the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I thought I read somewhere earlier on EMTLife that there was a shortage of NS and took it to be a joke. :unsure: If you guys are serious, then my hospital has some serious black market connections. We literally have cases upon cases of NS being stocked by supply chain everyday. We give them out like candy. You want NS, here ya go. You do too? OK. I think you should stock some NS on that linen cart too.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I thought I read somewhere earlier on EMTLife that there was a shortage of NS and took it to be a joke. :unsure: If you guys are serious, then my hospital has some serious black market connections. We literally have cases upon cases of NS being stocked by supply chain everyday. We give them out like candy. You want NS, here ya go. You do too? OK. I think you should stock some NS on that linen cart too.

Completely serious man. It's on national back order. Hospitals seem to be ok for now, beacuse they order so much. But EMS is having issues getting it in some areas

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow. Ok. I guess looks can be deceiving. We just have soo much, it's unfathomable in my mind that anyone would be running low/out. My company and all the other crews that transport to the same hospitals as us seem to be doing fine though.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah we're down to 1 500cc bag on our trucks, with none left in supply, but strangely enough we have plenty of 1000cc bags..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I haven't worked in a week but last week we had no shortage. Boxes and boxes of NS in different amounts. Each ambulance still had +7 liters.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
I haven't worked in a week but last week we had no shortage. Boxes and boxes of NS in different amounts. Each ambulance still had +7 liters.

Last week the truck I was on had 1 NS, 2 Ringers, and a bag of D5.....That was it. Also only had 1 versed and 1 sucs, no vec, 1 etomidate, and 1 morphine....talk about piss poor ability to do anything for someone who is really jacked up.

Also had no veniguards so cobaning all the IV's was standard last week...

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yeah we're down to 1 500cc bag on our trucks, with none left in supply, but strangely enough we have plenty of 1000cc bags..
It's odd how inconsistent this shortage is. We were told we have enough 500cc bags for now but to make an attempt to conserve our 1 liter bags when possible. Go figure.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Last week the truck I was on had 1 NS, 2 Ringers, and a bag of D5.....That was it. Also only had 1 versed and 1 sucs, no vec, 1 etomidate, and 1 morphine....talk about piss poor ability to do anything for someone who is really jacked up.

Also had no veniguards so cobaning all the IV's was standard last week...

Ouch. We are still in the process of using up our morphine reserve to fully switch to Fent.

The only shortage that we have seen in the 3 years I've been at my company was Epi 1:10,000 preloads.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We get D50 in vials now. Pain in my ***. Apparently we switched to 500 bags rather than liters. Not sure of the stocking since I've been out for so long. Used to have 8-10 liters on the rig plus two in my bag. Been plenty of days I burned through all of it.

Also carry 100cc bags for meds, usually 2-3.

We never saw the epi shortage but we did modify our protocols to allow us to use vasopressin as a single dose q20 rather than epi q3-5. You're reading that correct it was one or the other, not a replacing dose.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We've switched to 500 bags and there is a shortage of 1000. We have plenty of lactated ringers.

We had D50 in vials for a couple weeks, but are back to prefilled now.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I asked the VST that does the ordering today about it, and he said when they found out there was a shortage, management approved a mass order of the liter bags since we go through it so quickly, there was no way we wouldn't get through all of it by the expiration. Apparently we have nearly a pallet full.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I asked the VST that does the ordering today about it, and he said when they found out there was a shortage, management approved a mass order of the liter bags since we go through it so quickly, there was no way we wouldn't get through all of it by the expiration. Apparently we have nearly a pallet full.

I'm surprised there hasn't been huge crack down on what patients get bags and which ones get locks. There are some medics I've worked with where every single patient gets a bag.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm surprised there hasn't been huge crack down on what patients get bags and which ones get locks. There are some medics I've worked with where every single patient gets a bag.

At least on the floors, in the hospital pretty much no one gets a TKO rate. Either it's a maintenance rate, or more commonly, hep locked.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Hey Doctor, what's the exact number on TKO or does it vary by facility? I've heard 35mL/hr all the way up to 75 mL/hr.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Hospitals here make it 20ml/hr

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate flying, flew back to MA on Saturday now have to fly back to Texas on the 29th and come back the 1st of August, then flying back to Texas again the first of September. Airport beers.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
When our medics start an IV, they will leave it locked for the hospital. The only times they've asked us to spike a bag (which until further notice is the 1000cc bags unless specifically told otherwise) is when the pt has a dangerously low bp

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Malaysian commercial airliner carrying 295 passengers shot down over the Ukraine. World is falling apart one day at a time.