how to get experience

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Strike3@Jul 20 2005, 08:10 PM
I know a lot of people do this, but here's what I think. Don't go to Medic school till you have at least 1 year of experience on a truck. Being an EMT, and passing the NREMT test doesn't make you a very good EMT. It means you passed the academic part. Working on a truck, in stressful situations, or in the street at 3am in the rain, is what makes it "experience".

There are a million medics that come out of class with no experience and struggle and struggle. Learning how EMS really works, and doing it as a basic, is what will make you a good medic.

Good luck.
I agree.

Medic courses aside, in VT you can't become certified unless you have an EMS affiliation and are an active member. Also, you cannot take the Intermediate course until you have been a certified b for at least a year. Nothing against anyone, but I feel that experience most definitely outways the didactic training. As with anything, how can a person perform at an advanced level if you have not yet had the chance to become proficient at the basics. Our world of EMS and our patients lives depend on immediate decisions that can only come from experience. Many times, there is no time, to try and think about the next step.

When I teach, I always tell my students that they can sit in class and get straight A's (per say) but their first few calls will make the difference. I have seen too many students be all gung ho and do great during a course, but quickly decide that this business is not for them or find they loose confidence and/or cannot perform in the real situations.

Again, I am not trying to discourage anyone and I applaud enthusiasm. Just relaying my feelings after 16 plus years of service and observation.

All my best in whatever happens.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I have met a lot of medic here that dont practice under the paramedic level. They are licensed medics, and for the company you must be nationally registered so they just stay nremt-I's cause they dont want the responsibility.

I think once this semester is over, I will get on with a service, and then hold off with the medic school issue. I think I will just take a few semesters and get my basics out of the way for nursing schoo. ( I wanna be a flight nurse.... L O N G time passion)

thanks for the advice.