the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You know?...some of us haven't even reach the halfway point in our shifts yet, so you can shut your ever-lovin' jinxing meathole.
Hell yes lol

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
You know?...some of us haven't even reach the halfway point in our shifts yet, so you can shut your ever-lovin' jinxing meathole.
Stay blessed.

hhk6j.jpg

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
We did fireworks here last Saturday. No calls, didn't have to leave the station since they were 1/2 a block away. Winning.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
The moment when your neighbor decides to become jason pierre paul and shoot off 2 fingers attached to a firework... knocks on my door...well kicks on my door... Mayne i wasn't even working tonight and i'll still run more calls then some of you folks..

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Damn, almost a no-no. Kershaw is still a beast.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Them there's some fancy words from a non-Angelino-Angelino rootin' fan of such subpar baseball.

I retort... takes one to know one.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
First, the air conditioning in the cab died around 1300. Truck swap after call. Then, the reserve trucks transmission died in Conroe. Tow truck an hour later. Then the thing won't restart after offload so it's parked weird. Can't wait for our new Frazier

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Yesterday was a glorious ED shift. We had 4 patients total throughout the morning and kept about 15 rooms empty throughout the day, plus were grossly overstaffed. Went outside with half of the staff and watched an hour of the race. Having road closures due to a road race helped, but EMS also started taking patients to the other hospital. Barely put on a pair of gloves yesterday.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Did one call yesterday. Drew cultures, didnt meet antibiotic criteria and we dont have then anymore anyway.

Wouldnt even have drawn cultures, but I didnt see any reason for her to get stuck a second time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Had 3 "dry runs" in a row last night. First was a traffic collision with reported ejection. It was in a neighboring district, we don't normally get too many calls in that area from our station, but not unheard of either, and dispatch didn't say anything about multiple units, so we're heading over thinking we are the only ambulance responding....and find out we are the second unit on scene, first one already loaded and took off for the trauma center right after we got on scene, only other passengers on scene had minor cuts and scrapes and none wanted to go to the hospital, so cancel and return...an hour or so later get dispatched to a gunshot wound. Stage for Sheriff, maybe only a couple minutes later get on scene and find out that patient was transported private auto before we got there, so we clear, and as we're pulling out, fire is taking off for a motorcycle down on the freeway in our district.....we take the call, get onscene to find a fender bender between motorcycle and car, no injury, no one wants to go....so we cancel and clear and dispatch acknowledges "Copy, third cancel in a row, return" (though overnight they woke us up for a move up, got into the rig and went on air only to be told to cancel, later get another move up, get about a block away and a unit in that district goes available so we cancel that moveup, finally 3 am moveup to a different district get there, spend half an hour napping on the recliners before dispatch calls us on the station phone "Hey, my cancellation crew, you guys can return".....and finally catch a 0630 call for an injury that happened at midnight (and that's not counting the half dozen or so calls during the day before all this, so all of y'all "I saw one patient/didn't put on a pair of gloves yesterday" can shove it while I go take a damn nap lol)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Have you guys ever seen the levelzero page on FB!?

Man I think I just looked at 800 pictures... each one a hilarious meme about being burned out.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Have you guys ever seen the levelzero page on FB!?

Man I think I just looked at 800 pictures... each one a hilarious meme about being burned out.
Yep. We have probably a dozen guys at my work who follow the page.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
certifications needed to actually get employed somewhere(PT). How long those certs take to get? type of education behind them?
There are a number of certifying bodies that can you can get certified as a personal trainer. The NASM is one of them. Aside from the cost of the certification exam, it might not be a bad idea to get certified through a couple different bodies as gyms sometimes look for/recognize certificates from one organization vs another. This may help your job prospects. Look through the job ads for the gyms in your area as those should have the preferred cert listed.
Degree-wise those that are typically going high end personal trainer (e.g., pro, and collegiate-level athletics) shoot for kinesiology degrees.

@Akulahawk can probably shed some light.
This is very true. A BS in Kinesiology or Sports Med (Athletic Tranining) will both open some doors and close some too. High-end personal trainers are going to have a very extensive knowledge of nutrition that's sports tweaked, biomechanics, and a bunch more. I've been out of that game for about 20 years but I know the basics still and it wouldn't be that difficult to catch back up to current theory and practice. Give me someone that's got an athlete's drive to do stuff and I can do a lot with them.
I just figured to see if maybe i can sneak an associates degree out of it, from the classes i've taken when i was doing nursing school(that didn't pan out), and EMT cert ect.
An Associate's Degree will be helpful but won't give you as complete an education as a Bachelors in Kines will do. Most of the nursing prereqs will be prereqs for a Kines Bachelor's program.
I'm not sure what kind of personal trainer you're getting at. If you're referring to some side cash trainer at your local fitness club, you're overqualified as it stands now.

The career-minded trainers typically tailor their degrees accordingly. It's also quite competitive the higher up, and further in you go, or so I was told by an ex-sports-trainer-to-be-turned-paramedic.
Also true. Higher-end career trainers will very much tailor their education for what they want to do as a trainer. As you get more and more specific, the number of available jobs decrease and you must be able to perform at that higher level (generate results!) so it will get much more competitive for those jobs. Also, as you specialize, the "lower end" gym jobs will be those that you become highly overqualified for and they'll not hire you because of that. Their fear is that you'll leave when a "better" job shows up.
yea, thats what i'm looking for. Trying to be the Top level trainer at a public gym. Its an easy thing to do for money+ save me workout time. figure work as much as possible when i'm young.
"Top level" trainers at a public gym (or even a private chain) will be the ones that generate the most income for the gym. They're going to be good at what they do and they'll be very personable, but ultimately they'll be money-makers for the gym. That means you'll have lots of clients and few opportunities to work out because your schedule will be packed with paying clients. FYI: I have never worked as a personal trainer but I'm not unaware of the business side of things. I may not know the whole back story with some gyms, but this is the economics of personal training at gyms.