Obtaining BGL

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
Is obtaining a PT's Blood Glucose Level as an EMT-B in ANYONE'S scope of practice?? ? ? ? ? ? ?:blink:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I've never seen it not in a basic's scope, but that's down here in Tx.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Some counties in California allow it via expanded scopes (not many however). I heard that Orange County allows EMTs to check BGL, but I do not know if that is true (I would be quite surprised if they did).

JPINFV

Gadfly
I believe EMTs in OC are now (well, as of the January 1, 2011) allowed to assist paramedics with obtaining a BGL, not simply do it on their own.

To the OP, if you're at a health care facility like a nursing home, you can always ask if they can get an updated BGL "for the hospital."

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My county will now(sometime in march) allow EMTs to get a BGL when asked to by a AEMT or medic.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Massachusetts EMTs can, and often DO perform BGL while working BLS and ALS. It's a service option-- requiring a simple signature from one's medical director, a limited lab license, and training for the entire staff.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yes, along with syringe drawn episode, duonebs and king tubes.

Yay Texas, boo crappy states that suck at EMS.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
It's in the EMT-B scope of practice here.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yes, along with syringe drawn episode, duonebs and king tubes.

Yay Texas, boo crappy states that suck at EMS.

I even know of a few Basics that can perform IVs, IOs, needle decompression, and D50 and Narcan admin in addition to what you stated :ph34r: Gotta love Texas :D

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I even know of a few Basics that can perform IVs, IOs, needle decompression, and D50 and Narcan admin in addition to what you stated :ph34r: Gotta love Texas :D

Don't they call those people EMT-Intermediates? ;)

BGL is outside of the EMT-B scope of practice in NJ at the moment. The theory is apparently that it wouldn't effect treatment decisions.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Don't they call those people EMT-Intermediates? ;)

Might as well, but they still keep their pretty little EMT-B patch :p

Ramis46

Forum Crew Member
Yeah here in Iowa we can, But by 2016.. (14 or 16) we are rescoping the scope of practice, since there are up to like 12 different active lvls in iowa. I really can't understand why they wouldn't let EMT-B to obtain BGL, its a helpful tool, and its not all that invasive.

Sourmash

Forum Ride Along
In my scope here in Oregon. Had to demonstrate the ability to do so in order to get my reciprocity. Check em daily.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
in Maine a basic can do it if they have taken the extra training module. In New Brunswick the lowest Provider on any truck is the equivalent to an Intermediate so everyone can do bgl.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As mentioned it's allowed in Massachusetts, though I had never heard of those additional training requirements. It's a standing order for basics in Colorado, which is where I was first certified.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

An extra 21 hour class in Colorado and pending medical director approval Basics can start IVs, give fluids, D50, narcan (IV and IN), and first line cardiac drugs under a medic's direction during an arrest. IOs are allowed under a waiver in some areas.