the 100% directionless thread

JPINFV

Gadfly
Easy, who ever is first on scene has all control of patient care.

Sure... if the first on scene wants to accompany the patient to the hospital. Otherwise the transport agency should have priority (assuming same level of training).

Omg this fire being control on the scene protocol is the stupidest thing known to man. Why do some of these firemen think they are gods gift to earth!

"If I tell you to do something, you do it" per this captain

Keep in mind we are both ALS providers with the same scope, and this was one of the several FDs we work with.

That's why I love working with the county fire guys up here.....sandbag to almost every call resulting in us being first on scene almost all the time. Plus nobody steps on each other's toes, which is nice. At night, they usually just send one guy in to see if they are needed.

Alot of times they'll just be sitting and waiting inside of the engine for us to arrive so they don't have to bring their gear in or do patient care.

Wow. Just wow.

That backfired on them once when we went in and a patient was in severe respiratory distress with sats in the 60s....did that change anything? Absolutely not. Fire doesn't think their the second coming of Jesus up here for the most part. They are completely content with turfing all medical-aids to AMR while doing the least possible amount of work.

It also really sucks for the medic interns that choose to do their field time with them.....most of the time it's awkward when they come in afterwards and ask the same questions we did. The crew usually wants to get out of there fast so they just tell the kid they'll mark it as an ALS contact and rush out of there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
Alot of times they'll just be sitting and waiting inside of the engine for us to arrive so they don't have to bring their gear in or do patient care.

That's been known to happen around here with some crews. Fortunately, I never experienced it first hand, though.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

We have one station like that. Working a full arrest my medic hands a bag of saline to the fire captain and asks him to spike it. The captain sets it down and tells the medic "do it yourself". I've had them walk out of a house when they hear our siren, when we enter the house the patient is still having an active seizure.

We have one station like that. Working a full arrest my medic hands a bag of saline to the fire captain and asks him to spike it. The captain sets it down and tells the medic "do it yourself". I've had them walk out of a house when they hear our siren, when we enter the house the patient is still having an active seizure.

Nice dude, looks like it's not just a probłem in the high desert.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That would not fly here. At all.

10 hour bonus shift with a rate of $35.16/hour? Yes, I will accept.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If its an MVA or fire, why not?

LE controls MVAs here unless its an extrication.

That captain would've gotten booted from my scene in a heartbeat and a Supe would definitely be on the way. "Do it yourself." "Ok, go sit in the engine and I'll come talk to you when I'm finished here."

You don't wanna do the job anymore then quit.