EMT-B to EMT-P... A Bad Idea?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Why should we cater to firefighters? Keep EMT-B just to make them able to justify getting so much money? For EMS to grow and actually become a profession and a career that is respected by other divisons of medicine (of which we are closer to rather than public safety) we need to expand our education levels and raise the bar to get into EMS
Firefighter and Police Officer positions often do NOT require a degree of any sort, just a HS Diploma (or equivalent). You want to become either? Just attend an academy... The agencies that might hire you might require a degree (associates or higher) but that's on them... That's Public Safety.
I completely agree. Just the other day I was talking to college student who was getting ready to take an RN course in a few months (knew him from high school), and he basically tried to tell me that EMS just wrap you up and drive you to the real heroes. then he went on to say that EMS looses way too many people to even be credible. Of course, none of this is true, but it does reflect a fresh view on EMS.

But the EMT-B course has been overrun by all sorts of small-time non EMS professions.

What is the deal with EMT - I? Do you even have to take a class for that? Maybe something can be done there, harder curriculum, required to work in EMS maybe? Just ideas...
Adding in a bunch of classes that are actually clinically relevant, takes the entry level knowledge base to that of what is required by other health professions. The problem is that EMS follows the Academy-like entry into the profession like Public Safety, but "wants" to be recognized as a Medical Profession. Take Nursing as an example: a CNA needs but one class... They're a dime a dozen. LVN/LPN programs typically last one year and have much higher base knowledge than a CNA does. RN programs typically have similar prerequisites but about 2 years of didactic & clinical time...

Where did EMS "go wrong" with this? Well, you take the "academy approach" and pretty much everyone doing their own thing... unlike the other public safety professions... AND Nursing... where they pushed as a group for recognition and higher status...

Well, that's where we are.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
With accreditation will also come screening. Part of the accreditation process is to be able ensure a certain percentage of the students enrolling will finish the whole course. That a percentage of those students that do pass the program will pass the board the first time.

Alike other professions to ensure quality students that apply. As we are now seeing more and more enter the EMS profession (our enrollment for my school EMS programs is up >30% this semester) due to the instability economy. We must also be very aware that at least 70% must pass the courses and of those at least 70% must pass the boards the first time.

So yes, we will see more and more prerequisites, interview, testing and selection process coming into EMS programs. Soon will be gone the days of many institutions philosophy of ....."you got the money, we got the time"...... Hopefully, states will soon not honor graduates of non-credentialed programs or states without certain requirements.

squrt29batt12

Forum Crew Member
In my opinion, it is best to jump right into Paramedic school right after you finish EMT. Basically the first semester of medics is a review of EMT skills anyway. And remember, you might think getting "work experience" is good, it all depends where you work before medic school, remember....if you don't use it, you lose it.B)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
With accreditation will also come screening. Part of the accreditation process is to be able ensure a certain percentage of the students enrolling will finish the whole course. That a percentage of those students that do pass the program will pass the board the first time.

Alike other professions to ensure quality students that apply. As we are now seeing more and more enter the EMS profession (our enrollment for my school EMS programs is up >30% this semester) due to the instability economy. We must also be very aware that at least 70% must pass the courses and of those at least 70% must pass the boards the first time.

So yes, we will see more and more prerequisites, interview, testing and selection process coming into EMS programs. Soon will be gone the days of many institutions philosophy of ....."you got the money, we got the time"...... Hopefully, states will soon not honor graduates of non-credentialed programs or states without certain requirements.

NM already has the policy that if you graduate from a non-accredited school and pass the NR test, you then have to take another written (maybe practical I'm not sure) exam to be certified to work in NM as a medic.

My school is the only one exempted because we are for all intents and purposes accredited, just waiting for one last bit of paperwork to be processed by the state (and we're still at something like 90% first time pass rate at NR)

JPINFV

Gadfly
why not work as an emt first then think about the rest later get good at your skills b4 adding to them.

Would you rather have a tire that is fully reinforced or only have half of it reinforced?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
why not work as an emt first then think about the rest later get good at your skills b4 adding to them.

Seriously, how long does it take to master splinting, CPR & oxygen administration? Those skills are not rocket science and in academia-education rating are considered very, very basic (hence the reason they are included in the basic portion).

It is well known in the educational system if one practices long enough, one should be able to master them without difficulty (unless they have a learning disability)

Let's stop placing the emphasis on basic skills as being as so difficult to master when most Boy Scouts has demonstrated that it can be achieved easily.

R/r 911

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

Forum Captain
Well, I think the only way I would consider working as an EMT is with the local department in my tiny little city, because they don't have any ALS medic units. And I have some family that works there. But in the city (where I want to work) I probably would hold off until I have a medic cert. That is my opinon.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
So, remind me, why don't RNs have to be CNAs or LVNs first? Why don't MD/DOs have to be PAs first? Why don't PhDs have to get a masters degree first? Why don't DMDs have to be dental hygenists first?

Because they have longer clinical/internship periods where they can acquire the skills to be good at their job.