the 100% directionless thread

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean I have one month exactly til I leave and a week of that won't even be here. My exit is secure if it went south.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean I have one month exactly til I leave and a week of that won't even be here. My exit is secure if it went south.

zero (basically?) risk, all gain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
No Pyxis at the hospital?

Nope. We do the "swap a full drug bag with pharmacy when the seal is broken" dance here. So, say I gave someone 4mg of zofran, I would have to write the complete report, print it, put a copy in my now unsealed drug bag, go to the pharmacy, get a new bag, count the entire contents, sign an inventory sheet, sign a med use form, have any controlled substances wasted in front of the RN or pharmacist, seal my new bag, note the seal number and then leave.

Imagine doing that a couple of times per day. And of course, our pharmacy isn't 24 hours, so when you need a drug bag in the middle of the night, you have to find the nursing supervisor to unlock the drug bag storage and go through the whole rigamarole again.

Is it any wonder why we're not super liberal with meds? I believe the difficulty in replacing a drug bag has made for medics who will hold off on meds to avoid the hassle. It's awful.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. We do the "swap a full drug bag with pharmacy when the seal is broken" dance here. So, say I gave someone 4mg of zofran, I would have to write the complete report, print it, put a copy in my now unsealed drug bag, go to the pharmacy, get a new bag, count the entire contents, sign an inventory sheet, sign a med use form, have any controlled substances wasted in front of the RN or pharmacist, seal my new bag, note the seal number and then leave.

Imagine doing that a couple of times per day. And of course, our pharmacy isn't 24 hours, so when you need a drug bag in the middle of the night, you have to find the nursing supervisor to unlock the drug bag storage and go through the whole rigamarole again.

Is it any wonder why we're not super liberal with meds? I believe the difficulty in replacing a drug bag has made for medics who will hold off on meds to avoid the hassle. It's awful.
That sounds like quite the handful....and yet somehow I get the feeling you still give more Zofran than some of our Squadies who don't have anything like that mess (not sure what they're drug restock process is, but I know they keep restocks on the Squad for their bag/box)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Wow. Restock here is: I walk to a cabinet locked by a padlock and type in the code and get the medications I need and place them in my bag.

If it's narcotics I am restocking I just sign my box in and then sign out a new box. We don't use any hospital supplies.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My CC-P's restocking process is basically what @DesertMedic66 is. He says i used xyz med, goes and gets said medicine. If its a narcotic he puts his box in and gets a new stocked one. If it's an easy swap, and a boring day at the hospital i believe a doc/pharmacist will just get the narc he used, but im not 100% sure there.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep. Still a pain. Last place was a Pyxis in the ED reserved for EMS. Super easy. I miss that.

It's crazy to think that the full drug bag has to be replaced...even for Zofran! Wow.

NomadicMedic

We have a little box, called a supplemental, that has some often used meds in it and can be swapped easily. As in, we have a bunch on the shelf at the station, but you still have to put a full report, meds use form and count/seal it when you're done. It's got asa, ntg, albuterol and D50 and a couple of other things I never use. That things I've asked for repeatedly in that box continue to be denied. ODT Zofran and Narcan. I Hear they're worried about diversion. Diversion of zofran? Seriously? Narcan is OTC here. It's one of those things that I scratch my head at.

Oh well. I just keep asking.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So which one of you Cult members is posting to Ghettomedic? :p

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170406-110909.png
    Screenshot_20170406-110909.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 189

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

I would piss off the pharmacy so very much

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yep. Still a pain. Last place was a Pyxis in the ED reserved for EMS. Super easy. I miss that.
I just walk into my station, pull the non-controlled drugs off a shelf in our drug cabinet and go. The only time I have to bug my supervisor is for narcotics, geodon, and etomidate (used to not have to with etomidate, but we had a former medic who was diverting it and shooting up at work)

NomadicMedic

At Sussex it was all in the Pyxis. Controlled and non. It was so easy to restock a med, I never thought twice about it.

So which one of you Cult members is posting to Ghettomedic? :p

You saw that too? [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk