Which Litman Stethoscope are you using??

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
Going to purchase a new stethoscope, any suggestions from EMT-p or EMT-b's?

Leaning toward the Cardiology III because of the easier access to pediatric uses. I have heard the Master Cardiology is awesome but some cons regarding only having a One sided bell.

Vince

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I use the Cardiology III and LOVE it. That's the only stethoscope I've used aside from the cheapy $30 littmans, though.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have the Littmann Select. It's now under $50 online, and it does a great job. I've had it since I started EMT back in 2008.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly? Don't buy one...

Use the crappy one that are on the trucks for a while. Once you've mastered that, then move up. If you start of with a top of the line, high-speed stethoscope, and you lose/break it, you'll probably have difficulty adjusting to the crappy models.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I have the master classic, and love it. I can't hear on anything else. The only issue I have run into was a 7 month old patient. The bell took up his whole chest and it was difficult to get 4 separate listening zones when doing lung sounds. But it picked up a massive murmer that was heard EVERYWHERE I auscultated LOL. Mom was all "yeah, he has a hole in his heart".

Piper76

Forum Probie
I got a virtually unused Littman Cardiology II off of Craigslist from a retired nurse for $25 and love it.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
I have the Master Classic II. I loves it. So far I haven't run into any peds issues with it, and in general I like the low-profile of the bell.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Master Classic II, but I have a 3200 digital bluetooth model on its way for a 14 day evaluation. If I like it, I am going to go ahead and purchase it. :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've used pretty much everything from the crappy $10 stuff to the nicer $100+ stuff. I like the Littman Lite, the Classic IISE, the Master Classic, and the Cardiology III. However, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable going back to the crappy $10 steths... because I know what I'm listening for. Kind of like going from a VW Rabbit to a Benz. Both will get you there, but one provides a nicer ride...

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Master Classic II, but I have a 3200 digital bluetooth model on its way for a 14 day evaluation. If I like it, I am going to go ahead and purchase it. :)

Could you post a review on it once your 14 day trial is up?

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I have and use the 3100. I have had it for about a year now and absolutely LOVE it. I have had doctors and medics use it and try to walk off with it:p
I have tried the Cardiology III but with my hearing loss, they don't compare. I can hear lung and heart sounds very well even in the back of the rig. It is overkill for most people but if you have a hearing issue, it is the cat's meow.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
lightweight II se, i love it. short tube doesn't get in the way. light head i don't even know is there. and the acoustics are good enough for field work...

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Could you post a review on it once your 14 day trial is up?

Absolutely, If you guys want, I will also post some lung sounds and heart tones I get from various patients for you to use to study or teach with. I will also do little things like compare the heart rate on the steth to one that is manually taken. If this goes well, I will probably end up purchasing this steth for teaching purposes. This steth will come in handy for educators like myself because we can hook our laptops to the classroom speakers and actually listen to lungs live sharing with the class.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Going to purchase a new stethoscope, any suggestions from EMT-p or EMT-b's?

Leaning toward the Cardiology III because of the easier access to pediatric uses. I have heard the Master Cardiology is awesome but some cons regarding only having a One sided bell.

Vince

I personally use a Classic II SE and I find it to be a nice balance between performance and cost. It can be had for about 60-70 dollars (online) and tends to perform very well. Although it is not a Cardiology III - I am also not a cardiologist. Having said that, I find it (the Classic II) more than adequate for EMS work.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a navy blue Littman Master Classic II i paid around $135 for, but I left it at nursing home never to be seen again.

I have since replaced it with a Littman black classic II SE, good but not as good as the master

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Master Classic II. It stays in my pocket unless being actively used by me to avoid the possibility of it escaping.