the 100% directionless thread

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'm feeling restless and rather disenfranchised with my job. Frankly, I'm at a point where I'm really dissatisfied with working as a medic, but I don't particularly want to be a nurse or a PA ... Does this happen to everybody? The pervasive attitude seems to be nothing but ":censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and complain" and I find myself falling into it... And I don't like it. I'm not naive enough to believe that I'll change the culture here single handedly.

Eh.

Maybe I'll just get over it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm feeling restless and rather disenfranchised with my job. Frankly, I'm at a point where I'm really dissatisfied with working as a medic, but I don't particularly want to be a nurse or a PA ... Does this happen to everybody? The pervasive attitude seems to be nothing but ":censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and complain" and I find myself falling into it... And I don't like it. I'm not naive enough to believe that I'll change the culture here single handedly.

Eh.

I often feel the same way about my job. Time for a long vacation?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, Combat Life Saver/Tactical Combat Casualty Care course, we're at the part where we're sticking NPAs in, and we just had a Soldier stick one in herself, not one, but both nostrils o_O

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Eh.

The one good thing about nursing is that if I ever get to that point with my job I have about 10 other specialties I would want to try. Between cath lab, surgical, flight, travel, etc there is always something totally different to do.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Maybe a few days off will help...

I love being a medic... it's all the stuff that goes along with it, when I'm not treating patients.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Maybe a few days off will help...

I love being a medic... it's all the stuff that goes along with it, when I'm not treating patients.

You could be a forum troll for a week. :ph34r:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The one good thing about nursing is that if I ever get to that point with my job I have about 10 other specialties I would want to try. Between cath lab, surgical, flight, travel, etc there is always something totally different to do.

You could be a forum troll for a week. :ph34r:
Well, if Chase ever gets burned out... a week forum trolling might need to be extended to 10 days. Then off to another specialty. :cool:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Day four and we're still getting hosed. Diverted off an assault that turned out to be a near fatal stabbing for a "chest pain" that was a guy calling for a tow truck and AAA called us for some reason...

False STEMI activation that I knew was pericarditis but had no other choice.

Then we miss an extrication accident. Looks like we're doomed to random bs all day in our 105* ambulance with no A/C.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Day four and we're still getting hosed. Diverted off an assault that turned out to be a near fatal stabbing for a "chest pain" that was a guy calling for a tow truck and AAA called us for some reason...

False STEMI activation that I knew was pericarditis but had no other choice.

Then we miss an extrication accident. Looks like we're doomed to random bs all day in our 105* ambulance with no A/C.

No A/C equals out of service for us haha. Or an A/C working but not putting out air that is 78 degrees (I believe it's 78) or less is out of service

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No A/C equals out of service for us haha. Or an A/C working but not putting out air that is 78 degrees (I believe it's 78) or less is out of service

Problem is it works when we're moving. Just not when we're posted.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
That happens with the majority of our units.

If you put the parking break on while parked it revs up the engine (assuming you're in a diesel rig)...which improves the temperature output of the AC...at least this works for me in our units.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
That would be the high idle, but not every diesel truck has it. Our truck has been doing that too now that it's warm outside. I guess in our truck the same compressor has to run the cab and squad body AC, meaning it just doesn't have enough juice when it's idling. Fortunately this really only comes into play if we go get food somewhere and leave the truck outside. If we had to post with that kind of heat I'd be grouchy.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

My car is doing that, but I'm not sure I want to spend 100 bucks just yet.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

If you put the parking break on while parked it revs up the engine (assuming you're in a diesel rig)...which improves the temperature output of the AC...at least this works for me in our units.

No offense but I've worked in the field for two years....I know how to work my unit :)

It blows engine temp air with the high idle on.

Low idle is lukewarm to hot air.

Moving down the road is somewhat cooler than outside air.

Tried turning the mod AC on, off. Killing the mod power...dispatch didn't like that we stopped tracking...

Parking in the shade, nada. It's my Friday so she's going back to the mechanics' bay for some love again.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

We have to park in the shade, set the high idle, pop the hood wide open, put up a sunshade, and cover the side windows with our safety vests to get it cold inside lol

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
We have to park in the shade, set the high idle, pop the hood wide open, put up a sunshade, and cover the side windows with our safety vests to get it cold inside lol
I'm sure you've adjusted your definition of cold a bit. :p