post-nominals

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
As we are moving away from calling Paramedics "EMT-Paramedics" to reflect the fact that what we do is not technician level, I feel that we should discuss possible alternatives for our post-nominals. As Jon Smith, EMT-P is pretty much the only post-nominal we have, what do you think it should be changed to? Or should we keep the EMT-P?

I feel that one should have the right to proudly display their earned credentials, and as EMS moves toward more stringent educational requirements with the accreditation requirements and national scope model, we should be proud to see paramedicine leave the EMT title behind.

My thoughts

"Jon Smith, MICP" mobile intensive care paramedic
"Jon Smith, pMED" Paramedic
"Jon Smith, NR-P" Nationally Registered Paramedic
"Jon Smith, EP" Emergency Paramedic
"Jon Smith, ECP" Emergency care paramedic/practitioner
"Jon SMith, RP" Registered Paramedic

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally, I don't really care what letters are at the end of my name.

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
To be clear, this is not a vanity issue nor an alphabet soup type thing. This is my attempt to stimulate conversation involving the elimination of EMT from most aspects of paramedicine. I could care less what actually becomes of the letters, as long as I am not still and "EMT".

Call me arrogant if you will, but my two year degree with far out do a 110 hour first aid course...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Seeing as my state is an NREMT state, I'll probably just continue to use NREMT-(level).

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
To be clear, this is not a vanity issue nor an alphabet soup type thing. This is my attempt to stimulate conversation involving the elimination of EMT from most aspects of paramedicine. I could care less what actually becomes of the letters, as long as I am not still and "EMT".

Call me arrogant if you will, but my two year degree with far out do a 110 hour first aid course...

I firmly agree with you. I will be happy to leave the title of EMT behind. I also believe that the two year degree for paramedic should be the required minimum to practice pre-hospital emergency medicine

reaper

Working Bum
In FL we used PM. That would work nationaly!

Jon Smith, PM

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Seeing as my state is an NREMT state, I'll probably just continue to use NREMT-(level).

That means your title will be NR-P. National Registry is dropping the EMT out of the medic title. Thankfully

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I could care less what actually becomes of the letters, as long as I am not still and "EMT".

How much less could you care?

Yup, kinda arrogant if you truly think about it.. What does it matter what the letters at the end of your name say? Is it going to effect how you treat patients? How your coworkers that know you're a medic view you?

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
How much less could you care?

Yup, kinda arrogant if you truly think about it.. What does it matter what the letters at the end of your name say? Is it going to effect how you treat patients? How your coworkers that know you're a medic view you?

It is not arrogant. And it makes a lot of difference. This is an all inclusive sort of deal. The EMT aspect needs to be removed from all aspects of our profession, including our title. This means in our textbooks, our reimbursement, etc. When we want more compensation, those in charge can rightfully call us "just medical technicians" if we allow this to be on our title, as our title is our legal name.

Additionally, most professionals who earn their title are proud of it. I am not talking obsession, but an LVN who becomes and RN no longer has to put "vocational" in their title. We should be no different, no?

I am sorry if you feel that my future family should be provided on by a "tech" salary. I disagree with you. I am moving forward. You seem to like to argue with anything that represents progress for future paramedics.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You seem to like to argue with anything that represents progress for future paramedics.

Do I now? So, that must be why I want to be a medic too, right? To hold us back even more? I don't argue against progress, I simply play devils advocate in 99% of the threads so people don't fall back on the same lame answers that prove nothing. BIG difference.

Fact is, if 3 letters (not 2, but 3) at the end of your name make a world of difference in your view of things, then maybe you need to look at things differently.

Other thing is, the public really doesn't care. All EMS personnel will always be EMTs AND Medics, synonyms of eachother, just as "shopping cart" and "buggy" are. No amount of bickering and infighting between us will ever solve that.

I not once said you can't be happy with your cert when you get it. In fact, you'd be crazy not to be, and yes, everyone should continue on to medic, but I wouldn't get too offended by having "EMT" infront of "Paramedic" Paramedic is what counts, be happy when you get it.

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
The post nominals are part of your legal title, and as the profession moves away from technician level education, our titles should reflect that. That is logical causality, not arrogance.

Respectfully, I am moving on from this argument. It is clear that you are going to vote for keeping "EMT-P". Which is fine, now lets see what others think so you and I do not derail this thread.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Never said that either.

I'm not against taking EMT away, I simply said it shouldn't really matter.

And already put my contribution in.. "P" :)

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I have wanted NREMT-P beside my name for a long freak'n time.... so hopefully they wait til after I graduate before they change it ;)

On a serious note, I am glad to see they have started to get away from EMT as part of the Paramedic designation. It does serve, even if just in a small way, to coincide with the changes that are taking place to raise the bar for Paramedic education and make them more level with RN's and other health professionals. One article I read (cant remember who wrote it) advocated for Paramedics to always place AS beside their name as well to signify to their counterparts in healthcare that they are degreed and educated and have the same standing. I agree with this totally.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I'd like to pose a question: How will having any letter or combination of letters at the end of your name improve patient care and outcome? It won't? Well, then I'd say it doesn't matter.

Why are you even worried about this? My vote is, if it doesn't improve the way the job is done then it doesn't matter. It's kind of like broadcast radio: Most of the highly-produced station IDs and promos you hear are mainly done by radio guys to entertain themselves and each other. The average Joe doesn't even care about that stuff or even notice it. The average Joe won't care if you put "P," "NREMT-B," "NREMT-P" or nothing at all after you name. All they care about is that you do the job well enough to keep them or their loved one alive so that the docs can further treat them.

I will put "Jon Tullos, NREMT-B (and eventually P)..." But I'm not going to worry about it.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Its not being mentioned and considered because someone believes it will directly effect patient care. In the long run it may though however, once we advance to the recognition level we need to in order to be trusted to offer more advanced level modalities.

Its a signifier that changes are taking place in EMS and for the better. It signifies that Paramedics are on a equal level with providers such as RNs, RRTs, etc and deserve to be compensated as such. There is a whole back end of EMS that needs attention in order for the necessary change to occur so it can then be brought out front to the streets.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't see too many respitory TECHNICIANS get all itchy about having tech in their name and credentials... And they all have 2+ year degrees.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Its not being mentioned and considered because someone believes it will directly effect patient care. In the long run it may though however, once we advance to the recognition level we need to in order to be trusted to offer more advanced level modalities.

Its a signifier that changes are taking place in EMS and for the better. It signifies that Paramedics are on a equal level with providers such as RNs, RRTs, etc and deserve to be compensated as such. There is a whole back end of EMS that needs attention in order for the necessary change to occur so it can then be brought out front to the streets.

I see your point but I disagree. I think more respect will be earned by insisting on more and better training, thus enabling us to do a better job. The letters that are posted after our names will not achieve this. It's nice, don't get me wrong... I'm sure it's a great ego boost and all that. But, really, does it matter at the end of the day? The times that I've needed EMS all I've cared about is that they treated me and my family with respect but, above all, that they were capable. I didn't look at their patches or their name tags to see what letters came after their name; I also didn't care. People shouldn't expected to respect EMS people simply because someone has the gold patch or a bunch of letters after their name. I'd seriously question the motives of someone in EMS who really gets worked up about these issues.

reaper

Working Bum
So, when your family is taken to the Ed for treatment ,you won't care if a trauma surgeon or a podiatrist is treating them? I sure as hell look at the credentials of the person that I am trusting my families lives to!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I don't see too many respitory TECHNICIANS get all itchy about having tech in their name and credentials... And they all have 2+ year degrees.

Do you mean Respiratory?

We no longer have "technicians" since the two year degree became the minimum. The only "technicians" are those that were previously grandfathered or failed to upgrade within the allotted time. We recently put a 5 year limit on those holding lower credentials to upgrade.

The previous credentials were:
CRTT - Certified Respiratory Therapy Technician
This indicated a minimally educated person with usually only one year of education.

It has been replaced with CRT - Certified Respiratory Therapist
This shows one has at least a two year degree but has only taken the entry level exam.

The RRT - Registered Respiratory Therapist is the higher credential which is also a minimum of a two year degree and both the entry level exam and the advanced with a clinical simulation test are required.

By just changing the word from Technician to Therapist has gotten big recognition from the insurance agencies including Medicare for reimbursement. It has also enabled the Therapists to petition for expanded scope with reimbursement outside of the normal hospital areas and into the clinics. So yes, there is a big difference from being considered a "tech" and being respected as a "Therapist".