How have you used a SAM Splint?

Dan216

Forum Crew Member
Let's hear how you have used a SAM Splint on a patient before. There seems to be loads of different ways you can use them to splint.

I read in a wildlife medicine book that you can actually use one as a makeshift c-collar if you really need to.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
A few hundred times.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
On humans? I haven't needed one yet.
On animals? I've used them to keep limbs straight when an IV ends up being positional.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Only used them for teaching new EMT students different ways to splint.

My company only carries cardboard splints in 2 different sizes.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Ya Sam splints are pretty handy splints but I have only used them in teaching how they are used. Other then that most places I have seen use vacuum splints which I think work great to.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I like Sam splints. With me, the most frequent use is as an arm board when I need to immobilize an IV start.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Ya Sam splints are pretty handy splints but I have only used them in teaching how they are used. Other then that most places I have seen use vacuum splints which I think work great to.

Don't those get stinky?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Tib/fib, radius/ulna, ankle, wrist, everywhere and anywhere. Unbelievably useful!

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Let's hear how you have used a SAM Splint on a patient before. There seems to be loads of different ways you can use them to splint.

I read in a wildlife medicine book that you can actually use one as a makeshift c-collar if you really need to.

I use them countless times a year - from immobilizing everything from arms to ankles. They're a staple in our service.

MrJones

Iconoclast

SAM Splints make excellent field-expedient cervical collars. There's even at least one peer-reviewed study that comes to that conclusion

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: To compare the effectiveness of a SAM splint molded into a cervical collar with that of a Philadelphia cervical collar at limiting movement of the cervical spine in 5 different movements.

METHODS: This study was prospectively carried out in 13 healthy volunteer subjects. A hand-held goniometer was then used to measure degrees of maximal extension (starting in a maximally flexed position), rotation (left and right), and lateral flexion (left and right) with each collar. The results were then analyzed for the 5 independent movements using the paired t test to determine the effectiveness of the SAM splint compared with that of the Philadelphia collar.

RESULTS: There was no statistically significant difference between the Philadelphia collar and the SAM splint at limiting movement of the cervical spine in any of the measured movements or in total allowed degrees of movement.

CONCLUSION: The results of this study suggest that the SAM splint, when molded into a cervical collar, is as effective as the Philadelphia collar at limiting movement of the cervical spine.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP: reads the booklet which comes with them. Their website might still have the section on colorful improvisations.

I liked the time I had to treat an anteriorly abducted shoulder dislocation. You have to practice. Use a rolling pin to flatten it out again.

I gave a SAM finger splint to a magician who said he had some ideas..

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
Usefulness to size and weight ratio makes them a standard part of my kit.

And I have used one as a c-collar backcountry. We also have the OK to use them as c-collars in tight spaces during extrication.

mycrofft

If done right, they can make a fine C-collar. They do pack very small, be sure to clean and disinfect them before reuse.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yep several hundred times at least lol. Anywhere with a joint I've used it, pretty much, except for hips... that's what the KED is for :p

mycrofft

Yep several hundred times at least lol. Anywhere with a joint I've used it, pretty much, except for hips... that's what the KED is for :p

The SAM company makes a pelvic device too.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

mycrofft

Your company could contact them and ask for a sample, or buy one, or ask the receiving ER docs about it.