What made you decide to work in EMS?

lissa304

Forum Probie
Just bored and curious! What made yall decide to work in EMS?

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to Nursing School. Once I became an EMT I thouht being a Paramedic would be pretty cool. Now I'm in Nursing school. What can you do.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Money, hot babes, respect, and more money.

In reality I wanted to go fire. For my area you have to be at least an EMT to get hired at a fire department. Took the class and liked it. Got hired at an ambulance company. Going to medic school right now possibly followed by fire academy or some kind of police academy.

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Planning on eventually attending medical school and becoming a doctor, and I felt EMS was a great way to develop my patient assessment and interaction skills. Especially in 9-1-1, EMS providers face the challenge of doing the best for patients with unique presentations in unpredictable situations.

cprted

Forum Captain
This guy :cool:

fomoco-rescue-911.jpg

Angel

Paramedic
lol, ive never seen any of those shows :ph34r:

for me it was something to get me started to PA school (i changed my mind several times)
EMTs couldnt DO a lot and when i finally got an EMT job it was IFT and we REALLY didnt do anything so the next logical step was Medic, was dead set against fire until my internship. Now I'm going the fire route but will likely pick up tons of medic shifts because I love it.

PA is on the back burner for now, if not forever. Nursing is always a possibility too...last last resort though

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nursing school was full...

Actually, I got suspended from my university for grades, and decided to take something that would be really easy and fun. so I took EMT-B. Liked it and decided I wanted to stay in it and try to help advance this vocation

Drax

Forum Captain
I always had admired firefighters and medicine.

When I found out they went hand in hand, there was no doubt about what I planning to do with the rest of my life.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Fourth generation firefighter. Kinda had to...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Fourth generation firefighter. Kinda had to...

What he really means is nowhere else would hire him.

I fractured my C2-3 spinal processes in high school along with a solid concussion and was transported by ambulance. That peaked my interest then I did an internship for high school my senior year and haven't looked back.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I wish I was a fourth generation firefighter! What a legacy!

Meh. Trying to get out of it. Aspirations to become a physician.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I have several family members that are paramedics, when I was 15 I decide to join a volunteer FD then I join the rescue rig and loved the ems/medical part. I got my basic then got my Advaned so that I could get on a 911 ambulance where I applied. My goal is to get my medic and hopefully do this for my whole career. Probably go to fire, but not sure I am still early in my career.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Did it as a volunteer EMT-B for a large city volunteer FD while I was working retail management.
After a couple of years I realized how much more I was enjoying EMS than retail, so I quit Retail and went to work FT IFT, and continued PT at fire dept.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
This guy:

when-you-find-out-the-cost-of-an-ambulance-ride-in-america.jpg

I knew I had to be a part of this..

Last edited by a moderator: