how to get experience

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I am an 18 yr old. nationally registered basic in Texas. I was wondering if yall could help me. I am trying to get a job... all the ambulance companies here require you to be 19 to work on the rig, and some even 21. And to work in the ER as a tech, everyone has declined me a job... their reason... "You have no experience." Experience... LoL well for my program i went through, all we had to have was 48 hours of clinicals on the rig, and 48 hours in the ER and 8 Hrs. in Labor and Delivery. I on the other had did almost 200 on the truck and almost 200 in the ER. That show great initiative if you ask me, and some great experience.

My question is how can I get experience if nobody will hire me??? I have tried contacting the VFD here in town, and they are never there, and they dont return my calls. They only average about 2 or 3 calls a week, so they are hard to catch, and I actually dont think they are look for volunteers right now.... What do I do??? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome,

I'm from PA, and not 100% sure how your area runs EMS. here, we have paid co's that do transport EMS - Holspital and Nursing Home interfacility. Most suburban and rural 911 squads are part paid / part volunteer, or all volunteer.

I can't imagine a volunteer company that isn't ALWAYS in need of new members who want to learn. My

As for finding the Volunteers---- you could take the whacker approach - listen to the scanner or for the house siren when they get a call, and go down to the station to wait for them to come back :D ;) :lol: :rolleyes:

Is EMS 100% paid? See if there is a squad nearby (a few towns away) that lets people volunteer on the squad. You might have to stay at the sqaud overnight, or run during the day from the station, but it would be a place to get you feet wet.

Also.... see about getting a job in an "allied" profession.... like as a Security officer where the duties include first-aid response.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Everyone has to start somewhere, you need to put a lot of effort into getting started. If you are willing to accept being turned away, you are not going to make it. With out hands on learning, you lose knowledge. Maybe a Fire Dept. isn't the best place to start, you don't want to squirt water, you want an Ambulance Service. There has to be a volunteer service that will take you on as a member, every state, except Hawaii has Volunteer Ambulance Services. That's how I started, and that is how many people get their start in EMS.

You need to call local hospitals, small hospitals, and ask to volunteer time to assist them in the ER. Just as an observer; maybe take BP's, etc. If you let go now, you may not be able to catch on later.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I live in East Texas. In Dallas, there are alot of transport companies, that would probably hire me, but trying to work in Dallas and go to school in Tyler would be impossible. (I live about 60 miles away from both). There is only one Volunteer EMS co that I know of in this area, and it is almost 2 hours away, and they told me flat out "NO" because I live too far. I have tried listening to scanner to hear calls foor the vol. fire dept here in my town, but like I said, they run an average of 2 calls a week, and I have yet to hear them be dispatched. I have also tried to get a job in the hospital as a transporter, or ANYTHING, and they are very weary about working with my school schedule and clinicals (starting medic program in fall) I just dont know where to go from here. I just assumed that as soon as I passed my NREMT exam, I could easily get some kind of job, but that has not proved to be the case. I really need a job though cause I drive to Tyler at least 4 days a week for school and gas is horrible as you know. I want to get in the med. field though.. 1st cause I am qualified... :D and 2nd cause they show the best chance of working with my clinicals and school. I just feel like I am at a dead end.....

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Here in E. Texas. the vol fire depts also go to medical calls cause it is so rural. On the EMS side, there are 2 companies that serve this part of texas, that is it. Not many opportunites, however, I do have connections with one of the companies.. and they have offered me a job as soon as I am of age (19) but that wont be until the fall semester is over :(

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You can always try and find out when the next fire department business/training meeting is and just show up. If you can't do that, you can always contact your local communication center via the non-emergency number and see if they can contact the fire chief and give him a message to call you.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I think I may just camp out at the fire station and wait... :rolleyes:
Im not picky, I just want to do something to get experience, and said before... im affraid that if I dont get into something.. by knowledge will slowly disappear... Besides to keep my state license, I have to get an ems job within the next 2 yrs.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Find out who is in charge... Look up their phone numbers. Call them at home.

The squeeky wheel gets oil first.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Actually I am ahead of you. Number is unlisted.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I live in a town with a population of 300 people. Maybe I can just go door to do.. and say "Are you the fire chief?" :lol: ;) :eek: :huh: :p :D :ph34r:

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I though about just listening on the scanner and just showing up to calls when I hear them (fire, ems.. anything..) :D That would look great on a resume....

EXPERIENCE: stalked public service for 2 yrs... claiming to be a volunteer

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:D :D :D Welcome :D :D :D

As far as your dilema goes, it's not impossible. You'll have to sacrafice your time, but if you're diligent and really sell yourself, someone will take pity and help you. Have you tried a doctors office, or a walk in clinic? Sometimes the doctors who have thier own practices will be willing to allow you to help them get vitals, or start exams. When I did my hospital time, the ER was very slow, so I asked if there was anything I could do. They sent me to thier walk in clinic set up and the doctor saw how motivated I was to learn, after a couple of patients he let me do the assessments and get all the info before he went in, then he did it and we talked about what we each found. That was the most rewarding time I spent during my clinicals.

Don't give up, Be nice and don't take no for an answer!

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
I have thought about a clinic or dr office... the only thing with that is I go to school durring business hrs m-f.. and the offices are closed on the weekends....

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
You could get a hearse and run around picking up patients, drive them around in circles, and drop them off near a hospital like Homer Simpson did. Or start your own ambulance service, illegally, like the fake fire chief in Arizona...

Or Not. But wouldn't that be fun?!?!?!

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
That would be awesome... and we could cause wrecks so that we could have patients.... even better... :unsure: :blink: But i need a partner in crime....

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
ONLY JOKING !!! :D

TJC

Forum Probie
If it's any consolation, I'm having the same problem. I live in a tiny rural community in Navarro Co. Texas. It seems most of the EMS around here is now run out of the FD and I can't make the requirements for fire academy (I'm a "little girl" even though I'm well over 19y/o). The few private and volunteer services that are within driving distance are overwhelmed with applications, a lot of them from fire fighters looking for something to do on their days off. They "don't have room" for a new EMT-B with no experience, even though I too put in many more than the required clinical hours. It's very frustrating. I've even tried applying in other places across the state knowing that I'd have to relocate my family and put off medic school for a while. Still no luck. All I can tell you is keep your chin up, keep trying, and pray hard for an open door. That's what I'm doing. :(