Single Role FD Medics

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I know there's a few threads on here about this already, but I'm just trying to get some more/new information.
I'm trying to make a list of fire departments with single role paramedics. Nothing where they require a single role medic promotes to an engine medic, and nothing that requires time on an engine prior to working strictly transport.
Basically, what departments will hire a medic to be single role medic and nothing more.
Ideally in CA, but I realize I may have to broaden my search. Also, any CA municipal/third service EMS departments thru a city/county?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
FDNY for sure.

Chicago did at one point, not sure if still hiring as such. DC as well.

I thought San Fran had single role EMS people as well.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Alexandria Fire and EMS, although there have been several threats to make them dual role.

Maybe Baltimore MD as well.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I know there's a few threads on here about this already, but I'm just trying to get some more/new information.
I'm trying to make a list of fire departments with single role paramedics. Nothing where they require a single role medic promotes to an engine medic, and nothing that requires time on an engine prior to working strictly transport.
Basically, what departments will hire a medic to be single role medic and nothing more.
Ideally in CA, but I realize I may have to broaden my search. Also, any CA municipal/third service EMS departments thru a city/county?
Thanks in advance for any input.
As for fire:
Sierra Madre FD paramedics are single role and only ones paid. Fireman are volunteer.
There are some people still with Los Angeles fire that are single role but they don't hire like that anymore.
For 3rd service,
Rural Metro SD, Alot of places where AMR/Rural metro serves. Hall Ambulance, Liberty (Ridgecrest), American, Riggs, a few others up in the Tulare County, Fresno County area as well as the central and north of CA that consist of mom and pops.

San Bernardino County Fire Department has single function paramedics and basics on their ambulances in the communities that they transport in. It's a pretty recent implementation and I have a few friends who are employed by them. The pay isn't great but the county benefits, retirement, and the prospect of promoting to ff is what draws people in. Check it out.

http://www.sbcounty.gov/icema/main/ViewFile.aspx?DocID=2459

Also, it's still amazes me that this exists in the
largest county in the US and it's one of the few places in California that utilizes medics this way rather than strictly basics, yet I rarely see people talk about it on here.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The
San Bernardino County Fire Department has single function paramedics and basics on their ambulances in the communities that they transport in. It's a pretty recent implementation and I have a few friends who are employed by them. The pay isn't great but the county benefits, retirement, and the prospect of promoting to ff is what draws people in. Check it out.

http://www.sbcounty.gov/icema/main/ViewFile.aspx?DocID=2459
The pay is deplorable, and they are not part of the IAFF. It would serve the County right for no one to work there; unfortunately every dumb**** with a short-sighted fire dream can't help but salivate at being in the same ambulance with a different paint job, that reads "Fire" on it, while doing the exact same job we already do - without the upped compensation.

That program is setting a precedent for continued low wages and "step-child" treatment of EMS providers - now in the government sector as well.

All those fire hopefuls (who 90% of whom will not be hired by FD for backgrounds, psych, little life experience, poor performance, not measuring up to the competitors, et al.) are only serving to **** us all in the future by accepting that job under such malfeasant circumstances.

Last edited:
The

The pay is deplorable, and they are not part of the IAFF. It would serve them right for no one to work there, unfortunately every dumbass with a fire dream can't help but salivate at being in the same ambulance with a different paint job, that read "Fire" on it, while doing the exact same job we already do.
That program is setting a precedent for continued low wages and "step-child" treatment of EMS providers - now in the government sector as well.

All those fire hopefuls (who 90% of whom will not be hired by FD for backgrounds, psych, little life experience, poor performance, not measuring up to the competitors, et al.) are only serving to **** us all in the future by accepting that job under such malfeasant circumstances.

I agree with you, just wanted to let people know it's an option. The program started right before I moved on to greener pastures in another county in California. I'm well compensated and well rested now amongst primarily bls departments :)

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I agree with you, just wanted to let people know it's an option. The program started right before I moved on to greener pastures in another county in California. I'm well compensated and well rested now amongst primarily bls departments :)
I know, I'm not directing my statements at you. Just expressing my dissent of that SBCo "Ambulance Operator" BS.

They even had to come up with a dumb name for it because they need their own "cool" proprietary title to distinguish them from the regular "ambulance drivers."

What a joke, any one who works there is a fool, and ought to be ashamed for allowing such a "prestigious" department to treat them so poorly.

Malfeasance, I say!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The firemen themselves ought to step down off of that perch as well, because once these chicken head political types get wind of this being "extremely" successful while the cost is low... The man is gonna start eyeballing those fire salaries and pensions. They would be wise to not allow anything read "Fire Dept." to be short-changed.

The 9/11-fireman-hero complex is, no disrespect to the fallen, fading away in the public eye. Atop that, there aren't that many fires anymore- they've essentially put themselves out of business with prevention and fire-proofing everything.

It's getting harder and harder to justify the costs associated with the fire departments over the last 10 or so years.

Preparedness is one thing- but let's be real.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Rant over.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Rant over.
(Clapping) I forgot about that. I think its about $9.40 an hour for 24's for basics and $12.10 for medics. Much a shame. Minimum wage is now $9 a retail clerk and I checked on this the other day at a local large retailer is making $10.35 an hour starting. I know a few emts with college degrees that are 3 years in making that. They too work for a large company.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
@SandpitMedic

I had wrote that same bs either here or FB. It pisses me off like you said. Just reinforces the disregard for ems vs fd. All my fire hopefull friends that applied got a talking to by me with accepting such a slap in the face position and pay

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
I have friends that work there and said the people taking those positions will be treated poorly by the FF. They are non represented , not IAFF, can be moved to 12 or 24s at anytime anywhere in the countries largest county. Pay starts at 11.75! And as of now tops at 12.96.
While the ff/pm next to him filling in for the same position STARTS at almost twice that.

Last edited:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Move to Texas. I'm at $18 an hour, working a 24/72, as a lead medic.

Move to Santa Barbara county. $22 an hour on a 12. Living very comfortably while living a couple blocks from the beach. California's best kept ems secret.

Yes, pretty weird how it's rarely mentioned on here as well. All you here is Bakersfield this and Liberty that. Imagine working close to the beach in a not so busy County. Amazing ems system with great protocols and a focus on high standards.. Also, they just beat King County in rosc from spontaneous cardiac arrest with vfib/vtac last year. Their pit crew cpr stats are legit.

OP
OP
LACoGurneyjockey

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a friend who worked as an EMT there a few years ago, and only bad thing she had to say was the relationship with county fire. Are there any other ALS depts or is that it, and how's the overall relationship with fire? How selective is the hiring process?
Is there OT after 8 on those 12hrs?

Last edited: