Scuba Diving?

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
Anybody divers in this forum? I am a Rescue Diver/Advanced Open Water with PADI! I love it! Anyone else?

JB

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm trying to find the time/money to get certified. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

OP
OP
busmonkey

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
I'm trying to find the time/money to get certified. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time.

It's certainly not a cheap sport, especially on most EMS salaries. Well, if I ever get my instructors certification (Something I have been looking towards for a while) your more than welcome to come up and come diving. Mind you Colorado is a ways away from BC haha!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm an OWD but I haven't used it much. I plan on getting more in to it when I actually have money.

OP
OP
busmonkey

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
Yes, I certainly wish it was less expensive. I have landed myself a deal with the local dive shop that I go out with them on charters and just help out, I get a free charter and air, and I meet people that are just getting into diving and looking for new partners in my area. It's a great deal!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm a diver. PADI OW-I from 1994... I just haven't had time or $$$ to do more diving!

OP
OP
busmonkey

busmonkey

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, it's pretty much the same thing with everyone. the money thing isn't a concern, because like I said, I get free air, so I just had to save up for the one time equipment, I think the hardest part is the time - it is a very time consuming sport eh?

sq3hjfd

Forum Probie
Just finishing up my PADI open water, doing my open water dove today

Last edited by a moderator:

Ocean711

Forum Crew Member
As you can probably tell by my screen name, i also like diving :). I'm also a rescue diver with PADI, but I haven't been diving in a few years. I haven't been diving in a few years though because I don't have a reliable dive buddy anymore.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I, too, am a Rescue diver/MSD. I've completed the coursework and almost all the divers to be a divemaster, then had to stop. I should really pick it up again... some time soon.
I actually think it was diving that was a first interest of EMS for me... During my rescue class, they showed us a FROPVD and said "Only EMTs can use this!" and I really wanted to use it!

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
NAUI, SSI - Master Diver, ERDI and a few others that I would have to look to remember. Thinking about going for my SSI instructor rating this fall. BTW solo is the only way to go, IF done right and you have the $$$ for air supply X 2.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a diver too.
PADI Basic OWD, night diver.
NAUI Advanced OWD, wreck penetration diver, deep diver.
NAPD/ALERT special response diver, police search and recovery diver.

I love diving, but like everyone else says, it is kinda spendy. It is great when it is on the county dive team's dime.:p

sq3hjfd

Forum Probie
Just finished my open water dives for my PADI class, what a day. All certified now. Already can't wait to get in the water again, hopefully with better visibility.(was about 5ft. today :wacko:)

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
I am a OWD, and love every minute of it.
Would love to reach rescue diver level someday. When I have enough $$$. B)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's certainly not a cheap sport, especially on most EMS salaries.

It's not that expensive of a hobby, especially if you don't gadget chase and have to have every new add-on for the dive computer that comes out or dive in places where you do not have to take a plane ride to get there. If you're involved with a volunteer fire department, you don't even have to pay for air fills (and if you do pay them, you can arrange it as a "donation" and you get a tax writeoff)

Seriously, I dive quite a bit and probably spend less on it than I spend on new shoes (and I have less than a dozen pairs of shoes and boots).

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I took a SCUBA cert class at my college back in 08 during my EMT class. During one of the dives, I was sick and actually had to end up leaving about 10-15 minutes early due to uncontrollable shaking. Instructor said all I had to do is do one more dive, but had to wait till the next class--- which I never could find time to meet up with.

It was funny, I went out on a cruise last year and we dove in Mexico, but at a beginner thing since my dad is certified but I technically wasn't. After the dive the dive leader came up and asked if I was certified because of how well I controlled my diving and I said I was not, he was shocked until I told him that I've taken the class but still needed 1 dive.

Stew

Forum Crew Member
I've got my PADI Rescue certification, started diving Jan 2009. It's great living with amazing dives sites an hours boat road away.
I've got most of my own gear so it only costs A$100 for a two/three dive trip.

GothamEMS

Forum Probie
Just returned from seven days in Jamaica. Total of nine dives, one night dive, three wreck dives, AWESOME diving! I've been a diver since 1992.