people follow me and ask too much when I am wearing ems logo or writing on my clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorrainemichelle

Forum Ride Along
I am a new emt, and was told that I needed to have something on when I go to calls so people would know who I am. I am currently with a volunteer service, but start with a paid company on the middle of the month. I did get a nice job shirt, i wear it all the time but I never know when there will be a call. i keep everything else in my car crash kit, stethascope etc. in my job shirt I always have a pen and note pad. I was in the grocery store last night with my son and first it was a older man that stopped me and asked so many questions, who i was with etc. i thought it was nice at first his wife even asked my son for help on many of the isles that we ran into each other on (both of them were in moterised wheel chairs. but than out of no where wile I was getting yougurt there was a man suddenly there, as i looked up he was stairing at me it was aquward! I asked him if I could help him with anything, he said I see you are a emt. i said yes I am is there anything I could help you with, he said he did security at a local mall and for the supermarket. I asked if everything was ok, he said ya he just wanted to meet me. it was so wierd, he even asked me what I was wearing on my neck,I said st.micheal. he was wearing what i thought looked like a home made uniform, his patch was round with flags around it that looked looked like it should have been on a karate uniform... he followed us around the rest of the time we were in the store, no matter how hard I tryed to loose him. even at the check out he had a single item, i said you could go in front of me i had $200 in groceries he insisted he wanted to stand there. as he left my son said mom did you hear him, he said he wanted to stand behind you so he could enjoy the view! I went on 3 calls before the grocery store, and one on the way home from the grocery store. the last one was a horriable accident. I even had to have my husband pick my son on the scene. I was at that last call till after 1 am. my point is what do i do, i feel like you might have a call at any time. but if i don't have something on to say yes i can help, than that is a issue too.... sorry spelling is horiable

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Have a change of cloths in your car. If you get a call then change into your EMT "uniform". If your not on a call, wear cloths that do not say EMT on them.

My next concern (and more major concern) is do volunteer people really bring their kids on calls with them?

OP
OP
L

lorrainemichelle

Forum Ride Along
we were driving home from the grocery store and it was on the main road for our town. there was so many troopers & state police there, not to mention half of our fire house. It was a major accident and he is 10, he was told to stay in the car lock the door and call dad and do not get out of the car. dad was already on his way he is in the fire dep too. my son was fine, he had a drink and snacks, and was playing video games on my cell till dad got there. he is my youngest but my oldest also just started in the firehouse he is 16. at 10 he already wants to be a state trooper. it was a major accident 3 ambulances, 2 took the criticals before I got there. I stopped to see if I could help, I was told to go to the 3 ambulance for the female pt. it was good that i stopped because there was no other female emt and she was in histerics.

OP
OP
L

lorrainemichelle

Forum Ride Along
and ya i have seen kids on calls i have seen our cheifs daughter 5 on a accident walking with her mom. I don't think kids should be walking around on scene, but if you are a volunteer and you do things in your town when emergencies happen you are obligated to help if you are right there. personally wont let my kids walk around on a scene. If have had my boys on a call 10, 13 & 16 on a call but they know they have to stay in the car not to get out. and i park where they cant see anything going on just the lights... and they are fine.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Is this a joke? You didnt think to leave your job shirt with your bag in your car? Oh, your child is with you? Looks like you're not available to respond.
What department would allow a child to walk around on scene. I get it, volunteers do things a little different. But who the **** brings a 5 or 10 year old on a scene. Ever seen a drunk driver hit cars parked on the shoulder, with or without lights? No, maybe that would change your mind.
How about the "Priority 1 Fall" we ran last week that turned out to be a stabbing with two patients. Kiddo is fine on that too right?
I won't even start on 16 year olds working as a FF, that's a whole other issue.
Either A+ for the troll, or critical fail for mommy.
What town/dept is this?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm just gonna leave this one alone.

Besides saying keep your job short in the car and throw it on if you get a call.

Anjel

Forum Angel
If you have your kid with you then you are not available for calls, and don't need to wear your job shirt.

I personally don't mind advertising what I do, because of the weirdos that think that gives them permission to invade my bubble.

If you really don't like it then don't wear your shirt. Unless you want to be like "look at me I'm an EMT".

The hysterics thing is bull ****. I've had much better luck with male partners calming down female patients, and being the "strong" voice of reason.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I don't understand the mindset of "because I volunteer I have to be ready every minute of the day". So you walk around in a job shirt (with pen and notepad ;)) all day every day? You can't walk around like that and not expect attention. And if I have my kids with me sorry I am not available to VOLUNTEER right now.

So what do you do? Keep an EMS sweatshirt in the car with your " crash kit" and don't respond if you don't want to. Sounds like that call was pretty well handled before you got there.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Agree Ewok....sounds like they gave her a distractor job. I always had job assignments pre-planned to get helpful bystanders, cops or firefighters out of my way....from sheet holding, to being a human IV pole, directing traffic (if I knew them), to sending them to find and bring to me various items from the truck.

Not belittling you here but had you not been on scene do you seriously think that hysterical female patient would not have gotten appropriate treatment or care...or was this only something you could have accomplished and thereby saved the day?

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Yes respectfully don't bring the kids. Personally I never wear a uniform off duty and I have no problem throwing it on when we get a call at night. A lot of fire departments don't tuck in their shirts hahah that could save you some time.

Become a paramedic then you will develop a smug foreboding look on your face and no one will want to approach you. It also helps if you are working two jobs or are in school as well. Dark bags under your eyes will deter people as well.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Become a paramedic then you will develop a smug foreboding look on your face and no one will want to approach you. It also helps if you are working two jobs or are in school as well. Dark bags under your eyes will deter people as well.

I have developed a growl as well.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Lorraine, our advice is don't wear anything that says EMS on it unless you're on a call. Leave it in the car.
I wish I was so polite and restrained. Can you send me some pre written responses for SNF nurses and our frequent fliers as well? :D

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I actually went on a few calls before I was an adult (as a nonobservational third rider) and loved it.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I actually went on a few calls before I was an adult (as a nonobservational third rider) and loved it.

As a 3, 5, or 10 year old? Its one thing to sign up for ride-outs or be an Explorer, but its a whole other thing to be dragged along by your parent.

kal0220

Forum Probie
internet-troll-meme.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.