the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Find him and take him. Not the shears, the firefigher.

I have and will continue to go to great lengths to get my shears back. We have a connection dontyaknow.

Also my 60 hour shift is now 82 hours. I'm 39 hours into it and losing my mind. I don't understand how you can do this all the time TJ!

Because I have my own little trailer and have my dog with me in it :) plus the 6.5 days off is nice. (Supposed to be seven days, but it's twelve hours round trip of driving)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If I work where you are I wonder if I could bring my wife...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If I work where you are I wonder if I could bring my wife...

Depends which station. My station we can bring significant others since each crew member has their own trailer

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So I'm a little interested in your employer but being gone 7 days at a time would suck for a home life with small kids.

I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off over 2000 miles from where I live ( 8 hour flight then 5 hour drive) The adjustment was pretty easy. The 2 weeks off is amazing. If you take a rotation off... you get 6 weeks off. I used to work 2 days 2 nights 4 off. I actually see more of my family working the 2 week shifts.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off over 2000 miles from where I live ( 8 hour flight then 5 hour drive) The adjustment was pretty easy. The 2 weeks off is amazing. If you take a rotation off... you get 6 weeks off. I used to work 2 days 2 nights 4 off. I actually see more of my family working the 2 week shifts.

Does the pay justify the travel expenses (such as the flights), or does your employer cover those travel costs?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does the pay justify the travel expenses (such as the flights), or does your employer cover those travel costs?

Yes. I make more than double what I was making working local. ... Plus they cover Flights, food and lodging..... everything is covered by my company when I am on the clock.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Because I have my own little trailer and have my dog with me in it :) plus the 6.5 days off is nice. (Supposed to be seven days, but it's twelve hours round trip of driving)

Oh. Well that would be better. Our station is nice but it ain't like that.

PotatoMedic

Well I find out by the end of the month if I am accepted into medic school or not!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
KCCO Black Lager :) good first beer at home

PotatoMedic

Not my favorite but good.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a student the other day tell us, they have only done a few hours on skills, and never actually did an entire simulated assessment. They take their final in a week. They also weren't given NR skill sheets to keep and study, they had their own that the teacher typed up. It flowed correctly, but didn't show any of the critical fails, etc. Not sure where to go with this or what to do.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We had a student the other day tell us, they have only done a few hours on skills, and never actually did an entire simulated assessment. They take their final in a week. They also weren't given NR skill sheets to keep and study, they had their own that the teacher typed up. It flowed correctly, but didn't show any of the critical fails, etc. Not sure where to go with this or what to do.

We had one ride with us yesterday. Extremely book smart (mostly on his own behalf, marine and has a masters degree). Never shown any skills in classroom aside from blood pressure.

Spent the entire shift just giving him an introduction to the skills we mostly use like 12-leads and spiking IV bags/Saline locks.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
We had one ride with us yesterday. Extremely book smart (mostly on his own behalf, marine and has a masters degree). Never shown any skills in classroom aside from blood pressure.

Spent the entire shift just giving him an introduction to the skills we mostly use like 12-leads and spiking IV bags/Saline locks.

Luckily we weren't too busy, so we went over a few sims, c-spining, restraints( She never even saw them, even in class), and then a few ALS assists. I'll probably ask one of the sups if I should say anything. It would really suck for the students if they're missing out on half of their education because they're focused on NREMT written only.

She also said the school and that teacher does the skills testing... Seems a little sketchy to me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Luckily we weren't too busy, so we went over a few sims, c-spining, restraints( She never even saw them, even in class), and then a few ALS assists. I'll probably ask one of the sups if I should say anything. It would really suck for the students if they're missing out on half of their education because they're focused on NREMT written only.

She also said the school and that teacher does the skills testing... Seems a little sketchy to me.

College of the Desperate. It's sad to say but it is true. You can ask the supervisors, I doubt it will help at all. It's been well known for a long time that the program is horrible there. I had to send home a student last year from the program. At least they now have to do 48 hours of ride outs instead of just 12.

Rumor has it they are trying to start up a medic program...

For Crafton the main instructor who taught the class is not allowed to test any students out on skills for NREMT. For the skills staff we can not test the students out on the thing we taught them during the semester (I taught medical assessment this semester so I can't test on that).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
College of the Desperate. It's sad to say but it is true. You can ask the supervisors, I doubt it will help at all. It's been well known for a long time that the program is horrible there. I had to send home a student last year from the program. At least they now have to do 48 hours of ride outs instead of just 12.

Rumor has it they are trying to start up a medic program...

For Crafton the main instructor who taught the class is not allowed to test any students out on skills for NREMT. For the skills staff we can not test the students out on the thing we taught them during the semester (I taught medical assessment this semester so I can't test on that).

That's how it was at my school too, they also brought in other instructors and the program medical director to assist in testing. Maybe I'll just send an email to REMS and see what they say.