the 100% directionless thread

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
54 yo female who thought this was a normal period. I have deep regret that I didn't check her. I was thinking of dr house the whole way to the hospital, all patients lie.

Her complaint was weak and dizzy. She mentioned off hand about the vaginal bleeding, but didn't mention the prolapse. I figured she was very anemic, but this was a winner.

Was it protruding out? I know you can have mild uterine prolapse which stays internal which I am assuming happened in this case. If it was an actual total prolapse and she didn't mention it then that is just crazy. My OB text had some disturbing pictures :eek:

I think it is more common in postmenopausal women not necessarily after recent births.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Was it protruding out? I know you can have mild uterine prolapse which stays internal which I am assuming happened in this case. If it was an actual total prolapse and she didn't mention it then that is just crazy. My OB text had some disturbing pictures :eek:

I think it is more common in postmenopausal women not necessarily after recent births.

I have no idea, the tech who filled us in wasn't present for the exam. With the inverted uterus being a part of that, I would think that it was at least partially protruding.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
0600-0600 24s suck!

I used to work 1800-1800...that was amazing.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
On a 0700-0700..... Getting off two days later! Now that sucks. But is awesome all at the same time. Two consecutive days and 48 hours of work later? Completion of work week

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Celebrated Christmas today due to me working for the next 4 days. Late night Christmas dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
My Christmas gift to myself :)

uzynu7yz.jpg

Anjel

Forum Angel
Called for possible arrest.

Vtach
2 shocks
Asystole
3 epis
2 intubation attempts
Combitube because Fire took off with ET kit.
At the ER doctor let me do IO.
IV bag exploded when trying to pressure infuse.
Ultrasound- cardiac standstill
Time of death.

All within 35min. I'm exhausted.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Called for possible arrest.

Vtach
2 shocks
Asystole
3 epis
2 intubation attempts
Combitube because Fire took off with ET kit.
At the ER doctor let me do IO.
IV bag exploded when trying to pressure infuse.
Ultrasound- cardiac standstill
Time of death.

All within 35min. I'm exhausted.

Like drilling a screw into a wall!

Sounds like a hectic call. Go sleep!

medic417

The Truth Provider
My Christmas gift to myself :)

Careful posting that. When the anti-gun squad get the ban passed they will know to come to your house to claim it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
54 yo female who thought this was a normal period. I have deep regret that I didn't check her. I was thinking of dr house the whole way to the hospital, all patients lie.

Her complaint was weak and dizzy. She mentioned off hand about the vaginal bleeding, but didn't mention the prolapse. I figured she was very anemic, but this was a winner.

What would have occurred differently if you had checked her? Is there something different that you would have done?

Do you think it was embarrassment that might have kept her from saying anything about it?

Anjel

Forum Angel
It has been since Thursday since I have slept in a bed. It's time to take my *** home!

medic417

The Truth Provider
What would have occurred differently if you had checked her? Is there something different that you would have done?

Do you think it was embarrassment that might have kept her from saying anything about it?

Had she visualized and seen something protruding or even just the actual amount of bleeding she could have given the hospital a better heads up. A proper assessment includes exposing when needed and in this case it was needed. The it won't change your treatment holds no water. To properly advocate for a patient you need to do a proper exam so you can get them the care they need.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Had she visualized and seen something protruding or even just the actual amount of bleeding she could have given the hospital a better heads up. A proper assessment includes exposing when needed and in this case it was needed. The it won't change your treatment holds no water. To properly advocate for a patient you need to do a proper exam so you can get them the care they need.

When the pt isn't truthful with you it's hard to do a proper assessment and advocate.

If someone tells me they aren't bleeding significantly, I'm probably not going to exam her anyway.

medic417

The Truth Provider
When the pt isn't truthful with you it's hard to do a proper assessment and advocate.

If someone tells me they aren't bleeding significantly, I'm probably not going to exam her anyway.

If they mention bleeding I highly suggest checking. It allows you to inform hospital of amount of blood, color, thickness, if there is protrusion, if there is clots, etc, etc. Never fully trust a patient. Odds are if they say they are bleeding a lot they aren't. It's like the 911 call where the caller say's they are dying, odds are they are actually a low priority patient once you get there. When they call and ask just for a check up, seems turns out they are dying and you better get ready to work.

Not saying you are wrong just suggesting a way to improve based on many years experience.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I suppose you have a point :)

medic417

The Truth Provider
I suppose you have a point :)

I do think of things differently at times though as I have for most of my career had long transport times.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You know it's a busy day when you have a helicopter on the roof of the hospital dropping off a trauma patient and then another helicopter flying in circles/hovering waiting for the first helicopter to leave.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You know it's a busy day when you have a helicopter on the roof of the hospital dropping off a trauma patient and then another helicopter flying in circles/hovering waiting for the first helicopter to leave.

Figures. I was hoping I could pickup a shift tonight.... Nothing :(