What made you decide to work in EMS?

Doc Logical

Forum Crew Member
IT being something. That I know I can be good at given the time.

Plus, it seems fun as :censored::censored::censored::censored: and crazy as hell.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm. Good luck if these are your motivators.

x2. If you are looking for what you mentioned you will have a rude awakening. Money is usually not enough to live off of alone unless you get on with a city or county system. Even then its barely anything. I saw you want to work for FDNY EMS, well according to their .gov site EMT-B's start off at 31k a year and 45k after 5 years. Medics start off at 43k and after 5 years hit 59k. I grew up in Boston, so NYC is pretty close in terms of cost of living, And those salary ranges are not much.

As for respect? You might get a thank you once in a while.

Crazy times? lol

Doc Logical

Forum Crew Member

Oh, no you misunderstand. I do it, because I like it interests me. I want do it for a long time.

I don't do for the money. I do it because it is something that I find enjoyable and I'll get paid to do it.

Doc Logical

Forum Crew Member
x2. If you are looking for what you mentioned you will have a rude awakening. Money is usually not enough to live off of alone unless you get on with a city or county system. Even then its barely anything. I saw you want to work for FDNY EMS, well according to their .gov site EMT-B's start off at 31k a year and 45k after 5 years. Medics start off at 43k and after 5 years hit 59k. I grew up in Boston, so NYC is pretty close in terms of cost of living, And those salary ranges are not much.

As for respect? You might get a thank you once in a while.

Crazy times? lol

"As for respect? You might get a thank you once in a while."......
lachen001.gif
, damn.

In reference to everything else you said. Well, I'm just starting out. I'm only 23. I got the drive and motivation to go through whatever bull I gotta go through to make the big money.

All I need is a map and a point in the right direction.

I hope I can find those things here.

LJAPZEF.png

Doc Logical

Forum Crew Member

tumblr_lif42yE0Rs1qgnsnbo1_500.gif

It will always be about the money. Whether I want it to be or not.

But it is secondary.

I have to enjoy what I do, in order to enjoy being paid to do it.

I just need some help, that is why I signed up to this site because maybe I can find answers here.

o16vPRS.png
, well I'm hoping.

That and maybe I'll learn alot from EMTs on this site about.....being a great EMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
JP in training?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
"As for respect? You might get a thank you once in a while."......
lachen001.gif
, damn.

In reference to everything else you said. Well, I'm just starting out. I'm only 23. I got the drive and motivation to go through whatever bull I gotta go through to make the big money.

All I need is a map and a point in the right direction.

I hope I can find those things here.

LJAPZEF.png

You seem to be severely misinformed about EMS. What big bucks are you talking about and where can I find them?

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Could see myself going maybe PA after retiring from the service. That said, I don't ever see myself leaving it.
This did me good to read, Drax. I just turned 36, and was afraid I was too old to have a good career as a paramedic for the duration of my life. I can't wait to take the registry exam in a few months (EMT-B)