the 100% directionless thread

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot depends on how much you are looking to spend and what kind of residence you want. The Metairie area is really nice and pretty much as close to being in the city as you can get. That would be my first choice. Kenner is slightly farther away but also a good option. Slidell is on the northshore and more on the 30 minute end but it feels like being in a normal town and isn't as claustrophobic as the city is IMO. A lot of people like the west bank, but I don't know as much about it. Traffic is terrible here though, so if you are gonna be commuting through rush hour traffic you can expect that might be take way longer than it should. Why don't you want to live in the city? Honestly it is not as bad or expensive as most people think. Are you gonna be working for the city?

Yeah those towns have come up a few times. I'm use to the traffic from where I live now. And am not completely against living in the city if I found a relatively quite spot. That's the biggest thing I want. Yes I will be working for the city. Appreciate the response.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
So this is that bulb syringe I found buried amongst my Army issued stuff that I mentioned in the chat. To me looks a little too big to be an infant size from an OB kit. Since my IFAK only contains an NPA for airway, and even if you stop the external bleeding, all the tourniquets and Quikclot won't help you save your buddy if they're drowning in their own blood or mucous or whatever, I think I will add this to my IFAK. (I wonder if maybe that was it's actual purpose somewhere years back when I first acquired it?)
Everyone knows that this is the best portable suction.
image.jpeg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Or will you be carrying a gun?

Rhonda

Forum Lieutenant
Nice! When you are in town let me know and I'll take you out for a beer.

Well, more bad news, this time from Burbank Fire. I got the email from them earlier saying my NTN score did not meet their cutoff of 89.28. My score? A mere 1.12 points below the cutoff at 88.16 :/ :( Still waiting on word from Culver City if I met their cutoff for the NTN test or not.....

However, on better news side, I also got an email from the Southern Nevada Fire Consortium (one test for a bunch of So NV dept, the openings I applied for in this go around are City of Henderson, City of North Las Vegas, and Clark County), I am eligible to schedule myself to take their written test in January so yeah...

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Well, apparently, I'm on the highly qualified list for this dispatcher job and their pushing to hire me as soon as my background check is done. Oh, and the whole police department is talking about me. #justbeingme

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I was dispatched to a woman with back pain earlier today. I groaned a little (maybe a lot) inwardly, because ALS Charlie level back pain calls always seem to be nonsense, and I don't even find myself medicating them a lot of the time.

Wouldn't you know the poor patient suffers from Marfan's Syndrome, has a diagnosed ascending and descending thoracic aortic aneurysm that has torn in the past, underwent an aortic graft at a large teaching hospital two months ago, and is currently complaining of a severe "tearing" pain in between her shoulder blades? Yeah, I puckered a little bit. Nicest lady ever too. We calmed her down a little, got her pain and blood pressure well under control with some fentanyl, and took a nice easy ride to the hospital.

She was a textbook Marfan's case. I know a bit about Marfan's, but I can't say I've had any other patients with it that I know of. I don't know the results of her findings or if it was even related to her aneurysm, but still an interesting call and a lady I'm glad I could at least make feel better.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So day 1 of orientation at the new company complete. Spent the day in classroom reading the employee manual going over uniform standards, attendance and punctuality, roles and responsibilities and station duties, response times, HIPAA, usual boilerplate stuff. But they fed us pizza, and it's going to be a lot less "rookie firefighter" treatment than at my last FD. Tomorrow is all mapping and shadowing dispatch (which will be a first, none of my previous jobs did they ever really have any EMTs just allowed to hang out in there). Heck they even want us listening in to an online scanner of our dispatch as "homework" just to get familiar with how everything is relayed on air.

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah those towns have come up a few times. I'm use to the traffic from where I live now. And am not completely against living in the city if I found a relatively quite spot. That's the biggest thing I want. Yes I will be working for the city. Appreciate the response.

If you want quiet then I recommend Metairie. Unless you are more of a country person and then I might recommend the Belle Chasse area on the West Bank. You can find safe and affordable in the city, but I don't feel like you will really find many quiet areas unless you can afford to live in the Lakeview area.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want quiet then I recommend Metairie. Unless you are more of a country person and then I might recommend the Belle Chasse area on the West Bank. You can find safe and affordable in the city, but I don't feel like you will really find many quiet areas unless you can afford to live in the Lakeview area.

Thanks for the info. I will start to do some digging tonight probably. But is there decent amount of land for sale in belle chasse?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Man. Just worked a cardiac arrest where the elderly mother tried to roll her unresponsive daughter over for 20 minutes because she panicked, didn't remember to call 911/couldn't find the phone, and didn't want to wake her son in law up. Poor lady. Sometimes all the public education in the world doesn't make it to the right people.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok......I just got an email from LA City, it doesn't explicitly word it that I have passed backgrounds, BUT it does say "Congratulations, you are currently a candidate in the Los Angeles Fire Department selection process..." and goes on to talk about reading attached flier on advice for nutrition, weight and body fat.....oh and the medical and psychological exam which is the next step in the process after the backgrounds........so I'm starting to get very cautiously excited (here's hoping it's not just a "hey, we still have you on file somewhere.......")

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I start school for Bachelor's Degree #2 on Monday, this time in health care management. By the end of my benefits in 2018, I'll have degrees in paramedicine, education and business management, and may be able to expand on those furthermore. I wish the masters program I wanted at U of H was open, but moving from Oklahoma made it more challenging to get in than I wanted and it's more for primary-ed teachers than would-be professors.

Maybe I can drop fifty pounds and go back into the Army as an officer lol.

Of course, this job I have now is freaking awesome... $20 an hour, paid health, great community and environment, 911 and IFT....leaving would suck.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Got to have dinner with one of my sisters and play some cards against humanity. Nice way to spend the evening before we have to go all out in medic again, January is going to be an *** kicker.

terrible one

Always wandering
Today didn't start off well. I just got a phone call that a close friend and mentor of mine died unexpectedly. Really bummed now.