Police Based Paramedics

nhvtmedic

Forum Ride Along
Anyone know of departments in the U.S. that use police based paramedics? I only know of a couple and i know there are more. Thanks!

Andrew

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
for clarification, are you talking about armed and trained police officers who are assigned to an ambulance, and respond all day to EMS calls, or are you referring to police departments that run EMS using civilian EMS personnel?

OP
OP
N

nhvtmedic

Forum Ride Along
Police officers who are paramedics that respond to EMS calls during their shifts. They still work regular police patrol but also take EMS calls as ALS.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I don't think you're likely to find such a thing. That would be a disaster for staffing, as it takes officers off the street to ride ambulances to the hospital. There are a few police-based EMS systems in my area of NJ, but they all use Community Service Officers to work as EMTs.

I suspect the only full-time Medic/Police combo you'd see would be on SWAT teams and similar groups. But that's just my suspicion, I could be wrong.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't think you're likely to find such a thing. That would be a disaster for staffing, as it takes officers off the street to ride ambulances to the hospital. There are a few police-based EMS systems in my area of NJ, but they all use Community Service Officers to work as EMTs.

I suspect the only full-time Medic/Police combo you'd see would be on SWAT teams and similar groups. But that's just my suspicion, I could be wrong.
Nope.

City of Highland Park, Texas, a DPS agency, uses armed police medics.

ShowImage.aspx

(The red patch on his right shoulder is a Texas Licensed Paramedic patch... and you can see the handgun)

You'll find them. They're rare, but they exist and I know of a couple.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NM Used to have this out in Rio Rancho. They were Dept of Public Safety and did Fire, PD, and EMS duties pretty much all at once.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
One of the best known LEO/Medic programs is the Maryland State Police Aviation Unit that works out of Shock/Trauma at U of M. As an aside, the full name of Maryland's Shock Trauma is the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, named for the father of emergency medicine and the originator of the "Golden Hour" concept.

Twix623

Forum Crew Member
One of the best known LEO/Medic programs is the Maryland State Police Aviation Unit that works out of Shock/Trauma at U of M. As an aside, the full name of Maryland's Shock Trauma is the R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, named for the father of emergency medicine and the originator of the "Golden Hour" concept.

If you've never been there, it's an amazing place to visit. It's one of the only hospitals right now dedicated to only Trauma. 24 hours a day they have amazing cases. I actually transported a patient there once by ground. It was about a 45 minute drive on I-95 with a priority 1 suspected spinal trauma. Because our closest level II trauma center was filled with patients they couldn't handle it and referred us to Shock Trauma.

Not only does the MSP troopers have Paramedic/Cops, but also Eagle 1, 2 & 3 of the United States Park Police, they too have amazing capabilities with river rescues and more. From what I hear, it takes a lot of time to move up the ranks. From being a street cop or trooper for a year or two, and slowly move up the ranks once you get your paramedic.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
Sunnyvale, CA, uses combination Police/Firefigter/EMTs (but not Medics, AFAIK):

http://www.sunnyvaledps.com/recruiting.htm

To become a Public Safety Officer (PSO) requires a level of dedication to success not required of most careers. A Public Safety Officer performs the role of Police Officer, Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), something accomplished by separate departments in most municipalities. The role of a Police Officer in society is not to be taken lightly, it is a personal commitment that one must make to live a life that is beyond reproach. A Firefighters job requires a high level of bravery and skill to accomplish a dangerous mission. And EMT's need the motivation and interest to care for people in distress during their most difficult moment in life. The job is a serious one, and requires a level of dedication that is sustained throughout your career.

I still remember the first time I saw a bunch of police cars skidding to a stop outside a building where the fire alarm was going off, and watching them open the trunks on their Crown Vics, and pull out their turnouts!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I still remember the first time I saw a bunch of police cars skidding to a stop outside a building where the fire alarm was going off, and watching them open the trunks on their Crown Vics, and pull out their turnouts!

As opposed to what police normally do... Park directly in front of the fire scene, get out, and say, "Wow! A fire!" :D

OP
OP
N

nhvtmedic

Forum Ride Along
Thanks everyone! I know there are more that operate in this fashion. Hopefully ideas keep trickling in.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Nassau Long island: http://www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/eab.htm

nass104.jpg

The town of Steilacoom Washington, south of Tacoma, uses PSO (Public Safety Officers) http://www.townofsteilacoom.com/town_offices/public_safety.htm

The few PSO depts I've seen typically exist in areas of affluence, with a relatively small population, mostly white, with a median age in the upper 30's to low 40's.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Highland-Park-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Steilacoom-Washington.html

This would help to explain the public's acceptance and trust of the police doing EMS in their homes, and would also explain the need for such a combined dept. The alternative would be volunteer EMS, volunteer fire, or some combination of the two.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I know that there are many sheriff departments that use Medics as LEO. I am friends with an EMT/Chaplain for the SB Sheriff Department. Note that SB county uses EMT's/Medics for their SWAT team and SAR team. They're out there, they can just be hard to find.

I did see one on COPS too. He had both a Sheriff and Medic Back Patch on his tactical vest.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll also note that in Highland Park, I believe SMU PD has EMT/Medic's on their staff because of all the Alcohol and Drug O/D calls they get in the freshman dorms (one reason I decided to become and EMT [soon to be in medic school]).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
CAlif Highwat PAtrol are mstly trained as "first responders" and carry a big kit...

No idea how well it works, but the absence of reports olf mishaps either measn they are doing well, or not doling it at all.
The first dedicated "rescue squad" in a large US city was NYPD, long before EMT's. They had first aid training. They also carried the round canvas trampolines for peple to jump onto off buildings.
(There's something for your private ride!).