Fellow Floridians!

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Glad to see fellow Floridians on here.

Just started the class in West Palm Beach and really enjoying it. One of the best things I've started in my life. Can't wait to learn more and hopefully graduate.

Enjoy dude!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
So, quick questions for Florida medics.

1. As a fairly new medic with no fire qualifications, where should I be looking to apply in the Orlando area? I would obviously prefer a 911 provider that pays well, but I'm not too picky.

2. How far is reasonable to commute from the Orlando area? I don't mind driving an hour each way for a 24 hour shift, but I'm not all that familiar with florida geography and traffic.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

1. As a fairly new medic with no fire qualifications, where should I be looking to apply in the Orlando area? I would obviously prefer a 911 provider that pays well, but I'm not too picky.

2. How far is reasonable to commute from the Orlando area? I don't mind driving an hour each way for a 24 hour shift, but I'm not all that familiar with florida geography and traffic.

I have a better answer for you once I get home. As far as driving, that depends on how much you're willing to drive and for how much money, ect.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a better answer for you once I get home. As far as driving, that depends on how much you're willing to drive and for how much money, ect.

I would definitely drive an hour both ways, maybe even two if the position was lucrative enough (and it was a 24hr shift)

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

What I'm doing as far as applying for jobs, I looked up a map of the counties in Florida, decided how far I'm willing to drive, and where i'm willing to move. I visit those counties individual websites, find out how their system works, and I apply if I can, if not I add it to the list of places to keep checking back. You've gotta do the research and figure it out. Most importantly be very patient as it may take a while. In the mean time, check your local private companies.

Good place to start http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=paramedic&l=Florida&start=70

Last edited by a moderator:

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
What I'm doing as far as applying for jobs, I looked up a map of the counties in Florida, decided how far I'm willing to drive, and where i'm willing to move. I visit those counties individual websites, find out how their system works, and I apply if I can, if not I add it to the list of places to keep checking back. You've gotta do the research and figure it out. Most importantly be very patient as it may take a while. In the mean time, check your local private companies.

Good place to start http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=paramedic&l=Florida&start=70

Thanks. That is what I've been doing. I've got a few ideas so far.

arcai

Forum Ride Along
Coming to you from Jacksonville.

Currently in paramedic classes and looking for a job with a private ambulance service here.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Coming to you from Jacksonville.

Currently in paramedic classes and looking for a job with a private ambulance service here.

Welcome to the board dude!

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I wanna start working already! Dude.. Three month vacation is getting old already + I have no dinero :rolleyes:

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Tell me something good guys

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Waiting for the new job opportunity?

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Nice! How do you think you did?

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Got my first day already on Saturday. 5 calls and nearly 14 hour shift. What is your experience with the toughbooks?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Got my first day already on Saturday. 5 calls and nearly 14 hour shift. What is your experience with the toughbooks?

We still use paper pcr's, 5 calls is a good shift. Enjoy it while you can get it.

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Paper pcrs are the back up

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Dude Kendall Regional was popping this Saturday. Trauma hawks within 3 hours of being posted there abd running 2 calls.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Dude Kendall Regional was popping this Saturday. Trauma hawks within 3 hours of being posted there abd running 2 calls.

Always. We're usually the primary for them. They always give us hip fx discharges to rehabs, we usually do their lbs patients also.

I'm up in aventura/hollywood today. Hate it up here, dunno where I'm going, gotta rely on my gps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raft Medic

Forum Ride Along
Took EMT out of state, FL license looks like a big HEADACHE

Hello, I'm a new EMT and just moved back home to DeLand. I'm trying to get licensed in Florida. I took the Wilderness EMT this summer in Colorado and I've got my NREMT, but no state license. I've been surfing the florida doh site all day and I'm thouroughly confused. If you took the class in another state, they expect you to be licensed in another state, and even if I get past that, I apparently have to take the NREMT exam again (which I literally just took). Anyone have any experience in this matter?

Also any advice on the job search, for a new EMT_B? I have no ambulance experience, but I was a nurse tech in an ER for a year.