the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
For what? Anytime you’re making patient contact you should be wearing your standard nitrile PPE.

If you need gloves for vehicle extrication or using tools, mechanics gloves. They have served me well for 20+ years.
Not in place of PPE, just for lifting equipment and such. Hands are getting a little torn up and raw.
Exactly what Nomad said, the Mechanic/Mechanix gloves have been great in my experience. Go with full gloves. Anything you need to feel with your fingers, you will feel through your gloves.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
But my original question, fingerless gloves or no? Maybe I want to be able to palpate things with gloves on and not worry about taking them off

I use full mechanix gloves for swift water. If I can do fine dexterity skills with wet gloves in a river, than I think you'll be fine.

The real question is what are you palpating without regular nitrile gloves?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I use full mechanix gloves for swift water. If I can do fine dexterity skills with wet gloves in a river, than I think you'll be fine.

;)

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan

Without? Nothing.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Without? Nothing.

Then why would you want fingerless gloves?

Touching people in an EMS environment= Nitrile gloves
Using tools = Regular mechanics gloves.

You can buy a decent pair at harbor freight, Home Depot or any auto parts store.

As an aside, for a while I used a pair of Petzl Cordex climbing gloves as my "ems work gloves" but the fabric back caused me to get sliced by a sharp piece of metal when doing an extrication class with some students and they stink pretty bad when they get wet. But super comfortable. I still use them as my work gloves at home.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Then why would you want fingerless gloves?

Touching people in an EMS environment= Nitrile gloves
Using tools = Regular mechanics gloves.

You can buy a decent pair at harbor freight, Home Depot or any auto parts store.

As an aside, for a while I used a pair of Petzl Cordex climbing gloves as my "ems work gloves" but the fabric back caused me to get sliced by a sharp piece of metal when doing an extrication class with some students and they stink pretty bad when they get wet. But super comfortable. I still use them as my work gloves at home.

I honestly don't have any reasonable reason to expect to use fingerless gloves. But I am not that experienced and if some of y'all had piped up and said "Yeah I use fingerless gloves all the time because...."

I would have considered it.

CALEMT

I honestly don't have any reasonable reason to expect to use fingerless gloves. But I am not that experienced and if some of y'all had piped up and said "Yeah I use fingerless gloves all the time because...."

I would have considered it.

Only time I would use fingerless is when I go shooting. I just buy normal gloves then I cut the pointer finger.

Also I wouldn’t 100% rely on our answers like “we use this all the time because...” it’s pretty much the same as we’ve always done it this way.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Only time I would use fingerless is when I go shooting. I just buy normal gloves then I cut the pointer finger.

Also I wouldn’t 100% rely on our answers like “we use this all the time because...” it’s pretty much the same as we’ve always done it this way.

I don't rely on, but it can be food for thought.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I’ve seen you in fingerless gloves at the gay bar in the city...

Reactions: Jon

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

CALEMT

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Back to eyeballing gloves. I was going to buy regular military/ police style gloves but then I wondered about getting fingerless gloves.

Anyone have advice for the two options?

I can’t fathom any time in day to day fire/EMS ops where I would need or want fingerless gloves.

If you’re not on a bike, and you’re not shooting, you probably don’t need them.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
I can’t fathom any time in day to day fire/EMS ops where I would need or want fingerless gloves.

If you’re not on a bike, and you’re not shooting, you probably don’t need them.

I figured it would be pretty much all or nothing. Thanks.