the 100% directionless thread

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
8jimi8

There. I did my Morphine. Tween impaled with a hook in the scrotum. Hospital gave 4 of Morphine PTA but still complained of 6/10(duh), so in the rig I gave him another 3. Knocked pain to 1-2/10.

Had a bit of a "new medic first time giving narcs to a ped alone" scare for a second, but all turned out fine.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
8jimi8

There. I did my Morphine. Tween impaled with a hook in the scrotum. Hospital gave 4 of Morphine PTA but still complained of 6/10(duh), so in the rig I gave him another 3. Knocked pain to 1-2/10.

Had a bit of a "new medic first time giving narcs to a ped alone" scare for a second, but all turned out fine.

Don't even want to know.......

But good for you! I can't wait until I get me enough money to take medic. Then I can give out drugs too! Since I'm sure that is all you medics doo is think about shooting other people up with strange substances. Right, right?:p

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Over the next two weeks I have interviews for....

-911 Dispatch
-ICU tech
-Family Planning clinic MA

Can you say quarter-life crisis? Yeesh.

911 Dispatch pays well, but may distract you from what you really want to do. I'm actually really glad something came up and I didn't end up getting the dispatch job I almost got this time last year. For nursing related experience, I'd say go ICU tech all the way... you'll get a lot of good psychosocial exposure as the MA though, too.

Good luck to you! :)

--Wendy

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Shift from hell yesterday :( I'm off driving status for a few days. Just got home so I'm going to bed now :(

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Last night I watched about 10 minutes of Lopez Tonight... he made the classic "news reporter covering emergency scene" mistake that makes me cringe everytime I hear it. He refered to a vehicle that displayed and was using a "blue siren". They do it in the news all the time; "you can see all the emergency vehicles and sirens behind me." Ahhhh!!! YOU CAN NOT SEE THE SIREN... YOU CAN SEE THE LIGHTS!!! AND SIRENS DO NOT HAVE COLORS!!!

Sorry... pet peeve of mine... :blush:

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Last night I watched about 10 minutes of Lopez Tonight... he made the classic "news reporter covering emergency scene" mistake that makes me cringe everytime I hear it. He refered to a vehicle that displayed and was using a "blue siren". They do it in the news all the time; "you can see all the emergency vehicles and sirens behind me." Ahhhh!!! YOU CAN NOT SEE THE SIREN... YOU CAN SEE THE LIGHTS!!! AND SIRENS DO NOT HAVE COLORS!!!

Sorry... pet peeve of mine... :blush:
I dunno...if you stand right next to one, you might start seeing some weird stuff.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
911 Dispatch pays well, but may distract you from what you really want to do. I'm actually really glad something came up and I didn't end up getting the dispatch job I almost got this time last year. For nursing related experience, I'd say go ICU tech all the way... you'll get a lot of good psychosocial exposure as the MA though, too.

Good luck to you! :)

--Wendy

Thank you! That's just the crux of it though... I've been missing the public safety stuff a lot. I interviewed in the ICU today and the RN manager was excited to hear that I'm planning on getting my BSN down the road and told me that 4 of their nurses were once techs that used the hospital's tuition assistance / scholarships... think it's a good sign that they stuck around after getting their RN. She also told me they have a partnership with a local comm. college and most of the time their techs skip the nursing program wait list, which would be awesome.... even though it would just be an ADN I can always do an RN to BSN program.

We'll see what happens. I'm just reflecting on it all and seeing what is offered to me.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Thank you! That's just the crux of it though... I've been missing the public safety stuff a lot. I interviewed in the ICU today and the RN manager was excited to hear that I'm planning on getting my BSN down the road and told me that 4 of their nurses were once techs that used the hospital's tuition assistance / scholarships... think it's a good sign that they stuck around after getting their RN. She also told me they have a partnership with a local comm. college and most of the time their techs skip the nursing program wait list, which would be awesome.... even though it would just be an ADN I can always do an RN to BSN program.

We'll see what happens. I'm just reflecting on it all and seeing what is offered to me.

I loved picking up tech shifts in the ICU in ABQ. I learned a lot from working with the RNs there. And that skipping the waitlist deal is better than anything my old hospital offered me

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
With friends at a creek, swinging from a rope in to said creek. Rope had a car-towing type hook on the end of it. Got stuck...

kermit

Forum Crew Member
My son ,when he was two years old ,got a plastic bead stuck in his nose and I used manual suction and a straw to remove it. Should I use this experience on my EMT resume? Or should I just keep quiet about this one?:ph34r:

8jimi8

CFRN

-911 Dispatch
-ICU tech

I take you for the type to end up going for a masters, so don't waste your time with the bsn right now. Take the tech job and get your adn. You can pick up the bsn on the way to masters and prob have the hosp pay your whole nursing education. Good luck!!! I'm excited for you!

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I would not be asking that.......I dont want to know.

Ok, actually I do, but I have to say that.
I am confused as to your contradictions. Did ya want to know the story or not? And why do you have to say that?

With friends at a creek, swinging from a rope in to said creek. Rope had a car-towing type hook on the end of it. Got stuck...
ouch!!!!!!! *shakes head*
I would have had a very hard time keeping a straight face on that call. B)

8jimi8

CFRN

-911 Dispatch
-ICU tech

I take you for the type to end up going for a masters, so don't waste your time with the bsn right now. Take the tech job and get your adn. You can pick up the bsn on the way to masters and prob have the hosp pay your whole nursing education. Good luck!!! I'm excited for you!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
One fine day in the middle of the night
Two dead boys* got up to fight [*or men]
Back to back they faced each other
Drew their swords and shot each other
Part 2a.
One was blind and the other couldn't see
So they chose a dummy for a referee.
A blind man went to see fair play
A dumb man went to shout "hooray!"
[or: And two lame men came to carry them away]
Part 2b.
A paralysed donkey passing by
Kicked the blind man in the eye
Knocked him through a nine inch wall
Into a dry ditch and drowned them all
Part 2c.
."I come before you, to stand behind you,
To tell you something I know nothing about.
Admission is free, so pay at the door;
Pull up a chair and sit on the floor:

2.Early this morning, late last night,
Two dead men rose up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords and shot one 'nother.

3.A stone-deaf sheriff heard the noise,
And came and killed those two dead boys.
The mute psychotic shrieked in fright,
With words of joy at this ghastly sight.

4.Now if you doubt this lie is true?
Ask the blind man; he saw it, too."

:)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I am confused as to your contradictions. Did ya want to know the story or not? And why do you have to say that?

Well, I do want to know, but I am afraid to ask. You have to be a guy to understand. Sometimes just hearing about trauma to that region of the body hurts.

So, as an EMS provider, I want to hear. As a fellow male, I don't.:p

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, I do want to know, but I am afraid to ask. You have to be a guy to understand. Sometimes just hearing about trauma to that region of the body hurts.

So, as an EMS provider, I want to hear. As a fellow male, I don't.:p

gotcha. B)