EMT-B to EMT-P... A Bad Idea?

Cory

Forum Captain
So, I have been reading a lot about getting hired as an EMT, and I know that areas around me have either stopped hring or are making their requirements impossibly high for the majority of people.

Now, yes, I am still far away from even an EMT-B course, but I was just wondering (because as far as I know, I do have the intention to get EMT-P certified some day) Is it a bad idea to go straight from EMT-B class into a medic class? Is it discouraged to go into a medic class without time on a job? For some reason, I get the notion that most people get EMT-B, work as an EMT for a year or two, THEN go to Paramedic class. But in times where EMT jobs are far and few between (I know of a department where I have been told numerous times that I could be hired at when I'm 18 or older, but things could change in 3 or 4 years time) it seems like getting a medic cert. would be better before trying to get hired at an over-staffed department.

Anyway, my basic question: Is it a bad idea to go straight from EMT-B into EMT-P without job experience, if it could potentially make you more likely to get hired?

Just questions, not really trying to relate them to me yet, just trying to get an idea here.

-Cory-

EMTguy69

Forum Probie
I don't know what the requirements are in Ohio for getting into Paramedic School, but here in California you must have 6 months to 1 year experience before you can even apply for Paramedic training. Good luck to you.

terrible one

Always wandering
can of worms on this site.
I personally believe you need a minimum of 1 year experience riding with an ALS unit before applying. Medic school (IMO is also wayyyyyyy too short, and needs to be atleast 2 years with 6months-1 year in the field as an intern)

A lot of others on here don't agree. I'd talk to the people who run the school and see what they suggest

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know what the requirements are in Ohio for getting into Paramedic School, but here in California you must have 6 months to 1 year experience before you can even apply for Paramedic training. Good luck to you.

Actually there are many schools in California where you don't need any experience.

But anyways I think you should definitely have plenty of EMT B field time on ALS before going for EMT P. So many go straight for Medic with no experience and as result have no clue what to do when they actually get into the field.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So, remind me, why don't RNs have to be CNAs or LVNs first? Why don't MD/DOs have to be PAs first? Why don't PhDs have to get a masters degree first? Why don't DMDs have to be dental hygenists first?

Sasha

Forum Chief
So, remind me, why don't RNs have to be CNAs or LVNs first? Why don't MD/DOs have to be PAs first? Why don't PhDs have to get a masters degree first? Why don't DMDs have to be dental hygenists first?

Because they realize that this "street experience" is just something that makes those who waited feel superior to those who didn't, and that it has no real say in if you will be a good or bad provider.

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
Much better medics are produced if they have been an EMT for a while. This doesn't mean a fresh medic with no experience cannot be a good provider, just might take some time.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Simple... those professions train the student those skills as part of the program. Paramedic... doesn't. If a Paramedic program could incorporate EMT-B stuff into their curriculum and ensure good BLS competency along the way, I'd be OK with that. I've talked to more than a few Paramedic Preceptors who absolutely do NOT want to have to teach their students how to do BLS... they should already know.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Much better medics are produced if they have been an EMT for a while. This doesn't mean a fresh medic with no experience cannot be a good provider, just might take some time.

I disagree. That is your opinion. My opinion is that those who spent time "in the streets" are usually the ones who have a hard time losing bad habits they picked up from their "street time".

I like working with medics who didn't spend a lot of time getting "Experience" taking blood pressures and driving trucks prior to medic school. In my experience they are generally more into their job, and aren't looking to cut corners as quickly as "Street" medics.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Simple... those professions train the student those skills as part of the program. Paramedic... doesn't. If a Paramedic program could incorporate EMT-B stuff into their curriculum and ensure good BLS competency along the way, I'd be OK with that. I've talked to more than a few Paramedic Preceptors who absolutely do NOT want to have to teach their students how to do BLS... they should already know.

That is what EMT school is for. If you take a year to master blood pressures and pulse taking... you really should rethink the career choice.

JPINFV

Gadfly

So basically those schools suck and those instructors are lazy. There's no two ways around it then. It'd be like a physician complaining that they have to teach medical students how to take a blood pressure.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
If you were an employer, would you be more inclined to hire a paramedic that was an EMT for a year before getting medic certified, or would you just as quickly hire someone who has a paramedic cert. but hasn't had any job experience?

I guess I can answer that question easily, but I still think the discussion against such reasoning is convincing...I guess I'm a little indifferent seeing as I have no REAL room to talk.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
bad habits they picked up from their "street time".

I'm trying to think of a bad habit I picked up over the past years and cant really think of any.... Im sure there have been some but nothing dramatic. I agree, experience counts before Paramedic. I would hate to think of devouring all of this knowledge and skills without any experience or exposure to it. Just makes the process easier.

And as I have said before... very, very evident who has experience in class and who doesnt.

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you were an employer, would you be more inclined to hire a paramedic that was an EMT for a year before getting medic certified, or would you just as quickly hire someone who has a paramedic cert. but hasn't had any job experience?

I guess I can answer that question easily, but I still think the discussion against such reasoning is convincing...I guess I'm a little indifferent seeing as I have no REAL room to talk.

I would hire the one without job experience. Easier to mold them the way I want them to work as an employer.

I have been getting "EMT Experience" while I was in medic school. I was in medic school prior to getting an EMT cert. I don't feel like I am any worse off then those who got street experience before medic, and I feel that I am a better EMT than the EMTs who have been EMTs for years and are not in medic school, because while they have been an EMT longer than I have, I have furthered my education farther than they have.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here in NM time spent on the street as a basic doesn't matter. I've said it before, my medic class' top student was someone who has never worked a day in the field. He started medic right after he got his basic license.

I see no point in requiring street time or time spent in a lower licensure

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm trying to think of a bad habit I picked up over the past years and cant really think of any.... Im sure there have been some but nothing dramatic. I agree, experience counts before Paramedic. I would hate to think of devouring all of this knowledge and skills without any experience or exposure to it. Just makes the process easier.

And as I have said before... very, very evident who has experience in class and who doesnt.

Without any exposure? Does your school not require clinical and ride times?

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
Anyone can be top in their class, that isn't always the best indicator of how well they will perform in the field.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Anyone can be top in their class, that isn't always the best indicator of how well they will perform in the field.

Best performer in internships. Beat out our 'seasoned' field veterans in every evaluation.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The exposure and experience I am speaking of is different than the "learning" mode and what is achieved as a student. As a student with no experience, when your on the Paramedic Unit for the first time, your in a whole 'nother world that you never visited before.

As an EMT with experience, you know what its like to apply cricoid pressure to assist with an intubation, to work a code, insert airways, see the intubations and other advanced modalities, see how they affect patients, get feedback from Paramedics on the call, learn how to operate the monitor and do so on a frequent basis, apply 12-leads, take hundreds of hours of continuing education over the years, run several hundred calls or so a year as a 911 provider, be the lead provider, hone your patient assessment skills, learn lung sounds, learn how to manage an incident scene, learn how to operate within an EMS system... the list goes on and on.

While the above seems like minor things.... it is an accumulative effect that better prepares one for more advanced learning. Im not saying in the absence of.... one cannot succeed, Im just saying it makes it easier.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, driving a van with pretty lights, pushing a gurney, and hooking up a monitor does not prepare you to learn anatomy and physiology, pathology, and the field diagnosis and management of emergencies. College level education and a proper paramedic program do. Field experience as an EMT is certainly not needed or even desirable in the making of a good paramedic.

I say restrict the EMT to first response and non transport so we do away with this debate altogether. The only BLS education you need before a Paramedic program is a AHA BLS for the healthcare provider class.

Preparatory requirements for paramedic school in Daedalus's utopia:
Proved competency in math and algebra; or college math course completion
Proved competency in college level reading and writing; or English 1
Medical Terminology (college level course)
Biology
Chemistry
Human Gross Anatomy
Human Physiology
Microbiology
CPR for the Health Care Professional