Which Litman Stethoscope are you using??

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a littmann select and it does the job great. I can only compare it to the cheapy single lumens, not any cardiology scopes. As far as the cardiology scopes go, would y'all say that they are overkill and not necessary for a basic? I imagine they would be, and am happy with what I can hear with the single lumen.

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
I use a Master Cardiology. Overkill for a Basic sure. However, I can hear BPs reliably most of the time, same with lung sounds and such. In some cases I can hear much more accurately than those without quality scopes, sometimes to the tune of a 20-30Sys difference. I like it. =D Was well worth it.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a littmann select and it does the job great. I can only compare it to the cheapy single lumens, not any cardiology scopes. As far as the cardiology scopes go, would y'all say that they are overkill and not necessary for a basic? I imagine they would be, and am happy with what I can hear with the single lumen.

Not overkill unless the EMT-B using it lets their knowledge level be defined by the limits of a title.

bigmoosewi

Forum Probie
On the suggestion from my instructor, who is a relic in the EMS field, (i actually believe he started out when there was a horse drawn wagon) when he was in charge of ordering supplies for the ambulance service he worked on it was suggested to him to get ADC brand. Same quality as Littman but half the price because it doesn't have the name on it. I purchased the ADC Adscope 600 Platinum Cardiology. It is a single sided (my instructor said in all his years as an EMT-P he never turned his double sided around) that received rave reviews from users who switched from the Littman Cardiology III. It has the same warranty as a Littman but as i said it has a price tag of $100 instead of $200. Something to look into unless you MUST have that Littman name. Keep in mind, having the name around your neck doesn't make you any smarter. ;-)

18G

Paramedic
I have a Cardiology III. For the price I paid... around 160... I have never been all that impressed. It works okay but it wasn't the dramatic difference that I was expecting compared to the ones carried on the ambulance. And its double-sided. I don't like double-sides stethoscopes. I carry mine in my pocket and the head always ends up getting turned so every time I use it I have to check to make sure the head is the right way. Many people think that the double-sides (diaphragm/bell) are for adults and pediatrics... not true. The big side isnt for adults and little side for kids. Each side is for hearing different frequency sounds.

I am looking into getting the Master Classic II.... a single sided scope for about 100.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Many people think that the double-sides (diaphragm/bell) are for adults and pediatrics... not true. The big side isnt for adults and little side for kids. Each side is for hearing different frequency sounds.

I am looking into getting the Master Classic II.... a single sided scope for about 100.

Exactly. Ever notice that a real peds scope still has 2 heads? The bell transmits low frequency sounds; the diaphragm transmits higher frequency sounds. People still flip the bell over since we don't have peds scopes, but I'll stick with my single-sided Master Classic II (which I paid less than $100 for brand new, from amazon). I think at that price and all it compares pretty favorably to the ADC 600.

Fox800

Forum Captain
I have a Cardiology III which I like. Unfortunately the rings around the rims wear out pretty easily. Mine is black, I've had it for about 3 years and it's looking pretty dingy. I clean it with alcohol swabs fairly routinely. I recently bought a $40 Ultrascope and have been decently satisfied with it, time will tell which one I use in the future.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a Cardiology III which I like. Unfortunately the rings around the rims wear out pretty easily. Mine is black, I've had it for about 3 years and it's looking pretty dingy. I clean it with alcohol swabs fairly routinely. I recently bought a $40 Ultrascope and have been decently satisfied with it, time will tell which one I use in the future.

I have a Cardiology III as well, but once I got my Ultrascope a few years ago I havent touched it. I love the thing :) Hope you enjoy yours too

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I have used the same Cardiology II for 11 years now. Still works like a champ, wouldn't change it for the world.

Fox800

Forum Captain
I have a Cardiology III as well, but once I got my Ultrascope a few years ago I havent touched it. I love the thing :) Hope you enjoy yours too

I got the cheapy Maxiscope model, which as far as I know is exactly the same minus the cool designs. Mine is solid royal blue, but no one else at my service (~300 field providers) has one, so it's easy to keep track of.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
It has been my experience that proper use of the stethoscope and auscultation are some of the least emphasized skills in EMT and Paramedic school. I'd love to see programs that emphasize more ways to use your stethoscope than just listening to breath sounds.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What Littman stethescope an I using these days? An ADC 602.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Litman Lightweight, inexspensive, durable and good quality.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I just upgraded to a Classic II. Before I had a ADC 609. If you are looking for a good $20 scope, the 609 is the way to go.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That is really the only difference. Mine is a blue/black pattern with my name and the SOL engraved in white. Four members of our fifteen members (not counting me) have one of them. The only thing I might do differently later is order one that comes with a pedi head in addition to the standard head.
I got the cheapy Maxiscope model, which as far as I know is exactly the same minus the cool designs. Mine is solid royal blue, but no one else at my service (~300 field providers) has one, so it's easy to keep track of.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
It just came!
165597_1432882316893_1677970081_812110_7037996_n.jpg

Program is 100% legit.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Another fan of the cardiology III here

8jimi8

CFRN
It just came!
165597_1432882316893_1677970081_812110_7037996_n.jpg

Program is 100% legit.

Now that our 3100 connection is complete, we can not only high five people out of vfib from across state lines, we can also reanimate the dead!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that our 3100 connection is complete, we can not only high five people out of vfib from across state lines, we can also reanimate the dead!

Oh crap... that is correct! Hell yeah, then I can be like Walker Texas Ranger... I will no longer have to high five them out of cardiac arrest, rather I can just touch them on the shoulder and they will magically spring back to life!

I accidentally posted that pic in the wrong thread, it was meant for the Littmann trial thread.. I was wondering where I posted it when I looked through the Littmann evaluation thread and didn't find it.. lol. :)

Madmedic780

Forum Crew Member
I use a Classic 2 S.E. I like it.