Female trainers?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have no personal knowledge of female EMS instructors (EMT-B or -P, I know one who does some fill-in on Emergency First Responder, and some with CPR and etc).
Anyone here a female instructor? Know one? Learned from one? Are they as rare as I think they are? Do they face special issues males don't at this time?

(If I wasn't a male nurse I'd be worried about looking sexist, but I'm not. It social, not sexist).;)

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

I know of 2 primary paramedic program instructors in Northern California. One for College of the Redwoods and another for College of the Siskiyous. Both excellent Paramedics and great educators.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
One of the main instructors in my medic course was a female Nurse/Paramedic instructor.

Hands down one of the best clinicians and instructors (regardless of topic) I have ever met.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
I know of 2 actually, both are very respected and have been in EMS for sometime. 1 is with a university near Oklahoma City and the other heads the Kiamichi Tech Center that has something like 9 satellite classrooms.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The EMT program I teach for has many female lab instructors and at least 6 female lecture (I/C) instructors, approaching 50%.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
The EMT program I work for has 4 female EMS instructors with at least 1 teaching in the paramedic program and 1 in a supervisory position. We also have MANY female lab assistants and they out number the males.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
At least one of the local colleges has a female nurse/medic as a rotational main instructor.

We have a female medic skills instructor. She's tough but a good teacher. I want to do my internship with her.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

adam nice quote to go with the reply!;)

When I was a second year nursing student, I found out one of my nursing instructors was former army nurse in Vietnam. Informal talks with her instructed me in training my med techs in my first Air Guard unit.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Me. I don't find that there are any issues beyond the standard females in EMS issues, and I am well past those bothering me.

I taught a year in a paramedic program, a year in an EMT program, and now just teach continuing Ed and merit badge classes.

What were you getting at, exactly?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Nowhere, exactly. I just was sitting here and it dawned on me. I see MANY private company ambulances with one or two females in the cab or hauling a litter, but I did not remember seeing any when I was taking courses during the Silurian Period or so.
silurian_1.jpg

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I know 2 female instructors, both are program directors.

Never saw any issues. (Of course their position to choose who is hired and fire people at will probably precludes many that would arise.)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
my schools medical director would teach at least 1 course a year. She was also one of the head ER docs.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Until they find a cure for cooties women do not belong in medicine :unsure:

Anjel

Forum Angel
One of the main programs her has a female director.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Until they find a cure for cooties women do not belong in medicine :unsure:

Haven't had any problem with any females excepting that some are borderline too short to work on an ambo, as they are unable to lift the stretcher into the truck. Its fine if they have a taller partner.

patput

Forum Crew Member
The course director and primary teacher for my basic class is a female. She does an awesome job! The majority of our lab instructors are female as well.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Moved to the Education section and removed off topic posts.

OrlandoRMAMedic

Forum Crew Member
Haven't had any problem with any females excepting that some are borderline too short to work on an ambo, as they are unable to lift the stretcher into the truck. Its fine if they have a taller partner.

When I first started with the company I am currently with (10yr anniversary coming up) I, a 5'6" tall female, was precepted by 2 of the best women. One was 5' and the other was 5'2". Neither one of them had an issue with loading the stretcher. But, that was before we got these monstrosities that are higher in the back than the front with no air dump. I have to hook the stretcher onto my belt to be able to get the darn thing in there. Sometimes I have to have my partner move the truck so that it is on an incline of sorts to load it. Poor truck design. Oh well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have 4 instructors for the paramedic program that are female.

We have alot of female skills instructors for the EMT classes but non are actual instructors.

Commonsavage

Forum Crew Member
I have no personal knowledge of female EMS instructors (EMT-B or -P, I know one who does some fill-in on Emergency First Responder, and some with CPR and etc).
Anyone here a female instructor? Know one? Learned from one? Are they as rare as I think they are? Do they face special issues males don't at this time?

(If I wasn't a male nurse I'd be worried about looking sexist, but I'm not. It social, not sexist).;)

New Mexico, in general, and Central NM Comm. College, in particular, has significant numbers of women EMTs, Paramedics, and Instructors at all levels.