. Nobody knows what to think of it

Vascular access is vascular access.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Eh. There remains an ongoing debate in the critical care circles, specifically, about the ultimate DL vs. VL first pass success rates. Each study that comes out shows one thing or another, but I think the success rates remain very equal in pooled meta-analyses.

My understanding was that the literature was pretty convincing that occasional intubators do better with VL. That said, I don't have institutional access to the journals in a couple years now, so I'm not nearly as abreast of the research as I used to be.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
My understanding was that the literature was pretty convincing that occasional intubators do better with VL. That said, I don't have institutional access to the journals in a couple years now, so I'm not nearly as abreast of the research as I used to be.
I can't comment on the "occasional incubators" part; most of the studies that I was talking about were in an in-hospital context.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I can't comment on the "occasional incubators" part; most of the studies that I was talking about were in an in-hospital context.

Well the definition is murky, but generally means anyone who doesn't intubate at least several times a week.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Right, but I guess I'll be the first to ask- Why?
I tried two other locations and that was the last thing I could find that I hadn't tried already. And at the time, 4mg of Narcan hadn't woken him up, so I was prepping for box #3. It was there, it was gotten.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Well the definition is murky, but generally means anyone who doesn't intubate at least several times a week.

It is starting to seem to me that folks who aren't performing regular live intubations ought not be intubating...?

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sigh.

PHI changed the schedule they had planned so they now require 1 less medic and nurse. Guess I'm stuck on the ground for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I have a bad feeling about Irma. I think either Florida or the Gulf Coast is going to get it again, and Houston will be terribly beaten if we take another hit while the watershed is full...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I have a bad feeling about Irma. I think either Florida or the Gulf Coast is going to get it again

I prefer the top image. The good news is that at least we can get through the holiday weekend without stressing on what it's going to do.

Screenshot_18.png

Screenshot_19.png

Last edited:

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I have stuff to do in NYS... Please Irma no... I'll get you a beer and a lawnchair, just stay away.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I have stuff to do in NYS... Please Irma no... I'll get you a beer and a lawnchair, just stay away.

We got a storm break...I mean Long Island...
So we are safe for one big one.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Two officers shot a little bit ago. Protestors already gathering promising riots worse then Ferguson if Stockley is found not guilty. Going to be a long night

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
We got a storm break...I mean Long Island...
So we are safe for one big one.
I meant things like buy a house, and spend time with my fiance. Not looking to go back home to have to do the same sht in my own state..