How have you used a SAM Splint?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just as a point of interest, the SAM pelvic splint is not for femoral head fractures, it's just for pelvic fractures. It's not wide enough to support a hip, it's simply a pelvic binder. For hip fractures, the old method of sheeting or using a scoop stretcher is probably a better bet. And, we carry two sizes of the SAM pelvic binders, and they never get used.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Just as a point of interest, the SAM pelvic splint is not for femoral head fractures, it's just for pelvic fractures. It's not wide enough to support a hip, it's simply a pelvic binder. For hip fractures, the old method of sheeting or using a scoop stretcher is probably a better bet. And, we carry two sizes of the SAM pelvic binders, and they never get used.

Wow, that went right by me. :unsure: I know better, that hip doesn't mean pelvis. Thanks for the reminder!

Yeah, not much use for SAM splint for hip fx.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've seen it in magazines but can't get my company to trial it. I would love to play with it a little.

Have seen it used once, went on pretty easy and you don't have to worry about achieving the proper amount of tension.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I've only used them teaching students. However we do carry them on the ambulance... like were ever going to ever use em...