New Orleans EMS A&E show! *Video*

NicholasSpencer

Forum Probie
This show looks awesome! EMT's are so under-rated. It's about time the public gets a glimpse of some of what you guys and girls do for our country!

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
This show looks awesome! EMT's are so under-rated. It's about time the public gets a glimpse of some of what you guys and girls do for our country!

b1c017b071625a0e206114b5362d40fb6a851ed450bad90bde99aba3cadd2fcf.jpg

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Haven't seen it posted, but perhaps I missed it. Anyway, for those who didn't catch it, here's the first episode on A&E's website. Not sure if the rest will be up free like this one is, but its a start.

http://www.aetv.com/nightwatch/video/retaliation

First 15 mins are the same as the preview from a few weeks ago.

Only comment I have in addition to those mentioned is that I find the "Tactical SWAT" strip on the LEO kind of funny. As opposed to, not-so-tactical SWAT?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
And I do hate to sound judgmental, but I would like to beg this question. If you were in an MVC, know you are not in good shape, and see a provider that is all tatted up and has gauges and who knows what else approaches, what are your thoughts? Personally, I'm skeptical, at least at first until they prove/disprove themselves. There is a reason services have a dress code.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
And I do hate to sound judgmental, but I would like to beg this question. If you were in an MVC, know you are not in good shape, and see a provider that is all tatted up and has gauges and who knows what else approaches, what are your thoughts? Personally, I'm skeptical, at least at first until they prove/disprove themselves. There is a reason services have a dress code.
I thought this as well. However, fifteen seconds of watching her work, she clearly knew what she was doing and was taking control. Does that mean we're judgmental? Might be a good topic for a new thread.

As for the show, I liked it. I'm glad it's on their website too. I hope they don't remove it.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to feel that way about tattoos piercings etc. More and more good medics I know have visible tattoos and I know plenty of "dress code compliant" medics that scare me.

Now does the public feel that way? Probably not.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief

Please don't be ignorant unless you were born in the early 1900's.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
You're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover. Personally, I have to remind myself of that daily. :(

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Please don't be ignorant unless you were born in the early 1900's.

I think it is a stretch to call an association like that ignorance. It becomes a debate of social norm, which varies by location, and continuously evolves in each population. Someone who lives with the idea that such a presentation is within the social norm would think nothing of it, which is fine. Its just a habit from how/where I grew up that tattoos and piercings follow bad news. But as Chimpie said, especially with today's increasingly rapidly evolving culture, it is really important to not judge a book by its cover.

I was in the hospital a few years ago for an inpatient chest surgery. One of the nurses was really tatted up (surprisingly for a childrens hospital, again, given the area). My first time consciously seeing her I thought "Oh great". She just so happened to be my favorite nurse by the end of my week long stay.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it is a stretch to call an association like that ignorance. It becomes a debate of social norm, which varies by location, and continuously evolves in each population. Someone who lives with the idea that such a presentation is within the social norm would think nothing of it, which is fine. Its just a habit from how/where I grew up that tattoos and piercings follow bad news. But as Chimpie said, especially with today's increasingly rapidly evolving culture, it is really important to not judge a book by its cover.

I was in the hospital a few years ago for an inpatient chest surgery. One of the nurses was really tatted up (surprisingly for a childrens hospital, again, given the area). My first time consciously seeing her I thought "Oh great". She just so happened to be my favorite nurse by the end of my week long stay.

That's funny, because Austin is the capital of tattoos.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
That's funny, because Austin is the capital of tattoos.

Austin has a hell of a city limit. Like most cities, there is more than one culture found in it. I think the best example of this is the high contingent of Vietnamese on the north side.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
To speak from the other side of things:

I am an advocate of looking professional in this field. I think ATCEMS and any other agency allowing shorts is absolutely ridiculous, and visible tattoos, I'm indifferent on. If everyone had tasteful tattoos that didn't look like they were done in prison, then I wouldn't care, but that's never the case. Gauged ears are repulsive and absolutely shouldn't be allowed.

I am saying that as not being judgmental, but a realist. Medical professionals should be held to standards when it comes to appearance.

I have over 30 hours worth of tattoo work done, FYI.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Good discussion so far, but let's make sure we keep this thread on topic of the show.

I agree with you @teedubbyaw, the professional appearance standards are not there, but Holly's performance, at least from the first episode, is. I'll have to rewatch the episode again to see if any of the others have visible tats or piercings.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree with you @teedubbyaw, the professional appearance standards are not there, but Holly's performance, at least from the first episode, is. I'll have to rewatch the episode again to see if any of the others have visible tats or piercings.

Reminds me of another point. Gavin smoking on shift. At the POS IFT company I was at, some of them smoked, but for whatever reason I just didn't care (was too furious at everything else I guess). But I'll tell you what, I would be pissed if someone smelled like cig smoke while on a SOB call. That's like farting in the weight room.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Reminds me of another point. Gavin smoking on shift. At the POS IFT company I was at, some of them smoked, but for whatever reason I just didn't care (was too furious at everything else I guess). But I'll tell you what, I would be pissed if someone smelled like cig smoke while on a SOB call. That's like farting in the weight room.
Everywhere I've worked, emergent and ift, there seems to be a large percentage of smokers on staff. That even holds true at the hospital I work at

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
As long as the tattoo that is visible is not offensive then I don't see any issue with it. It's not going to change pt care, and do not think it looks unprofessional. Guages on the othe hand do not look professional, especially when she wears her hat half way off her head. Luckily Austin is pretty tattoo heavy and I have had nothing but compliments on my lower half sleeve.

As for the show...Eh its alright. As good as its gonna get for an EMS show probably. We'll see what the next episode is like.

Also for the people that are questioning the calling the pt "baby" thing...thats New Orleans for ya.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I liked the show so far, I personally liked Dan the most. He seems very calm & relaxed on the scenes, also he seems like he knows what he is doing. Its really to soon to tell after only one episode. But it's defiantly something I will watch again.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I liked the show so far, I personally liked Dan the most. He seems very calm & relaxed on the scenes, also he seems like he knows what he is doing. Its really to soon to tell after only one episode. But it's defiantly something I will watch again.

While I have voiced concerns and criticism, I second this notion. It's too soon to make a complete review.

It is better than no show at all.

Also, IMO, neck/face tattoos = poor life choices.