the 100% directionless thread

mediclife

Forum Probie
I always thought it was odd that the law is no drinking and driving yet you can get booze while you fuel up. Things that make you go hmmmm.

In Louisiana we have drive-thur daiquiris and it not a open container unless the straw is in with the paper completely removed

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Achilles

Forum Moron
Anyone here proficient at math?

If it's 90' to first base (base distance is equal) and 60.5' from the pitchers mound to home plate. What is the distance from the pitchers mound to first base?

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

If it's 90' to first base (base distance is equal) and 60.5' from the pitchers mound to home plate. What is the distance from the pitchers mound to first base?

About 63'.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Two days left until my retirement from NYC EMS.

So excited.

JPINFV

Gadfly

1. I hate you.

2. Even if 1st base and the pitcher's plate is reduced to a point, it still isn't a right triangle. Close, but not exactly.

3. It's not actually 90 feet between each base. The base path starts at the point of home plate. It's 90 feet from there to the rear outside corner of first and third base (by rule, all bases and home plate are entirely within fair territory). It's 90 feet from that point to the center second base. This is covered, including diagrams, in the Official Rules of Baseball 1.04 (OBR 1.04).

4. To take into account the size of the base and the size of the pitchers plate and those effects on the distance, I considered it a straight line between them. Per 2, this is technically wrong, but the size difference that this assumption makes is insignificant.

5. What we know per OBR: The distance between the middle of 2nd base to the point of the plate. The distance from the point of the plate to the edge of the pitchers plate, the distance from the point to the rear of 1st and 3rd base, and the distance from the rear of 1st and 3rd base to 2nd base. We know the distance from 1st and 3rd base using that point. We know the size of the base, and the size of the pitchers plate.

We know that the center of the pitcher's plate is on the line between home plate and 2nd base.

To calculate the distance, what you need is a 90 degree angle. That triangle is formed from the middle point of the diamond to the rear corner of 1st base, (call this distance A), middle of the diamond to the pitchers plate (B), and the distance from the pitchers plate to 1st base (C, unknown).

A^2+B^2=C^2
C= 63.702.

The pitchers plate, by rule, is 2 feet wide (24 inches). Half of that is 1 foot.

The base is, by rule, 15 inches on each side. We need to length across. 15^2+15^2 = C^2
C=21 inches =1.75 feet.

63.702-1-1.75=60.952 feet = 60 feet, 11.4 inches.

I still hate you for this.

I've attached a picture of the dimensions. The right triangle symbol in the center of field/first base/pitchers plate is on the wrong end and I had to redo some of the math because of that (otherwise I'd submit all of my work, but it's wrong and I ended up redoing it), but it gives an idea of the dimensions and the triangle I used to find the distance.

Attachments

• Baseball2.jpg
    Baseball2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
The best part about being in medical school with an insanely long last name is when the following inevitable conversation will occur.

"Is Dr. Plsdlkfhski here?"
"Doctor Who?"

Anjel

Forum Angel

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
1. I hate you.

2. Even if 1st base and the pitcher's plate is reduced to a point, it still isn't a right triangle. Close, but not exactly.

3. It's not actually 90 feet between each base. The base path starts at the point of home plate. It's 90 feet from there to the rear outside corner of first and third base (by rule, all bases and home plate are entirely within fair territory). It's 90 feet from that point to the center second base. This is covered, including diagrams, in the Official Rules of Baseball 1.04 (OBR 1.04).

4. To take into account the size of the base and the size of the pitchers plate and those effects on the distance, I considered it a straight line between them. Per 2, this is technically wrong, but the size difference that this assumption makes is insignificant.

5. What we know per OBR: The distance between the middle of 2nd base to the point of the plate. The distance from the point of the plate to the edge of the pitchers plate, the distance from the point to the rear of 1st and 3rd base, and the distance from the rear of 1st and 3rd base to 2nd base. We know the distance from 1st and 3rd base using that point. We know the size of the base, and the size of the pitchers plate.

We know that the center of the pitcher's plate is on the line between home plate and 2nd base.

To calculate the distance, what you need is a 90 degree angle. That triangle is formed from the middle point of the diamond to the rear corner of 1st base, (call this distance A), middle of the diamond to the pitchers plate (B), and the distance from the pitchers plate to 1st base (C, unknown).

A^2+B^2=C^2
C= 63.702.

The pitchers plate, by rule, is 2 feet wide (24 inches). Half of that is 1 foot.

The base is, by rule, 15 inches on each side. We need to length across. 15^2+15^2 = C^2
C=21 inches =1.75 feet.

63.702-1-1.75=60.952 feet = 60 feet, 11.4 inches.

I still hate you for this.

I've attached a picture of the dimensions. The right triangle symbol in the center of field/first base/pitchers plate is on the wrong end and I had to redo some of the math because of that (otherwise I'd submit all of my work, but it's wrong and I ended up redoing it), but it gives an idea of the dimensions and the triangle I used to find the distance.

You have a problem.