the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sooo...except for a short hop on the 605 from the 10 till Whittier, the gps has literally taken us on surface streets the entire way from home to LAX (normally a 42 mile trip that takes ~50 min, we've been in the car 2 hours with at least another 20 min to go, and it's an hour till my departure.....)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup, took 2 1/2 hrs to get to LAX, got here 30 min prior to departure time, they won't even let me check my bag in, next flight isn't until 5 pm, and I'm only on standby for that one, can't even check my bag in until 1:30..

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Sooo...except for a short hop on the 605 from the 10 till Whittier, the gps has literally taken us on surface streets the entire way from home to LAX (normally a 42 mile trip that takes ~50 min, we've been in the car 2 hours with at least another 20 min to go, and it's an hour till my departure.....)
Yup, took 2 1/2 hrs to get to LAX, got here 30 min prior to departure time, they won't even let me check my bag in, next flight isn't until 5 pm, and I'm only on standby for that one, can't even check my bag in until 1:30..
Say what? 605--->105---> LAX. Done and done. Please tell me you didn't take Imperial Hwy all the way there??o_O

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
they won't even let me check my bag in,

Jim, are you not part of the large carry-on that they have to gate check club?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I remember when flying used to be amazing.

I keep a platinum AMEX card simply to get into the airport lounges so I can get some peace and quiet at the airport. I used to fly a lot for business and I was automatically upgraded on every TWA and Northwest flight I took. Those days are long gone. Now I'm lucky if I can get my bag on board and have the armrest.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I remember when flying used to be amazing.

I keep a platinum AMEX card simply to get into the airport lounges so I can get some peace and quiet at the airport. I used to fly a lot for business and I was automatically upgraded on every TWA and Northwest flight I took. Those days are long gone. Now I'm lucky if I can get my bag on board and have the armrest.
Is TWA still around? Seriously, I'm asking. I was watching The Aviator the other night and it reminded me of what once was.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Is TWA still around? Seriously, I'm asking. I was watching The Aviator the other night and it reminded me of what once was.

Nope. Long gone.

When I was flying TWA almost every week, we called it "totally wasted again". Flying first class was basically an open bar.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When I was flying TWA almost every week, we called it "totally wasted again". Flying first class was basically an open bar.
Reminds of another good movie with Denzel in it called "Flight" where he "Sully's" a plane inverted sh-tfaced; God bless Hollywood.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Say what? 605--->105---> LAX. Done and done. Please tell me you didn't take Imperial Hwy all the way there??o_O
Even better, we practically took Manchester/Florence.
Like I said, it was my mom driving me, the UConnect GPS in her car decided the freeways were so slammed with traffic that instead of getting on the 210-->605-->105-->LAX, we took surface streets all through Covina and Baldwin Park, got on the 605 at Ramona (just north of the 10), got off the 605 at Whittier Blvd, then Whittier-->Rosemead Blvd-->Slauson Ave-->Garfield Ave-->Firestone Blvd-->Manchester Blvd-->Prairie Ave past Centinela lol-->Century Blvd straight into LAX....yeah....

I mean normally I take the 210-->605-->105-->Central Ave (just before the 110) to my station, and that can sometimes take an hour with traffic if it gets bad enough, so 1 1/2 hrs seemed reasonable in morning rush hour, so idk what the hell the GPS saw that kept us surface streets the whole way, but yeah, checking in at the airport same time your flight is supposed to be boarding = no bueno. Oh well, time to chill at the USO until the next 5pm flight

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Let's just say if I was driving I'd have gone thru a lot more of those yellows while the Charger was making what my dad calls "Happy noises" lol

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Got two days off and I feel like learning something new. Anyone come across any good reads lately?