Single Role FD Medics

The relationship with FDs are actually pretty stellar, with a few issues from individuals from both sides. Typical for most systems but for someone coming from LA, OC, and the Inland Empire, it's a million times better. The county's FDs are mostly BLS with only three ALS departments.

The selection process is a pretty rough but not impossible. Like I said, they have really high standards. You have to work dual medic for a while before you test out to be a single function medic.

I had no idea how awesome it was here. I took a chance and it truly was an amazing decision.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Before everyone berates the San Bernardino County AO program, let's get things straight. I was there for a few months prior to other employment.

1. You get treated the same way you treat others and for how hard of a worker you are. No one gets treated unfairly. Of course every once and awhile personalities clash, but there's no where on earth this doesn't happen.

2. The pay is competitive with providers in the county. And what you guys keep pushing aside are the benefits. Health, vision, retirement, etc. Pay is also one of the things the department is trying to change. If you have experience you're going to go to higher steps. If you're fresh out of school you're going to get step 1.

A top step fireman without the medic bonus will NEVER make twice as much as $12. Look up the salary chart, it's public.

3. Everyone respects you as a provider. If I'm on scene first, the engine assists me and vice versa.

4. It is a new program, so the county is learning things daily. And the things they learn are making the program better.

5. Everyone pulls their weight at station. If the engine was out all day we'll do the chores and cook and vice versa.

Some of you need to not pass off secondhand knowledge like it's gospel. If we listened to everything we heard from "friends" then no one would work anywhere.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
6. And for the 12 hour thing you were taking about. That was for a surge unit during ski season in Wrightwood. You do get forced to work overtime shifts but so is everyone in the department.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I know an SBCo LT AO that works 48 on, 48 off with the real possibility of mando.

Being away from family for 50% of the year as a base is ********. They Dept exploits their people because people will do it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I know an SBCo LT AO that works 48 on, 48 off with the real possibility of mando.

Being away from family for 50% of the year as a base is ********. They Dept exploits their people because people will do it.
They get forced a lot. One of our medics ended up having to quit because her husband kept getting forced for weeks at a time so he was not able to help take care of their kids.

Benefits are good, having the posibility of getting forced weeks on end with no time off and not being able to do anything about it is not good at all. I'll gladly pass

They get forced a lot. One of our medics ended up having to quit because her husband kept getting forced for weeks at a time so he was not able to help take care of their kids.

Benefits are good, having the posibility of getting forced weeks on end with no time off and not being able to do anything about it is not good at all. I'll gladly pass

Also, the horrendous bed delay in the desert. Hours upon hours of waiting. Even worse when you're forced and super tired.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Also, the horrendous bed delay in the desert. Hours upon hours of waiting. Even worse when you're forced and super tired.
That's just an issue with all the hospitals in San Bernardino county haha.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Some bitter people on these forums man!! Wow. Lol

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
Mono County. I don't know anything about how it's run, but they run the Mono County Paramedics as a third service.

EDIT: Oops, just caught another post saying the same thing. I'll show myself out.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Phoenix fire will stick you on a rescue for the first several years after hire. You can bid off after that or bid on permanently if you like. You can also pickup overtime on a engine or ladder during this time of you like.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Doesn't Sac Metro have single roll EMS to supplement their dual roll units?

SFFD does it for sure.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Sac Metro has single functions as a pool to draw from for suppression.
They hire you and a 3-year clock starts ticking for you to meet the requirements to be hired as a FF. In that time you will either bump up to a suppression position or be released.
The program does not allow for a career single-function.

SFFD is the best place to be a single function medic as far as pay goes; $115k top-step base salary with full benefits and public safety retirement if you stay on the box. You can make $130k base if they cross-train you as a suppression medic.

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
Apache Junction AZ Fire will start single role ALS as southwest (rural metro) really screwed up. State approved their CON. Cheaper living and less people beats any single roll in Kalifornia in my opinion.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Apache Junction AZ Fire will start single role ALS as southwest (rural metro) really screwed up. State approved their CON. Cheaper living and less people beats any single roll in Kalifornia in my opinion.
I will revise my statement:
"SFFD is the best place to be a single-function medic if you want to live in CA, work for a world-class FD, make great money, receive a 90% pension and avoid getting Valley Fever."

Making $105k/yr in retirement (at 58 yo) you can retire to wherever you would like.

Last edited:

escapedcaliFF

Forum Lieutenant
The issue with most single role in CA is you have 2,000 applicants fighting for one spot where here its more like 200. Chances of getting a job are greater and so is the potential to move to other departments here. Also you can buy a house cheaper and taxes are low. I've worked in Kalifornia for a FD and moved here and love it. You couldn't get me to move back. I left making great money for making less but my happiness and my family's is now much higher. If money is a motivator I can always hook you up making $250k a year as a PSD Medic in Iraq.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
The issue with most single role in CA is you have 2,000 applicants fighting for one spot where here its more like 200. Chances of getting a job are greater and so is the potential to move to other departments here. Also you can buy a house cheaper and taxes are low. I've worked in Kalifornia for a FD and moved here and love it. You couldn't get me to move back. I left making great money for making less but my happiness and my family's is now much higher. If money is a motivator I can always hook you up making $250k a year as a PSD Medic in Iraq.
I'm glad you enjoy AZ.

My initial response was intended to piggy-back and clarify @HandsomeRobb's comment. I am a working CA firefighter who moonlights as a transporting medic in a busy urban system. I was born here, own a home in an ideal location and am not interested in relocating (though I support any who choose to). Lastly, I am not much interested in trying to debate such a subjective topic; to each their own.

My opinion simply was that if you are going to be a single-function in Northern CA, SFFD is the best gig around.
As for competition? Test better.
:cheers:

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Just a note. Mesa Az community care units are only being staffed by one fire medic and a nurse practitioner or PA.

And Rural Metro will continue to provide bls response and transport in AJ