the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm sure you've adjusted your definition of cold a bit. :p

Maybe haha. Sometimes it feels like it is 50 degrees inside. We have to turn the A/C down :cool:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's 0409, do you know where your drunks are? We don't, and the sheriff and fire doesn't know either. So I guess we'll just kinda park here and let the deputies search the eight zillion forest service roads.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Grr. Essentially working for free on a trade time shift and missing out on an OT opportunity. When karma for doing the nice thing doesn't work out...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It comes back and pays off.

...and you could have said no. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Of course it's 100 degrees and bluebird all week while I work and now that it's my weekend it's pouring rain and thunderstorms :rolleyes:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
The wife has expanded her job search to: anywhere I can apply for jobs too. She's sick of where we live and her job search is going miserably. So much for grad school.

That sounded bitter, and I'm not. She had grad school paid for. It's just frustrating because she's smart and motivated, but unqualified due to lack of experience. Hopefully something will come up soon.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Today was fun. For the first time in a long while, I felt like I did some good. Yes, any other medic in my shoes would have done the exact same things, but today it got to be me. Helped a little old lady who was dehydrated feel better by treating her nausea and giving her some fluid, did some pretty interesting EKG interpretation that the ED doc congratulated me on, helped turn around a COPDer, and treated an "unresponsive" woman that needed some kind words more than paramedicine. Nothing happened that was overly dramatic or exciting, but it managed to remind me why I like being a paramedic. Funny how those days that seem to recharge you tend to come by when you least expect it.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Ran into a kid I graduated high school with 10 years ago. He was OD'd on heroin.

Took in a 95 y/o that was unresponsive for 4 hours with a heart rate of 30. Son revoked the DNR.

Sometimes my job sucks.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm feeling restless and rather disenfranchised with my job. Frankly, I'm at a point where I'm really dissatisfied with working as a medic, but I don't particularly want to be a nurse or a PA ... Does this happen to everybody? The pervasive attitude seems to be nothing but ":censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and complain" and I find myself falling into it... And I don't like it. I'm not naive enough to believe that I'll change the culture here single handedly.

Eh.

Maybe I'll just get over it.

No you are not the only one. You just put into words exactly how I feel.

Honestly though, I took swapped a day so I have 4 days off in a row, and for some reason that helped TREMENDOUSLY. Got to just sit around and chill at the lake and whatnot and kinda hit the reset button. I would highly recommend it. Swap, take a day of PTO, something....

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm feeling restless and rather disenfranchised with my job. Frankly, I'm at a point where I'm really dissatisfied with working as a medic, but I don't particularly want to be a nurse or a PA ... Does this happen to everybody? The pervasive attitude seems to be nothing but ":censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and complain" and I find myself falling into it... And I don't like it. I'm not naive enough to believe that I'll change the culture here single handedly.

Eh.

Maybe I'll just get over it.

Couldn't agree more.

Keep saying I don't want to go fire but the departments that I'd be down to work for keep opening for applications.

Probably going to put in for both and see where it goes. Can always stay PRN where I work now.

Also thinking of taking lightsandsirens' advice and burning all my PTO since we're finally fully staffed now so they're supposedly approving it. Was basically impossible before.

NomadicMedic

Yeah, PTO is at a premium now, as I need to save it for later in the fall when the baby arrives. (What! Yep, a baby.)

Despite the fact that I really need to take sone time off, I'm actually working OT at our newest station today, and it's BEAUTIFUL. It smells of new carpet and rich mahogany. There are many leather bound books... Oh wait.

It IS really nice though. This medic unit used to be collocated with a volunteer ambulance squad and our "station" was a room in their cold, cinder block building. It's pretty sweet to work out of a brand new building, that is ours exclusively. (Its so new it still has the permit on the window and the contractor's portapotty outside.)

I'm looking forward to enjoying a cup of coffee, reading a book and maybe running a call or two.

Have a great morning all.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to enjoying a cup of coffee, reading a book and maybe running a call or two.

Have a great morning all.

I hope it's a... quiet.... shift for you today...
8aga5ymy.jpg

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know it's been a while since I've posted about the derp on my sister's Facebook account. Here's a gem from one of her friends in a thread about how the US government is turning it's back on Christianity (and if you oppose that, you must be welcoming Sharia law, but I digress).

2ziattt.jpg

NomadicMedic

Every day is a Q day here.

...and sorry about the size of those pic. I posted from the phone.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Omg this fire being control on the scene protocol is the stupidest thing known to man. Why do some of these firemen think they are gods gift to earth!

"If I tell you to do something, you do it" per this captain

Keep in mind we are both ALS providers with the same scope, and this was one of the several FDs we work with.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Easy, who ever is first on scene has all control of patient care.