how to get experience

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by TJC@Jul 13 2005, 11:24 PM
If it's any consolation, I'm having the same problem. I live in a tiny rural community in Navarro Co. Texas. It seems most of the EMS around here is now run out of the FD and I can't make the requirements for fire academy (I'm a "little girl" even though I'm well over 19y/o). The few private and volunteer services that are within driving distance are overwhelmed with applications, a lot of them from fire fighters looking for something to do on their days off. They "don't have room" for a new EMT-B with no experience, even though I too put in many more than the required clinical hours. It's very frustrating. I've even tried applying in other places across the state knowing that I'd have to relocate my family and put off medic school for a while. Still no luck. All I can tell you is keep your chin up, keep trying, and pray hard for an open door. That's what I'm doing. :(
Well at least I know I'm not the only one. I think that I could find SOMETHING in Dallas. But I just left there and that is the last thing that I want to do is go back. Plus I am already enrolled in a Medic Program in Tyler. But at the same time, I dont know if I can continue to drive to school without having a job to pay for gas and food, etc. I think it is probably to late to try to get into a medic program in the Dallas area. And I am going to medic school off scholarships, and they are already sent to Tyler Junior College. I don't think I would be able to get the check rewritten in time, and then sent to Dallas.

I think I will just buckle down and beg until I can figure something out.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you tried ETMC or Champion EMS? I'm not sure of their age requirement, but I know they both are seeking EMT-B's..................................

If these are not a feasible option, you may need to look around Dallas. I agree with you that it is difficult to maintain a school and work schedule, you may also need to prioritize which is more important to you right now. It is a difficult decision I know and being in rural East Texas does limit your options, but if it takes going to Dallas to get the experience, you may want to consider it. I will ask around as I have several contacts in East Texas, keep me abreast of anything that you find.....

Good Luck!!!!!

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I have checked with them... I have many good connections with ETMC, and I believe that I will have a job there as soon as I am of age.

For ETMC the age requirement is 19, and for Champion, it is 21.

Right now school is more important to me becuase my long term goal is to be a flight nurse. Therefore I dont believe that I have a second to waste.

My biggest problem is that I have $800 dollars in savings, and about $200 left on my credit card. If I can make that last all semester (including the gas for the 100 mile round trip) then I believe I can handle not working for now.

One question that I have is... for most services, you have to take a skills test. If I am not going to be able to get on with a service til the Dec-Jan timeframe... how can I keep my skills fresh so that I dont forget them??????? I will be in the 1st semester of the medic program... will that allow me enough practict to keep my skills fresh?????

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Finally I got the home number to two volunteers here in my town. I haven't called them yet, but I am going to. This still only solves some of my problems.... I still need something that pays so that I can pay for gas to make the long trip to school mon-thurs...... :( :( :(

vtemti

Forum Captain
Even if you can get into a volunteer organization for the time being, it will help get you the experience so the paid services will eventually start taking notice. Just keep checking in and making a pain in the a*& of yourself and maybe someone will hire you.

In Vermont this isn't a problem as we need to be affiliated before we can get certified.

Good Luck and welcome to our world.

Also, welcome to TJC.

TJC

Forum Probie
Thought I'd share some good news. A small local EMS services has agreed to put me on as a volunteer (with 90 day orientation period) until they can provide me with a paid position. It will only be part time to begin with, but it's a start. And they plan to help me get funding for medic school when I'm ready to start. I still have one more application to turn in to another service, but things are starting to move in the right direction! :D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Congratulations! Best of luck to you! :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Awesome. See how that paid off. Keep it up.

vtemti

Forum Captain
Ya see, I post a reply and s&#t happens.

Congrats and all the best from VT.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Hey TJC, what service is it? Hopefully I will get lucky soon as well ;) I wish there were more volunteer ems agencies around here. That would solve most of my problems!!!

Ian

Forum Crew Member
First post here, but I thought I'd chime in, have you thought of just getting a regular job until you can find something in the EMS field? I just entered my EMT-B course yesterday, but I can tell you. While getting my EMT-B, I will be working at a local lumber yard to still support my life. Many of the people I know in the EMS field who are still in school to become a -P have other jobs too. While it may not be great, and may stink, if you cannot suppliment your life to get training in your field, then you may not get training in your field. I'd love to work for someone with my cert after I graduate, but if I can't, I'll keep doing what I'm doing until something opens up. Also, I know of fairs and events outside that need EMS people. Church fairs, church retreats, fairs, ect(This might also be a good place to meet your local FD). You can maybe try to volunteer for one of those everytime they come up, and keep track of them. I've lived a rather confusing life with many turns, but I've always been willing to do what it takes to better myself. If that means working in some horrible job while maintaining school, then that is what I will do. Follow your dreams, regardless if you have to take a sidetrack. Hope all works out for ya bud. I'm also 19, so I know what it feels like to not have much experiance but at the same time, keep your sanity and try to work it out. :)

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well I was working a local grocery store for 3 yrs in high school, and I tried to keep the job while in college, but I go to school do miles east of where I live, and I was working 30 miles west of where I live. With class, school, and clinicals, I was NEVER home. My sleep was inbetween classes, and on the back of the ambulance. My parents pretty much made me quit my job because they were scared that I was going to wreck one night becuase I was driving all the time, and on very little sleep. The only problem with getting a general job is that I live in a very small town. First off, there are no jobs, and second, I have even vetured out to look in other town, but no one can work around my school schedule becuase I go to school mon-thurs 8-5. But every ems agency and hospital is very willing to work with me on this issue. They just tell me that I am not old enough, or I dont have enough experience. I think I am just going to get on with the vol fire service here so that I can utilize my certs. And I think I have enough in savings to support myself for 3 or 4 months. I HOPE <_<

Good luck in your EMT-B class Ian... Study lots!!!!! Dont let the Nat.Reg. take you over.... IT CAN BE PASSED... I passed it my 1st attempt, but I was so scared becuase everyone was telling that not many people pass it on their first attempt. Im proof that it CAN BE DONE !!!!

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope all goes well, and I understand the hectic schedule. But, like I said, to me this is a dream. I've wanted to do this since I was 6 years old, I've read every medical and anatomy book I could find since I was 10. My mother has her masters in Nursing, and is a nurse practionery. My father was an EMT-P, Firefighter and LEO for 27 years. I think I'll be fine as long as I study and have my motivation. I've already read my class book, and am now reading it agian(Read it before I entered the program out of curiosity) so, hopefully I'll be able to memorize it all. Eager to learn most of all, not sure if I can take as many clinical hours as I want in a ambulance or the ER, but will try. :)

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I took clinicals almost every day before class. And I was on the ambulance everyday that I didn't have class. My dream has always been to be either a flight medic or nurse. I had a crazy idea in high school to go to medical school to be a pediatric orthopedic surgeon. Im definatly smart enough, but I spent almost a year in the hospital last year, and decided that was not what I really wanted to do, and decided to follow my real dream. I was an EMT before I technically graduated high school. My dream started when I was 11 when my mother and sister were killed in a car accident. I was the only survivor from both vehicles. This is a dream for me, and also I kinda fell like I owe it to the ems community. If it wasnt for them, I wouldnt be here today!!!

TJC

Forum Probie
To answer your question emtbass, RHC EMS in a tiny dot of a town called Hubbard, not far from Waco.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well i live in a tiny dot town as well... Edgewood... its not too far from Canton.

TJC

Forum Probie
I don't actually live in Hubbard. My dot is even smaller than theirs...lol

I have kin folk near Canton. Or I did anyway (distant kin we found when tracing our family tree and really no nothing about). I've been over for trade days too when I was younger. Always a good dog or horse at the sells. Know any folks over there by the name of Brunson?

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Actually I haven't lived here very long, so I really dont know many ppl. But I love it here. E. Texas is AWESOME almost as much as W. Texas, when I grew up in a small dot, Paintrock. To let you know how small it was, the firestation has one truck, but no personel. The keys are just left in the ignition of the firetruck in case its use is needed. SMALL I'm telling you!!!

Strike3

Forum Crew Member
I know a lot of people do this, but here's what I think. Don't go to Medic school till you have at least 1 year of experience on a truck. Being an EMT, and passing the NREMT test doesn't make you a very good EMT. It means you passed the academic part. Working on a truck, in stressful situations, or in the street at 3am in the rain, is what makes it "experience".

There are a million medics that come out of class with no experience and struggle and struggle. Learning how EMS really works, and doing it as a basic, is what will make you a good medic.

Good luck.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well I will kinda be doing this. The problem is I am not old enough to get on a box until december. So until then I will be in the EMT-I program. Then in December I will get on the box, and I will have to wait til the NEXT october to get into that companies in house medic program. So I will get my experience, I will just be an Intermediate when I start. I understand your point, I just dont see the reason in wasting a full semester.