the 100% directionless thread

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's how it was at my school too, they also brought in other instructors and the program medical director to assist in testing. Maybe I'll just send an email to REMS and see what they say.

I've been debating for a while on sending out an email about it. My issue is that I don't want to drag either of my employers into it.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been debating for a while on sending out an email about it. My issue is that I don't want to drag either of my employers into it.

That's my issue too. I'm probably going to just create a dummy email account and do it anonymously. Riskier for you though because of your affiliation with the other school.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I'm probably going to just create a dummy email account and do it anonymously.

Repeat after me: "There is no such thing as anonymous on the internet.".

If you are seriously concerned about the blow back of reporting on your life, you need to ratchet the paranoia up several levels. Put a Paranoia Linux LiveUSB on a thumb drive, boot a laptop from it, connect to a Starbucks' Wifi, route through Tor then use a one off e-mail provider to send the message. Even that won't truly protect it, it just makes it harder to find you than anyone's interest is likely to be.

Alternatively, it sounds to me like you have some legitimate concerns about the quality of education, and while I don't know exactly what the threats to you are, if you blew the whistle with your name attached, it seems to me that no objective and reasonable person would hold you accountable for airing them.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Alternatively, it sounds to me like you have some legitimate concerns about the quality of education, and while I don't know exactly what the threats to you are, if you blew the whistle with your name attached, it seems to me that no objective and reasonable person would hold you accountable for airing them.

Objective and reasonable are open to very subjective interpretation is all I will say! :)

Angel

Paramedic
College of the Desperate. It's sad to say but it is true. You can ask the supervisors, I doubt it will help at all. It's been well known for a long time that the program is horrible there. I had to send home a student last year from the program. At least they now have to do 48 hours of ride outs instead of just 12.

Rumor has it they are trying to start up a medic program...

sounds like my EMT program :unsure:

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
This sucks! I have testing and a interview with ambulance company tomorrow but have lost my voice or well it's really scratchy due to a cold I got! I drove 10 hours for it and just emailed the HR lady to let her know and she said its my decision just don't get her sick. I don't know what I will do.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
nyquil and dayquil!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I regret going to one of my job interviews sick, but I am positive they would have not let me schedule another day to interview so I was probably screwed no matter what.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Repeat after me: "There is no such thing as anonymous on the internet.".

If you are seriously concerned about the blow back of reporting on your life, you need to ratchet the paranoia up several levels. Put a Paranoia Linux LiveUSB on a thumb drive, boot a laptop from it, connect to a Starbucks' Wifi, route through Tor then use a one off e-mail provider to send the message. Even that won't truly protect it, it just makes it harder to find you than anyone's interest is likely to be.
A quick informal risk analysis suggests that level of technical security is unnecessary. The content of the message is going to be a lot more identifying than the address and account, because it's going to discuss details only a few people have access to. At the same time, the attackers (schools/employers) have limited options: they can't use the law and they probably don't have a lot of experience or will to investigate leaks.

I'd suggest using a throwaway (with nothing linking it to your other identities, of course) opened and used from a public network somewhere you don't usually go and where you can't easily be identified (i.e. don't be the only person in that Starbucks). Where possible, remove any details from your report that don't directly pertain to the problem. Oh, and don't post about your plans or the problem from an account with tons of identifying details.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
A quick informal risk analysis suggests that level of technical security is unnecessary. The content of the message is going to be a lot more identifying than the address and account, because it's going to discuss details only a few people have access to. At the same time, the attackers (schools/employers) have limited options: they can't use the law and they probably don't have a lot of experience or will to investigate leaks.

I'd suggest using a throwaway (with nothing linking it to your other identities, of course) opened and used from a public network somewhere you don't usually go and where you can't easily be identified (i.e. don't be the only person in that Starbucks). Where possible, remove any details from your report that don't directly pertain to the problem. Oh, and don't post about your plans or the problem from an account with tons of identifying details.

I'm not worried about action being taken against me, I just don't want to increase tension between the school and our company which is why I'm debating which action to take at this point. Everything that I would include would simply be statements that students have told me about the class and not any of my personal opinions, etc.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
All this just to replace the HDD

xXYj1Tz.jpg

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
ACLS mega code, PEPP/PALS, and ITLS testing tomorrow morning. Not going to be an extremely fun day

JPINFV

Gadfly
ACLS mega code, PEPP/PALS, and ITLS testing tomorrow morning. Not going to be an extremely fun day

Shh... I still need to schedule ACLS, PALS, and NRP. I need to figure out if my "May 2014" expiration date means all of May, or if my current card expired May 1st (issue date was May 1st, 2012). Basically it's the difference between doing the online ACLS course with skills test at the hospital, or just doing a local renewal course for pretty much the same amount of money.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Damn... the fires down in San Diego County are essentially flanking San Marcos and Vista.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Shh... I still need to schedule ACLS, PALS, and NRP. I need to figure out if my "May 2014" expiration date means all of May, or if my current card expired May 1st (issue date was May 1st, 2012). Basically it's the difference between doing the online ACLS course with skills test at the hospital, or just doing a local renewal course for pretty much the same amount of money.
Unless a day is specified, I've always understood it to be the end of the specified month, in this case, it'd be end of May.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Unless a day is specified, I've always understood it to be the end of the specified month, in this case, it'd be end of May.

I had heard that AHA is making it that there will be an actual date, not just the end of the month, that your card expires on. But since you already have an older card it should be good till the end of the month.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
No...east bay. Honestly I go to assist every onve in a while and it's depressing. The equipment is OLD and disgusting.

Thats the really nice thing about the program I teach skills for, our director is huge on giving us good equipment. Power gurneys, high fidelity mannequins, new out of the bag equipment, etc. Im hoping next semester/year we will get new trauma mannequins or at least fix up our old ones (they have limbs missing). We do have some very old gurneys but we don't do any lifting exercises with them.