post-nominals

terrible one

Always wandering
Call me arrogant if you will, but my two year degree with far out do a 110 hour first aid course...

Are you attending Ventura's school?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
On a serious note, I am glad to see they have started to get away from EMT as part of the Paramedic designation. It does serve, even if just in a small way, to coincide with the changes that are taking place to raise the bar for Paramedic education and make them more level with RN's and other health professionals. One article I read (cant remember who wrote it) advocated for Paramedics to always place AS beside their name as well to signify to their counterparts in healthcare that they are degreed and educated and have the same standing. I agree with this totally.

Some places still don't require their paramedic students to complete a degree program. So, the AS wouldn't work. Not everyone has a degree.Taking away the technician from our name won't change the fact that some EMS providers will still be... technicians. You can slap a fancy name on anything, but if you don't change anything but that, does it really matter? I don't think so.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
I see your point but I disagree. I think more respect will be earned by insisting on more and better training, thus enabling us to do a better job. The letters that are posted after our names will not achieve this. It's nice, don't get me wrong... I'm sure it's a great ego boost and all that. But, really, does it matter at the end of the day? The times that I've needed EMS all I've cared about is that they treated me and my family with respect but, above all, that they were capable. I didn't look at their patches or their name tags to see what letters came after their name; I also didn't care. People shouldn't expected to respect EMS people simply because someone has the gold patch or a bunch of letters after their name. I'd seriously question the motives of someone in EMS who really gets worked up about these issues.

You are quite wrong we need to change the name from Technician. not for the publics view but for the medical community. When we are recognized as clinicians it will open the door to increased education and funding as we will no longer be looked upon by our hospital counterparts as being "techs." Once the medical community sees that we are not all babbling idiots we could essentially change EMS and yes a simple change in title could initiate that process. It is not about what the public views us as to them everyone in an ambulance is a "paramedic" no matter what skill level that or your an "ambulance driver." The change is required for the medical community... most nurses in the areas I've worked view paramedics and EMTs as glorified taxi drivers you must understand the medical community in large part looks down upon paramedics. Could a simple name change get away from such stereo types? possibly.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yes, Vent I meant respiratory. I'm on my phone and as such get a few mispellings, which is why you often see the as "tge". :)

Again, I'm not for taking it off, but we have bigger fish to fry tgat actually matter.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Some places still don't require their paramedic students to complete a degree program. So, the AS wouldn't work

This was referred to only if the Paramedic has such degree. And the push is to have all new Paramedics degreed.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think it's kinda funny to see how many are not up to date with what has already occurred. There are NO more EMT-Paramedics or EMT-I or even Basic EMT levels according the National Standards and have not been for a while. So all is a mute point. Really folks, you ought to do some reading. States may want to stay antiquated but they will not for long.

Yes, titles are important and usually those that do not have any of such are the ones that acclaim that it is not important. Yeah, I get made fun of daily because of my titles, so be it. I always exclaim; come back after you pass the test, degree then laugh at me.. I've yet have that happen in the past 30 years after passing a speciality test.

Do I look at titles? You bet! After being educated from Vent I definitely can tell the difference from most therapists and from tech.'s and those that are real CCP's and just Paramedics. Ask a normal Paramedic what a triple lumen is and what port you should use, the same as in nursing for as the difference between a CCRN and CEN and those that just work in the department. Yes, they are usually the ones that go that extra mile for educational and clinical experience.

Again, those that don't even have any additional titles telling me how it is. Kinda like those entering EMS or in Paramedic school advising me how Paramedics should be.. Until you have really achieved that point and have some clinical experience as such, would it not be wise just to be quiet instead of looking like a fool later?

R/r911

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd like to pose a question: How will having any letter or combination of letters at the end of your name improve patient care and outcome? It won't? Well, then I'd say it doesn't matter.

Why are you even worried about this? My vote is, if it doesn't improve the way the job is done then it doesn't matter. It's kind of like broadcast radio: Most of the highly-produced station IDs and promos you hear are mainly done by radio guys to entertain themselves and each other. The average Joe doesn't even care about that stuff or even notice it. The average Joe won't care if you put "P," "NREMT-B," "NREMT-P" or nothing at all after you name. All they care about is that you do the job well enough to keep them or their loved one alive so that the docs can further treat them.

I will put "Jon Tullos, NREMT-B (and eventually P)..." But I'm not going to worry about it.

Of course it makes a difference in patient care. For years, it has always been required that titles be visible on name tags. I look at everyone's name tag before they treat me. I look at name tags before I give report to make sure I am not giving it to the ward clerk or admitting person. Patients have a right to know whether there is a RRT, RN, PT, PA, NP, MD, CNA at their bedside. Every other profession above does not have technician in their title. As an RN in they would stand for Vocational in their title as like an LVN.

Also it makes a huge difference in the long run. When we petition congress and who have you for increased compensation and scope of practice, they are going to laugh and tell us to come back when we better than technicians.
Why would Linus and JonTulus argue against smoothing a path to better pay and patient care?

Also, what is wrong with a little pride in finally shaking off the EMT part of our education?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Also, what is wrong with a little pride in finally shaking off the EMT part of our education?

Again, those that don't or can't usually will argue against it. Similar to the debate about formal education vs. training. Unless you have been able to or completed, you really cannot voice an educated opinion.

Part of the problem within EMS is allowing those persuade when in fact that really should have no say. We have too long been afraid of hurting other people's feelings, when in reality we should be concerned what is best for the patient.

Let's be serious about this. Do you think that nurses would ever even discuss if they could place their MSN, DnSC with nurse aides? Ludicrous.

Again, come back and tell me all about it when and if, you obtain the respected titles and if we should or should not do. Until then it does not really matter, does it?

R/r911

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's be serious about this. Do you think that nurses would ever even discuss if they could place their MSN, DnSC with nurse aides? Ludicrous.

R/r911

That is a great point, and since EMTs are about the equivalent of a CNA, I would say its a good comparison.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I think a couple of you have seriously misunderstood what I typed. Go back and read my posts. I never said that I was against taking EMT off anything. You assumed that somehow, how that is I have no idea. You put words into my mouth (fingers?). All I said was that at the end of the day I don't see how it matters. Maybe it does more than I realized, I don't know. I just don't understand why this is even a debate. Put whatever letters you want behind your name. It's not going to affect the price of tea in China.

To suggest that I'm arguing against the advancement of EMS or that I want to see it "held back" is idiotic.

I resent that suggestion.

Jon

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I think a couple of you have seriously misunderstood what I typed. Go back and read my posts. I never said that I was against taking EMT off anything. You assumed that somehow, how that is I have no idea. You put words into my mouth (fingers?). All I said was that at the end of the day I don't see how it matters. Maybe it does more than I realized, I don't know. I just don't understand why this is even a debate. Put whatever letters you want behind your name. It's not going to affect the price of tea in China.

To suggest that I'm arguing against the advancement of EMS or that I want to see it "held back" is idiotic.

I resent that suggestion.

Jon
Well, in a way you are. I have had my eyes opened as to how much the Respiratory Therapists have advanced their profession by some forum members and some of my own research. They are proud of it. They are paid more because of it, are treated more collegially when around other professionals in the hospital, some even teach new doctors, and they are able to care for patients better. This is all because they made a transition from technician to therapist. And apperances DO MATTER. They removed technician from their title, and along with hard work, came a better career and more respect.

You can put down something without knowing it.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
If that's the way you took it, I apologize but that's not the way I intended it. Why would anyone in the profession argue against the advancement of it? Granted, I'm still a student but I'm well on my way to being in it as a professional and I do care about the future of EMT. From what I can tell there are some great things are going to happen and I'm glad that I'm going to be a part of it. Dropping EMT from Paramedic is a great thing. There should be more and better training to all EMS pros at all levels. And yes I think that all EMTs should go on to be paramedics. So there. :p

BTW, how about we just leave it as "EMT" or "Paramedic" for what goes at the end of our names? As stated in the 10-codes thread, plain English is better. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Paramedic is too long for professional communications, etc.
If I have to write Daedalus, Paramedic all the time, it is going to get old.
Nurses do not spell out their titles, Jane Doe, Registered Nurse vs Jane Doe, RN
or Jane Doe, Licensed Vocational Nurse vs Jane Doe, LVN

Last edited by a moderator:

atropine

Forum Captain
Who really cares about some title that reflects a patch. Even my department uniform does not have any sort of ems symbol or paramedic wording and I know Iam a paramedic and getting paid well for what I do.:rolleyes:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Who really cares about some title that reflects a patch. Even my department uniform does not have any sort of ems symbol or paramedic wording and I know Iam a paramedic and getting paid well for what I do.:rolleyes:

And how much OT did you have to do? I think we've already been through that. You are NOT very well paid at all by CA standards. I wouldn't consider a contract in your area even with expenses paid making what your base salary is.

You are right. For your department you are all just a number and no one excels at anything. Sorry but that is a poor way for a FD to provide as an example for providing EMS or Fire service. So please stop trying to put your FD as the example of how great it can provide EMS. You are doing those in FDs that do EMS well a great disservice.

atropine

Forum Captain
And how much OT did you have to do? I think we've already been through that. You are NOT very well paid at all by CA standards. I wouldn't consider a contract in your area even with expenses paid making what your base salary is.

You are right. For your department you are all just a number and no one excels at anything. Sorry but that is a poor way for a FD to provide as an example for providing EMS or Fire service. So please stop trying to put your FD as the example of how great it can provide EMS. You are doing those in FDs that do EMS well a great disservice.

What disservice are you talking about, the people get a great service I get to make about 100K+ a year and everyone is happy. If not things would have changed by now I mean paramedics have only been around for 30= years now. So I ask you how is the FD providng foor service.:)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What disservice are you talking about, the people get a great service I get to make about 100K+ a year and everyone is happy. If not things would have changed by now I mean paramedics have only been around for 30= years now. So I ask you how is the FD providng foor service.:)

I am not saying FDs are bad but just the way you have described yours makes it a bad example or should I say a good example of how not to do things. And why is your FD so afraid to admit it does EMS? The FDs that do EMS well have no problem identifying their Paramedics and ambulances. Is EMS an embarrassment for you and your FD?

Seriously, tell the forum how much OT you have had to do to make $100k. I see nothing to brag about when all of your time must be spent at work just so you can say you make $100k.

atropine

Forum Captain
I am not saying FDs are bad but just the way you have described yours makes it a bad example or should I say a good example of how not to do things. And why is your FD so afraid to admit it does EMS? The FDs that do EMS well have no problem identifying their Paramedics and ambulances. Is EMS an embarrassment for you and your FD?

Seriously, tell the forum how much OT you have had to do to make $100k. I see nothing to brag about when all of your time must be spent at work just so you can say you make $100k.

Our ambulances say paramedics on them, it's just traditionaly are patches don't that's all. I only had to pull about 3 extra shifts a month to make that much cash, which equals to about 13 24 hour :censored::censored::censored::censored:s per month for the year.

8jimi8

CFRN
so you are working 72 hours a week?