Can you be fired if you can't make it in to work due to weather?

jkn5786

Forum Ride Along
Hi all, there's a big blizzard coming to New England. There's a strong chance I won't be able to get my car out of my apartment building's parking lot following the storm. I warned my boss about this 36hrs in advance of my shift but he basically just kept telling me that I have to come into work. This just may not be possible. Does anyone know if this is cause enough to be fired or has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
If you know that the parking lot will be inaccessible you should park it it an accessible location if you can. While you did a good thing letting your boss know of a possible difficulty getting to work, I would have waited until you couldn't actually make it to let him know. Your boss is probably figuring that you will use it as an excuse legitimate or not to get out of going to work. If it is written in your employee handbook that you are required to report to work during inclement weather you have to make a good faith effort to make it in. Letting your boss know 36hrs earlier of a possibility doesn't count. Most places are reasonable and won't fire you, but I'd definitely take all actions possible including leaving much earlier than normal to try and make it.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Where I work there is a point system in place and you are docked for missing a shift or coming in late. This last summer we had multiple feet of water flooding all the areas my company operates in and employees were still expected to make it in to work (I commuted 2 hours personally), after a good faith effort and with at least 2 hours notice you won't be considered abandoning your shift(a fire-able offense) but still required clearance to return to shift. But consider that often the public needs first responders in times like this.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
in public safety, you need to go to work; someone has to staff the truck. if you don't show up, then what? the other shift gets held over.

plan extra time in getting to work. if that means sleeping at work the night before, so be it.

you probably won't be fired for it, but it is very reasonable for you to be disciplined for it. After all, everyone else made it to work so why couldn't you?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Where I work, you can't be fired........

In situations like that, we have mandatory holdovers in place in case it's physically impossible or extremely unsafe to make it in. That's only happened once in the 5+ years I've been here, though. It's going to be highly dependent on where you work, though. I don't know of anything legally that prevents them from firing you (not that there isn't something, I've just never heard of it)

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
If you know that the parking lot will be inaccessible you should park it it an accessible location if you can.

So, that was ethical.

...I would have waited until you couldn't actually make it to let him know.

And that not so much. Interesting change in tone.

Anyway, as mentioned, these are times that first responders are needed. I suppose it depends on your job, you never did clarify where you worked or if you do any 911.

The hospital I am at has a system setup where they have staff who volunteer to act as a taxi driver to transport essential personnel to and from the facility. Get paid their normal wage too. Maybe there is an organization in the area that does something similar for first responders?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Plan ahead so you don't have to worry about it. Have back up plans.

Park in a different location, stay at someone else's place, sleep at work (if allowed). If you don't make it to work but everyone else does make it, it's not going to be in your favor.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Where I work there is a point system in place and you are docked for missing a shift or coming in late. This last summer we had multiple feet of water flooding all the areas my company operates in and employees were still expected to make it in to work (I commuted 2 hours personally), after a good faith effort and with at least 2 hours notice you won't be considered abandoning your shift(a fire-able offense) but still required clearance to return to shift. But consider that often the public needs first responders in times like this.

I remember that storm. Was a bad one.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The department should actually plan ahead, not individuals.

My pervious employer had plans in place to shelter and feed staff, transport personnel from place to place, and in extreme severe wether, alternative deployment models. For example, in blizzard conditions, single medics would be assigned to fire stations to respond on apparatus, rather than the squads.

Frequent conference calls prior to weather emergencies alleviated any questions about staffing or transportation.

And failing to show up for an assigned shift was, at minimum, a written discipline. Which could affect promotions and yearly raises.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
plan extra time in getting to work. if that means sleeping at work the night before, so be it.

^ THIS. The storm is very similar to a hurricane. You're getting 3+ days notice that this was going to happen. You should be able to make plans.

The department should actually plan ahead, not individuals.

My pervious employer had plans in place to shelter and feed staff, transport personnel from place to place, and in extreme severe wether, alternative deployment models. For example, in blizzard conditions, single medics would be assigned to fire stations to respond on apparatus, rather than the squads.

Frequent conference calls prior to weather emergencies alleviated any questions about staffing or transportation.

Great points @DEmedic, but I think the employee should have some responsibility as well. (in my opinion)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Living somewhere that experiences, well used to experience (don't get me started on our lack of snow!), inclement weather rather frequently changes my opinion however weather has never been a reason to miss work. Like others have said these are often the times where a system is stressed due to higher than average call volume and they need everyone scheduled plus more. Plan ahead, organize things with coworkers who have vehicles capable of traveling in the forecasted weather. Whatever it may be.

Unfortunately the nature of our job doesn't allow us to close up shop for the day due to bad weather.

I agree that the agency should have a contingency plan in place but I also agree that the employee also bears some responsibility.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Agreed, but holding the employee wholly responsible seems unreasonable. Although I Also believe that a responsible adult should make plans to assure that they're going to be able to fulfill the duties of the job.

My employer required I sign an agreement that stated I may be required to work hours outside of the norm, travel in inclement weather and be subject to recall. Not that it's worth a hill of beans legally, but you can't plead ignorance to it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Our supervisor truck is 4x4 so in worst case scenario they are able of picking employees up.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have some partners who normally commute to work via public transit others who travel hundreds of miles to work each shift. Neither of these is particularly practical now, so the employees are camping out in stations. They have planned appropriately, and the service has made accomodations for them.
In some areas, off-duty staff have volunteered to help set up shelters, then slept there before shifts (with some equipment), so if there is a medical, we don't need to send a truck, and the employees have somewhere to sleep before a shift.

Anjel

Forum Angel
If we have that much notice we are expected to be there. The stations are always open for us to come and sleep there before our shift starts.

You need to make every effort possible. Not just oh I can't get out of my parking lot, I'm not coming.

dank

Forum Probie
36 hours is an ridiclous amount of time to call and tell your employer and let them know you will not be coming into work because of weather. You are an adult in a life or death job and you need to start acting like and adult.

Mtnmedic

Forum Probie
If a private employer, likely it's an at-will employment situation. Meaning - they can fire you for no particular reason (so long as it's no discriminatory in nature) and you can quit at any time for no particular reason. Though most businesses follow a set of procedures to ensure they don't run into any problems and can defend themselves. Government employment of any kind may be a little different.