Special snowflake.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
This. FFS, between this and DEmedic's "handouts" thread, it's like the forum went full Fox News Grandpa.
Yeah...not so much. While there is always an element of "them dern punk kids these days ain't got no grit to 'em!" in topics like this...you really need to open your eyes and look around at what's happening in this country.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
the guy who pulled a blanket out of the warmer, crawled onto the gurney, and went to sleep in front of the nurses station while waiting for staff to figure out transport decisions for the patient.
That...is...AWESOME! Highly unprofessional, but still...you gotta love it. Like the flight attendant a few years ago who grabbed a beer and hopped out the emergency exit of a plane...

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I don't know. I find myself feeling the same way sometimes, but maybe I'm just forgetting how incompetent I was when I was new.

It's common for each generation to crow about how much softer/dumber/less-motivated/more lazy/more entitled the younger generations are. I think in some cases there is some objective truth to that - for instance, as older children, my great-grandparents went hungry if they didn't help kill or grow their own food, and they didn't have a TV or telephone - contrast that to a teenager today, but quite often I think a lot of it is just those of us who've been doing it a while being frustrated with dealing with younger people who don't have the same experience and maturity as us.

I have the interesting perspective of being somewhat new as an EMT, but older than most new EMTs. I'm caught somewhere in the middle.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do we think that we are actually hiring more idiots now then the industry was 30 years ago?

Or is it just fun as an older generation to beat on the younger generations, because that's just what societies do?

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Do we think that we are actually hiring more idiots now then the industry was 30 years ago?

Or is it just fun as an older generation to beat on the younger generations, because that's just what societies do?
Are more idiots being hired now than before? Most likely not. But, a lot of the younger generation aren't willing to problem solve on their own and they expect everything to be done for them. And in the field I think that's where you see a large difference, because in most blue collar jobs, your job is to make things work without having everything you need when you need it in a way that is safe, legal, and sufficient.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
But, a lot of the younger generation aren't willing to problem solve on their own and they expect everything to be done for them.

This. Plus I believe a lot of the younger generations want that instant gratification and aren't willing to work towards that.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Are more idiots being hired now than before? Most likely not. But, a lot of the younger generation aren't willing to problem solve on their own and they expect everything to be done for them. And in the field I think that's where you see a large difference, because in most blue collar jobs, your job is to make things work without having everything you need when you need it in a way that is safe, legal, and sufficient.
Disclaimer: I am firmly in the generation you speak of. But I really don't think that we are any different than other generations. Everyone loves to talk about how hard it was to walk both ways uphill in the snow to school everyday. The younger generation meanwhile quietly solves many more tech related issues, yet no credit is ever given for that. We're just lazy and spoiled, which is exactly how I am sure my grandfather viewed my father's generation.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I love seeing stuff like this since I am currently in the generation mentioned by the article, it just makes me laugh. Yes, my family has helped with a lot, but no they do not hand me everything. With the exception of a huge maintenance issue that came up I just couldn't afford, I take care of my vehicle and pay the gas/insurance/maintenance. I have to pay part of this years tuition myself (outside of the loan) since I don't do the work and learn program anymore and need to cover the difference. I've spent countless nights working late just to turn around and get 2-5 hours of sleep and push through another 20 hour day and done it day after day. I've had plenty of bad experiences in life that I really wish I didn't have that I had no choice but to suck it the **** up and keep going. I know exactly what I want in life and while I may ask for help/advice to get there, I haven't ever asked to have it to be handed to me. I know there are lazy, useless kids growing up today, but its easy to forget how many of us out there bust our *** to get what we want. We don't necessarily do this life thing wrong, we just do it different.

But most of all, I laugh because the generation that complains about us is the one that raised us. But what do I know, I am just one of those youngins with little life experience and a bad attitude. o_O

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Disclaimer: I am firmly in the generation you speak of. But I really don't think that we are any different than other generations. Everyone loves to talk about how hard it was to walk both ways uphill in the snow to school everyday. The younger generation meanwhile quietly solves many more tech related issues, yet no credit is ever given for that. We're just lazy and spoiled, which is exactly how I am sure my grandfather viewed my father's generation.
As am I at 24 years old. Here is how I look at it though, we are on forums like this because we are willing to go out of our way to learn on our own and help others, we arent the majority of people unfortunately.

You're correct tech jobs and such our generation is great at that, but that's way I specifically mentioned blue collar jobs.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Yeah, a large part of it is that every generation has probably always liked to complain about their successors. And as I said in an earlier post, I think a lot of it comes from experienced people not remembering (or maybe not realizing) how clueless and annoying they were to the experienced folks when they were new themselves.

But at the same time, there has been a pretty dramatic shift in our culture in the past 20 years or so - especially in the way that people raise their kids and in the way kids are schooled - and that's bound to have some significant effects, good or bad. It does seem that people entering college and the workforce over the past handful of years have a quite different set of skills and a quite different outlook and set of expectations than ever before.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'm 28; and I can't stand the majority of my generation. Folks my age are the first ones to start this trend and continue it to the way we are. So many people who seek instant gratification and think because they pay their own bills that they are hot **** and entitled to something.

Guess what... Good for you. It's called life. You're being responsible for yourself, that doesn't earn you special consideration just because we live in a world where most people are not carry the trait for personal responsibility. Keep on doing well, and excel in your life - I'm happy to see some responsible folks, but don't think it entitles you to anything. That's part of the mindset with "this generation."

There is so much more to it than just thinking kids are "lazy" these days. I didn't walk up any hills in 5 feet of snow, but I don't need that experience to see the culture of victims and entitled snobs every where I go. The easily offended cupcakes and the free loaders that we have incentivized to be unproductive in society.

We got problems, if you fail to see that, regardless of your age, then you are probable part of the problem.

Our culture is morally bankrupted any ways at this point, so in the words of the next president (unfortunately) "what difference does it make?"... It's too late for a course correction.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm 28; and I can't stand the majority of my generation. Folks my age are the first ones to start this trend and continue it to the way we are. So many people who seek instant gratification and think because they pay their own bills that they are hot **** and entitled to something.

Guess what... Good for you. It's called life. You're being responsible for yourself, that doesn't earn you special consideration just because we live in a world where most people are not carry the trait for personal responsibility. Keep on doing well, and excel in your life - I'm happy to see some responsible folks, but don't think it entitles you to anything. That's part of the mindset with "this generation."

There is so much more to it than just thinking kids are "lazy" these days. I didn't walk up any hills in 5 feet of snow, but I don't need that experience to see the culture of victims and entitled snobs every where I go. The easily offended cupcakes and the free loaders that we have incentivized to be unproductive in society.

We got problems, if you fail to see that, regardless of your age, then you are probable part of the problem.

Our culture is morally bankrupted any ways at this point, so in the words of the next president (unfortunately) "what difference does it make?"... It's too late for a course correction.
I knew I liked you. For the most part I fully agree with you, and I'm just a tiny bit younger than you.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess

I agree. And I think I said this earlier in this thread (too lazy to look, ironically): what some people are missing out on, when they feel entitled and take advantage of entitlements, is the satisfaction of doing things and earning things on their own. Achievement, accomplishment.........all character builders. Deprivation at times is also a good thing. It can be a motivator.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Here's an anecdotal story from my life, present time. My 10 year HS reunion is coming up. I libe in a different state than I did then, about 5 hours away, and am willing to make the drive and take my girl along and buy her a ticket.

So, there's a BookFace group for the class of '05... Yay... It's $40 a ticket and it included a meal and one free drink at a trendy little venue in a nice part of town. This was voted on in the group (the cost per ticket part).

These ****ers are now all posting in the group talking about how they can't afford $40 to go to their reunion and one snowflake was like "I don't drink, so can I get a discount?" ... Another has some chick he is marrying from the Philippines or some **** and said he can't afford it because his trips to Asia have him financially strapped and that there should be a donation site set up for others to purchase tickets for him and others who can't afford it....what.the.****?!

Like a whole bunch of lowlifes are clamoring for free tickets and complaining about the price. SERIOUSLY?! It's a once in a lifetime thing, plus a dinner, plus a drink, plus a DJ and all that other stuff... And you're complaining about $40 because you have 4 kids or make poor life choices or are just a loser. If you are almost 30, and can't spend $40 on something like that- you're a loser. And if you then want donations when you make poor choices - you're an idiot. What kind of self entitled *******s would do that AFTER voting on the price to begin with?! And those are just a few examples of numerous people saying that stuff.

I was like- you can't even go to the movies and eat popcorn for less than $40 these days... Let alone something like this.

I'm telling you... My generation- is a bunch of clowns.

Needless to say, I am opting out- and damn sure am not donating a ticket to anyone.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here's an anecdotal story from my life, present time. My 10 year HS reunion is coming up. I libe in a different state than I did then, about 5 hours away, and am willing to make the drive and take my girl along and buy her a ticket.

So, there's a BookFace group for the class of '05... Yay... It's $40 a ticket and it included a meal and one free drink at a trendy little venue in a nice part of town. This was voted on in the group (the cost per ticket part).

These ****ers are now all posting in the group talking about how they can't afford $40 to go to their reunion and one snowflake was like "I don't drink, so can I get a discount?" ... Another has some chick he is marrying from the Philippines or some **** and said he can't afford it because his trips to Asia have him financially strapped and that there should be a donation site set up for others to purchase tickets for him and others who can't afford it....what.the.****?!

Like a whole bunch of lowlifes are clamoring for free tickets and complaining about the price. SERIOUSLY?! It's a once in a lifetime thing, plus a dinner, plus a drink, plus a DJ and all that other stuff... And you're complaining about $40 because you have 4 kids or make poor life choices or are just a loser. If you are almost 30, and can't spend $40 on something like that- you're a loser. And if you then want donations when you make poor choices - you're an idiot. What kind of self entitled *******s would do that AFTER voting on the price to begin with?! And those are just a few examples of numerous people saying that stuff.

I was like- you can't even go to the movies and eat popcorn for less than $40 these days... Let alone something like this.

I'm telling you... My generation- is a bunch of clowns.

Needless to say, I am opting out- and damn sure am not donating a ticket to anyone.
There's a reason I refuse to go to my 10 year reuinion next year. It's not worth it.