Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Normal FF time
10 x 24 = 240 hours (2880)

Hours for overtime
13 x 24 = 312 (3744 a year)

Civilian hours
4 x 40 = 160 (1920 a year)

To make $100,000, you spend close to 42% of a year at work.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Normal FF time
10 x 24 = 240 hours (2880)

Hours for overtime
13 x 24 = 312 (3744 a year)

Civilian hours
4 x 40 = 160 (1920 a year)

To make $100,000, you spend close to 42% of a year at work.

It's too bad he doesn't know what medical professionals, especially in CA, can make without working almost 4000 hours.

medic3416

Forum Probie
Back to the original question.

Jane Smith EMP- Emergency Medicine Paramedic. :excl: and add degree letters as achieved.
Jane Smith EMP-AS
Jane Smith EMP-BS
Jane Smith EMP-MS

Jane Smith EMP, MS-PA (me soon!!^_^)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Back to the original question.

Jane Smith EMP- Emergency Medicine Paramedic. :excl: and add degree letters as achieved.
Jane Smith EMP-AS
Jane Smith EMP-BS
Jane Smith EMP-MS

Jane Smith EMP, MS-PA (me soon!!^_^)

You can add your degree letters behind your name at any time. Since there are very few BS and MS programs for EMS, it would be misleading to add a MS in Planetary Science behind your credentialing letters

Also when writing your credentials formally, you put your highest degree obtained and then follow with the highest licensure to lowest. That is why the EMT-P is listed last if it is included by an RRT or RN.

Good luck with the PA program.

medic3416

Forum Probie
You can add your degree letters behind your name at any time. Since there are very few BS and MS programs for EMS, it would be misleading to add a MS in Planetary Science behind your credentialing letters

Also when writing your credentials formally, you put your highest degree obtained and then follow with the highest licensure to lowest. That is why the EMT-P is listed last if it is included by an RRT or RN.
I stand corrected.

Either way the point was to suggest EMP (Emergency Medicine Paramedic) for a proper title and change from EMT-P.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

I have read and seen that as well read and been informed to place your highest level of license first then your educational, and sub-speciality afterwards. i.e. RN, MSN, CCRN.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Many will argue that the emphasis is placed on the one that will least likely be taken away from you which would be the education. Licenses can come and go and certs are temporary if they expire as someone fails to keep them current.

Example: My "favorite doctor and author" no longer holds a medical license to practice medicine in FL but still has a doctoral degree in medicine. Thus, he can still put MD after name. I have not seen any board certifications after his name because the physician is usually required to be practicing/licensed at the time of certification. I believe he did hold one in Plastic Surgery but again I have not seen him use that designation behind his name since he lost his license to practice.

Someone can also put the letters to a nursing degree behind their name to represent education but not actually hold a license. We currently have several Paramedics who write their nursing degree letters obtained from Excelsior but are unable to get a license as an RN.

There is also debate in the RN and RRT communities as to whether NREMT-P is a legal credential of conflict or just a representation of certification since they are still working under their RN or RRT license. Some places only require proof of certification by exam and do not require the RN or RRT to actually apply for license. Much like the FP-C, the Paramedic exam can also be used to test knowledge.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That is the reason, I demand a job description that ensures me to work as both. As most employers like the benefits of my dual license, then get me a role and description as stating that.

I too have seen many M.D.'s (non-licensed) that still write their title as such even though they never passed their exams but did finish medical school. I know of one that teaches advanced anatomy in a high class private high school.

The debate of titles, will always go on even in the higher academia world. One of the little pet peeves of some and nothing to others.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
That is the reason, I demand a job description that ensures me to work as both. As most employers like the benefits of my dual license, then get me a role and description as stating that.

I like to keep my licenses separate. When working on ground EMS as a Paramedic, I do not want to be asked to transport a patient on an IABP or adult ECMO because of my RRT license if the truck and crew I am with does not have similar CCT experience. There is also a good possibility the med box may not have everything I need either. I would like to be able to follow through with the treatment plan from one ICU to another. If there are provisions for my RRT license made by the EMS medical director then maybe but again if the service is not geared for it and still just provides what an ALS truck has to offer, then no I will not extend my RRT license to do something half arsed.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Good information here, never knew some of these things. I look forward to the day that people aren't sure which order to write their credentials because a paramedic is an equal to an RN. We've been down that road enough times though.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Good information here, never knew some of these things. I look forward to the day that people aren't sure which order to write their credentials because a paramedic is an equal to an RN. We've been down that road enough times though.

Medics are not equal to an RN. And they never will be unless the mindset in EMS, especially about education, changes.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Medics are not equal to an RN. And they never will be unless the mindset in EMS, especially about education, changes.

The Paramedic can be on equal level professionally with the RN regardless of what the state says about whose license is higher. This is seen on many Flight teams. However, education is stressed and not just showing up with an accelerated medic mill patch while waving an ACLS card and yelling I can do cool skills. Flight teams that are professionally run like to see a degree along with appropriate experience. They don't care to hear how you did 30 calls per shift as a taxi driver even though your truck said ALS Paramedics on the side. This is the point I was tryin gto make with the young person in his EMS statistics thread.