the 100% directionless thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
My honest opinion is there really is no one way to precept. Some may enjoy and appreciate your methods, while others may not.

At the end of the day we still learned a lot from one another, and for the most part developed a mutual respect of one another. I can’t agree or disagree with anyone else’s methods because my methods worked for me when I did it.

Having limits and others know that you have expectations that should be met isn’t always a bad thing. Countless times had I had interns that had “heard things” only to end up having a blast with me, and us learning, seeing, and doing a lot together.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Appreciate the input guys. Sounds like everything yall are saying are the things that I still remember from medic school that my favorite preceptors did and what I plan to follow in doing. Just wanted to pause and ensure I am taking it in the right direction.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
So preceptors...what are things y'all find particularly beneficial to do with students? Going to be cleared for medic students here soon. I remember my preceptors that stood out and why they were great, but want to get some ideas of things I may not remember as well. I want to ensure they are quality shifts and add some ideas to what I remember standing out the most.

Actually draw drugs and give sample med math programs to them, especially if an RSI program.

I used to have a bunch of expired RSI drugs which I relabeled the vials and removed old drug. Filled with NS. Then would give them weight based scenarios for adult/peds, and they had to do the math and draw the correct volume/dose for said patient. Would be surprised how many expirenced medics struggle to do this quickly, or simple say 70-80kg patient in their head.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Wellp, finished my taxes....and I am supposed to get a refund (yay). Uber'ing cost me more in tax prep fees than actual taxes on that income (H&R Block charged me 400 bucks cuz of the extra long forms required for the Uber driving)

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Wellp, finished my taxes....and I am supposed to get a refund (yay). Uber'ing cost me more in tax prep fees than actual taxes on that income (H&R Block charged me 400 bucks cuz of the extra long forms required for the Uber driving)

Glad to hear you’re getting a refund, but HR block saw you coming and you got hardcore F’ed price wise.... my guy 234.00 to itemize everything to include: House, car mileage, charitable deductions, union dues, closing costs/county taxes, and 1099INT statements, and he is “expensive” compared to some. Sorry man that sucks but at least you’re done and don’t owe. Do yourself a favor for next year find a good CPA.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Glad to hear you’re getting a refund, but HR block saw you coming and you got hardcore F’ed price wise.... my guy 234.00 to itemize everything to include: House, car mileage, charitable deductions, union dues, closing costs/county taxes, and 1099INT statements, and he is “expensive” compared to some. Sorry man that sucks but at least you’re done and don’t owe. Do yourself a favor for next year find a good CPA.
I second getting a good CPA. I have one costs me about 400 but I've got multiple investments on top of all the usual stuff mm

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I can’t really throw in my 2 cents other than hopefully you know someone whose a CPA. I get my taxes done by a family friend whose a CPA for free 99.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I 'll also say go the CPA route. Mine cut me a bit off and was like $80. Got me enough back to have almost completely paid for the PRK I had done.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I got back a very decent amount and it looks like it may double for next year. However about 1/3 of it is going to my truck registration this year because its looking to be about $600, yay California.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
looking to be about $600, yay California.

Mine actually went down. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing its because my truck is 10 years old now? Considering what I paid last year and the fact it went up by $100 I was gearing up to pay $490 for a 10 year old truck.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Makes me sad about the world to think that when I see a really good price for a flight that "I am definitely gonna be the first person to get bumped off the flight."

Lo2w

Forum Captain
So preceptors...what are things y'all find particularly beneficial to do with students? Going to be cleared for medic students here soon. I remember my preceptors that stood out and why they were great, but want to get some ideas of things I may not remember as well. I want to ensure they are quality shifts and add some ideas to what I remember standing out the most.

As a student and recently new hire going through the FTOs I always appreciated the ones that were really engaged and finding opportunities to talk/teach/discuss.

I had a few FTOs that were good about discussing the past call, going over what went well, what we did and why we may have done x vs. y. As an EMT I had one that kind of ran me like a medic - obviously didn't have me do anything above scope. But he did things like going over every inch of the drug bag: quizzing me on what we used for things, indications etc. He also would force me to do some of the decision making: "do you want a 12 lead?" ..."ill let you decide".

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I worked an event back in October and got paid $65 for it. That check bounced and I was charged $12 by my bank, so I contacted the event company and told them what happened and that they need to send me a new check totaling $77. I received a check for $72. I just let it slide. I just now logged on to by bank app and saw that the $72 check has also bounced and another $12 charge has been added bringing this total to $89. So now, not only have I not been paid for the gig, it has cost me $24. I told them to send me a money order! According to them, this has never happened to anyone else. Really???
Will I ever work for them again????? NNNOOOOOTTTTT Am I upset??? YYYEEESSS

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I worked an event back in October and got paid $65 for it. That check bounced and I was charged $12 by my bank, so I contacted the event company and told them what happened and that they need to send me a new check totaling $77. I received a check for $72. I just let it slide. I just now logged on to by bank app and saw that the $72 check has also bounced and another $12 charge has been added bringing this total to $89. So now, not only have I not been paid for the gig, it has cost me $24. I told them to send me a money order! According to them, this has never happened to anyone else. Really???
Will I ever work for them again????? NNNOOOOOTTTTT Am I upset??? YYYEEESSS
Or request cash upfront.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Won't need to. I'll never work for them again.

Smart move....local private company down my way had the same issues with employees weekly paychecks! They were told “cash them on Monday” haha. Needless to say they closed up shop a few months later....

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Won't need to. I'll never work for them again.
Not to sound bad or anything, but what company is this so none of us ever get sucked into their trap?

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Do something based off evidence, not feelings. When you start trying to do "something" because it feels better to than "nothing" usually leads to illogical actions. The laws did not fail, the system did. Law enforcement dropped the ball. There are numerous times this kid should have gotten mental health treatment and his gun rights revoked. People want to use this as a fuel for the gun ban debate and comman sense gun laws are anything but. Probation as never worked for anything in American history. And unfortunately you can not stop these types of things. If evil people want to do evil they will, if it' a gun, knives, bomb, or car.

You do not take away my right to drive a car because my neighbor got drunk and killed somebody. Why do people take this stance on guns
Review FBI Crime Statistics. I believe we're up to year 2015. Most deaths occur with:????? Hands and fists. Clubs, bats, knives. Guns are near the bottom of the list and hanguns make up the majority, not rifles or ARs.